PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Training

tomthumb
08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I had the first part of my EYFS training last evening; a Unique Child. It was delivered by a NCMA lady. She was lovely but I have to say I was a bit confused!! I normally love going to training and always find them interesting but this was a bit useless! It makes more sense for nurseries but for childminders it seems like a lot of preparation and paperwork.:angry:
I have not had any mindees yet so it might be the reason why I find the training confusing but having been through the previous framework with my daughter it seemed much simpler!!
The lady said that at the end of the 4 sessions we will be more clued up but I am not sure. It seems like a lot of repetition of what we keep on being told in all the other trainings.
My next training is on 21st of Jan so I will let you know if I understand more after that.....:D

I also wanted to let everybody know that if you ever need any French resources do not hesitate to contact me as I was teaching French up to now so I have a lot of material and ideas if you feel up to teaching a bit of French!!

XX Elodie

sarah707
08-01-2008, 01:56 PM
So... what did she actually say about 'a unique child'?

Was it 'get full information from parents and treat each child as an individual and plan for each and here's a list of suggestions for questions to ask'... or was there anything new??

I've yet to hear anything positive from training... hmmm x

tomthumb
10-01-2008, 07:39 AM
You are pretty much spot on there sarah!!!
We did read the cards and work in pairs to find examples...
Then she told us to look at the back of NCMA book to have examples of observation. Sutton bought the books for us.
Apparently we will have a clearer picture at the end of 4 sessions so I am waiting to see...next session is 19th january.

miffy
10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Let us know how you get on.

I haven't done any EYFS training yet but what I've heard from others who have hasn't been that positive.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Nope the training does sound really useless to me

Good luck yes keep us posted

Angel xx

Raggydolls
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I have my eyfs training on 2nd and 16th feb both days for 6 hours

bubbly
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I have my eyfs training on 2nd and 16th feb both days for 6 hours

Crikey! I'm only being given 2 hours of training one evening later in the year :panic:

Blaze
10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I've been on a 3 hour session with a further full days training in the spring! When I have anything useful I will post!
Tasha:)

miffy
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I've been on a 3 hour session with a further full days training in the spring! When I have anything useful I will post!
Tasha:)

So what did you do in the first session Tasha?

I've been told it's just reading through the pack which I could do at home myself!

miffy xx

Lou
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Iave done my training and my tutur said the same thing, At the end of all the sessions it will become clear...............

................Nope, well not to me anyway.

big waste of time to me, a lot of it was aimed at nurseries, she spent an entire afternoon tlaking about key workers, as that will be obligatory, but just kept saying obviously childminders, you are the key worker so this doesnt really apply to you. oh so cn i go home then please?

Gave up 2 saturdays to do mine and im still none the wiser!!

Blaze
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
So what did you do in the first session Tasha?

I've been told it's just reading through the pack which I could do at home myself!

miffy xx

Exactly that...complete waste of time!
Tasha:angry:

Rubybubbles
10-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm booked on (well waiting for comfirmation) for 2 fridays in April, sound fun thanks :laughing: :laughing:, but maybe by then who ever is presenting it will know what they are talking about:laughing:

ajs
10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
booked on to a taster session on the 30th jan which i think will be read us the pack ok saves me doing it then

deeb66
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I have also been on the launch training....if I am honest I think it wasn't that useful but do think maybe that newly registered minders would have found it quite useful.

I am booked on full days training in February which is delivered by the Early Years teams and for one in March which will be delivered by the Network....so hopefully will have loads of info and good ideas.

chubbymummy
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
just done my eyfs training lasted 2 1/2 hours early years arranged it. i feel much clearer, positive actually!

only thing that concerns me is the amount of written observations needed as proof of following eyfs.

