PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on

keohane1
21-06-2015, 03:53 AM
Well I never thought that giving up childminding was going to be so sad.
For months now I have been thinking about calling it a day simply because I am obsessed with it and have let it rule my life. 3.5 years ago I started childmind, I was so excited and threw myself straight in doing my level 3 in 6 months, re-arranging my paperwork 101 times until I got it just how I wanted it, spending a fortune on furniture and toys until I got my toy room just how I wanted it but even now ime still obsessed with making it better even though it's perfect.
My evenings before childminding used to be spent sitting on the sofa watching the soaps with my hubby and having a nice chat about our day. Now my evenings are spent with me on the computer updating policies that don't need updated, surfing the Internet for new and interesting ideas for the kids, or simply looking on forums to see what everybody else is doing. My poor hubby doesn't get a look in now, sometimes I don't even notice he is there as ime too busy in my own little world of childminding and sometimes ime oblivious that he has just spoken to me as I have so much on my mind that I didn't hear him.
Sad isn't it but it's true. So how did I let myself get like this. I have no idea but ime paying for it now. I've had my moans and groans about this job and the children and have always said I can't wait until they leave and go to school but I have never ever felt so sad.
I applied for a job in my local hospital a couple of months ago when I was having an off day and to my surprise got an interview. 830 till 130 five days a week and I got offered the job. Omg was my reaction, how can I throw away this perfect opportunity to get my life back so I accepted the offer. I have given notice to my parents and start my new job on 1st August. I should be happy but I am Really struggling to come to terms with the fact I won't be seeing my kids anymore, the kids I've looked after for 3.5 years. I have never experienced anything like it in my life, it almost feels like ime grieving. It doesn't help that I have no children of my own and I spoilt them like my own. I walk round my house looking at all the lovely memories trying not to cry but I have to keep reminding myself why I am giving up. My relationship with my husband is far more important than any job and I miss what we had together. I know this is hard now but I am hoping in a couple of months time I will be able to look back and say I made the right decision. my life and head will be free of childminding and my husband will have his old wife back.
I have made some really lovely friends through this job and will be forever grateful for the help on this forum especially sarah nevilles work.
So thanks to you all especially Mrs hamco.
tracy xxx

Maza
21-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Awwww, bless you. I felt like that once when I left a job because I had moved house and the commute was too much. At least it means that you have had a great 3.5 years. If you were looking forward to leaving it would mean that your time hadn't been so good, and that would be sad. Could you still occasionally have all the little ones round for little reunions/playdates at yours in the afternoons occasionally? Then you could see them but not worry about the paperwork -sounds bliss! I bet they would like it too. The 'grief' does gradually pass, but the happy memories will last forever. Once you start your new job you will have something to take your mind off it all. x

sarah707
21-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Awww thank you! xx

You're making a big transition and it's scary like all changes. Hopefully you will fit right in with your new job and find satisfaction from it.

Good luck with everything. You'll be missed x

Ripeberry
21-06-2015, 03:43 PM
You'll be fine. I get moments like this (I'm finishing in 4 weeks), but then I'm more exited about getting the house and garden back! Good luck with your new career! :thumbsup:

hectors house
22-06-2015, 07:18 AM
I know how you feel, I have worked so had to get my Outstanding grade that I have neglected my husband and children, I'm trying to cut back on the paperwork so I can spend more time with my husband in the evening (even if it is just watching TV together) but it's difficult. I have often seen a job advertised and thought "I would love to do that" but when I think about having to give notice to all my wonderful families I just get upset and don't even apply.

Good luck with your new job :thumbsup:

Fitrix
22-06-2015, 12:05 PM
It's not too late to change your mind surely? It sounds to me as if you found your perfect job. And if you love what you do to earn a living, what better life is that? A rarity for most people. Surely you could find ways of altering things so that you do make time for other things that are important? Paperwork will sort itself/become streamlined eventually. The other things you yourself have control over.
I don't mean to sound harsh but you clearly adore childminding, you adore the kids and Im guessing you're bl**dy good at it. It's a shame and I think you're mad to throw that away. You can get a new husband?! (Joking....!)
You can at least keep your registration open incase you decide to return?