PDA

View Full Version : New Baby mindee questions

mumofone
18-06-2015, 07:00 PM
I have a baby with me one day a week. I have got starting points from parents for C&L, PD and PSED. Just need to get my head around what else I need to do next......

Maza
18-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Do you know the baby's routine? Spend the first couple of weeks just settling the baby and observing him/her as he/she plays, feeds etc. Then you can combine your observations with what mum/dad have said and create your starting points and next steps.

natlou82
19-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Getting a new baby settled in your care can take a lot of your time as you have to learn about them and their routine and it doesn't always go smoothly. My advice is just to focus on getting baby settled and don't get stressed about the development side. You will find just getting the baby used to you and a new environment is development itself PSE, building a relationship with a new adult, confidence within a new environment. With babies development comes quite naturally and as you've got a baby yourself you know that you do things to encourage next steps. Let it flow and trust yourself.

mumofone
22-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Getting a new baby settled in your care can take a lot of your time as you have to learn about them and their routine and it doesn't always go smoothly. My advice is just to focus on getting baby settled and don't get stressed about the development side. You will find just getting the baby used to you and a new environment is development itself PSE, building a relationship with a new adult, confidence within a new environment. With babies development comes quite naturally and as you've got a baby yourself you know that you do things to encourage next steps. Let it flow and trust yourself.

Thank you :-)

mumofone
22-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Do you know the baby's routine? Spend the first couple of weeks just settling the baby and observing him/her as he/she plays, feeds etc. Then you can combine your observations with what mum/dad have said and create your starting points and next steps.

Yep parents have told me a Typical day for the baby which I stuck to on their first day, and plan to continue doing so as much as possible while they settle.

They've given me starting points.

I've just got to trust myself to do my own starting points and next steps myself!

mumofone
05-07-2015, 07:39 PM
The baby I have one day a week has been with me 3 weeks now and I have been observing and noting the three main areas of L&D each week.
Parents have provided me starting points which seem accurate.
I have put all this info so far in to their LJ.
I am unsure how to plan for the coming month/weeks though (or am I overthinking this?!) as my aim with them is just to keep developing our relationship so that they feel safe and secure and basically to provide age appropriate toys (board books, soft balls etc) but I'm not sure how much I can really expand on this?

natlou82
06-07-2015, 06:48 AM
What you're doing sounds great to me. Honestly with babies there's a lot more go with the flow and you'll naturally notice new things. My planning for babies just used to involve getting out different toys etc as their development progressed. Once they felt settled and secure in my care I ventured to toddler groups (PSE). I didn't have as many obs in their LJs but the ones I do have are major developmental milestones. The LOs are now 19 & 21 months and I've got obs coming out of my ears as development is so rapid in all areas. So my advice is to go with the flow :-)