PDA

View Full Version : reasons for immediate termination

Blackhorse
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if you have something like a list of reasons for immediate termination of a contract in your paperwork that you give to the parents.

I wanted to include something like non-payment over a certain period but I am now also thinking that there might be issues with the children. Say you have a few to look after and one is using inappropriate language or is being aggressive. If you feel you cannot change or influence the behaviour and it is affecting other mindees and your own kids..that sort of thing...

are there maybe any other things you would or are including in such a list (if it exists?)

Thanks
Nicole

sarah707
04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't know of a list but I do give myself 'get out clauses' in certain policies...

Fees (you no pay me, I no work) and behaviour (I will try my best but some children are better off in other settings) spring to mind... also if parents do not agree with my contract or the policies and I do not feel I can work with them to accommodate the needs of all the children then we don't go forward.

Obviously the 4 week settling in period has a get out for if we don't get on.

Oh yes, my admissions policy is as inclusive as I can make it but as I currently have 2 children in the household registered disabled, I state that their needs come first.

I have been thinking very hard about my Safeguarding policy as well... what would I do if a child made a complaint against me or a member of my household - would I take them back?? I am going to give myself a get out here as well...

Good question!! Hope this helps :D

LisaH
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Certainly is a good question. Have loads of policies but this had never crossed my mind!! :panic:

Pipsqueak
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
If you are using NCMA contracts read the points on the reverse such as number 25.

(persistant) Abusive or agressive behaviour parent or child towards myself, other family member or children
Theft

tulip0803
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I have put in my policies that If payment is not received or if payment is received late (mega) on more than 3 occasions I can with draw childcare with immediate effect (If I want to).

I also have a bullying policy which states that I will work with the parents to remedy behaviour but if it does not improve I will cancel with immediate effect as I have to take seriously the safety and care of other children . I also say any bullying or aggressive behaviour by parents and I will terminate with immediate effect.

I state that in each of these cases the parents will be held to be in breach of contract and that the notice period will not be valid.

cloud9
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Mine is basically the same as julia but i would always be really cautious about terminating a contract in this way because of being held liable for the parent's loss of earnings.I think you have to be on strong grounds to implement the termination in case the parent does take further action against you for breach of contract.

I have never had to terminate a contract with immediate effect i have had to speak to a parent re the childs aggressive and dangerous behaviour warning that if a situation arose again like it did on that day i would be forced to have the child collected and not returned to the setting for the safety of others.

sorry im just waffling on now what i mean basically is think very carefully before taking this kind of action, especially if it may look different to you after sleeping on it!