Angela234
11-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I'VE been on the first of 3 eyfs training it was really looking at the pack and cd looking at the differences she pointed out about more outside play/activities.
Have my next one end Jan hope its a bit more interesting
You do get a certificate after each session

Angela

lindylou
11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
In Birkenhead all we had so far is the taster were they give you the pack and to be honest with you i nearly fell asleep it was very boring .
Lindaxx

mummyminder
13-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I too have had EYFS training and still feel none the wiser - training more aimed at nurseries and pre-schools! Does anyone know how often we are supposed to do official observations - I am always observing and making notes on bits of paper at the moment, but obviously it will have to be more official. Any help to make it clearer would be gratefuly received. Thanks xxx

tomthumb
27-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I have had 3 trainings so far and I do feel like I know a bit better. Basically it is more showing you how to use the cards and where to find relevant information and then you have to work alone really. She has given us some samples of observation plans but you can find them yourself online :)
The only thing is as I have not started minding any children yet, I find it difficult to find examples of what I would do in my setting to prove this or that!!! She said that the CD Rom is really good and there is a lot of extra information on it.

I have had an inquiry two days ago but I live too far from mum and she does not drive but I have just had another mum sending me emails inquiring about minding her little boy 2 full days a week...Is it happening??? :jump for joy: I hope so this is really exciting, I can't wait to start. Will keep you posted. I do not post a lot I have to admit as I find most answers to my questions and I don't have a lot of experience yet!!! You are all so brilliant!! Thank you.

Trouble
27-01-2008, 04:49 PM
mines training been cancelled so i dont know how im suppose to learn it:panic: : eek:

Rubybubbles
27-01-2008, 08:17 PM
mines training been cancelled so i dont know how im suppose to learn it:panic: : eek:

why??? :angry: how do they expect you to learn! I thought every childminder has to attend EYFS at some point before Sept?

Pauline
27-01-2008, 08:25 PM
So... what did she actually say about 'a unique child'?

Was it 'get full information from parents and treat each child as an individual and plan for each and here's a list of suggestions for questions to ask'... or was there anything new??

I've yet to hear anything positive from training... hmmm x

You are pretty much spot on there sarah!!!
We did read the cards and work in pairs to find examples...
Then she told us to look at the back of NCMA book to have examples of observation. Sutton bought the books for us.
Apparently we will have a clearer picture at the end of 4 sessions so I am waiting to see...next session is 19th january.

So it's what we are already doing then?

Must admit that I've only recently read through the full framework but I just got the impression that most of the stuff is what we are doing now with a bit of tweaking here and there.

bubbly
27-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I've been offered a bit extra EYFS training. I was originally only being given 2 hours one evening later in the year (in May if I remember correctly) officially entitled 'Meeting The Requirements Of EYFS'. I'm now signed up for 2 Saturday morning EYFS workshops in March/April. Does this sound like the sort of training you're all having? Not sure what to expect.

sarah707
27-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I've been offered a bit extra EYFS training. I was originally only being given 2 hours one evening later in the year (in May if I remember correctly) officially entitled 'Meeting The Requirements Of EYFS'. I'm now signed up for 2 Saturday morning EYFS workshops in March/April. Does this sound like the sort of training you're all having? Not sure what to expect.

My training has been cancelled due to lack of interest... they're hoping to put some new dates together I believe :panic:

Rubybubbles
27-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I've got 2 days 9.30-4.30:eek: must admit thought the lady who is doing it has done loads of my NVQ stuff and she can make paint drying sound good:thumbsup:

sarah707
27-01-2008, 08:34 PM
So it's what we are already doing then?

Must admit that I've only recently read through the full framework but I just got the impression that most of the stuff is what we are doing now with a bit of tweaking here and there.

You've hit the nail pretty much on the head Pauline... although the Principles into Practice will take some getting used to I think... especially how they link to implementing planning for every child... I've been working on planning this weekend and it's certainly more complicated than observations :D

tomthumb
28-01-2008, 09:27 AM
That's righht Pauline that is what the trainer kept on saying: 'there is nothing there that you aren't already doing'. I think it is just a matter of using the new terminology that they use in the manual.

charleyfarley
28-01-2008, 09:37 AM
We were told the same thing.

Same as what we are already doing so no need to panic about it.

I've got the full day session soon, just list of dates, just have to book one

Carol xx