PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

melco
17-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Just after some advice. I received an email from a parent today whose child is due to go to a Nursery attached to a school from Jan next year. She wanted to give me a couple of options and then check cost and the availability I have. These are the options.

Option One

Monday – Not needed
Tuesday – Pick up and drop off from nursery and with you for afternoon
7.30 - 5
Wednesday – Pick up and drop off from nursery and with you for afternoon 7.30 – 5
Thursday – Pick up only from nursery and with you until 2.30/3
Friday – Pick up only from nursery and with you until 2.30/3

Option 2

Monday - Pick up from nursery only and with you until 5
Tuesday - Pick up from nursery only and with you until 5
Wednesday - Pick up from nursery only and with you until 5
Thursday - Pick up only from nursery and with you until 2.30/3
Friday – Pick up only from nursery and with you until 2.30/3

The second option I know will not work at all as he will be counted in my numbers and taking up a full time space. The first option is ok as he only comes two days a week at the moment and I will have a space on the Thursday and Friday and also still have him all 4 days in the holidays. But how can I explain to the parent without sounding rude that basically option one or nothing? Thanks xx

Maza
17-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I don't see what the problem is - I think you are doing what we all do and over analyse situations, lol! Just tell her that option 1 would be great but unfortunately you cannot do option 2. She did give you options! I can't see how it would be rude to tell her which option works. x

AliceK
17-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Just be honest and tell her from a business sustainability point you can only accept option 1. I have had to tell a parent the same sort of thing before.

xxx

lollipop kid
17-06-2015, 05:45 PM
I've actually built into my contracts that my spaces are charged at a day rate and a half-day rate.

The half day rate (if available) only covers one of 8am-1pm; or 1pm-6pm.

Therefore, even if children come to me in the morning to be dropped off at Nursery by me, then picked up again by me, and with me for the rest of the day, then that will incur my full day's rate. (I am the one on call while the child is at Nursery in case of issues.)

The other option you describe - that is, I pick up from Nursery (parent has dropped off) still incurs a full day's rate. But the parent can give my number to the nursery as I will be the one on call if there are any issues.

Charging a full day's fee also pays dividends for the parents when the nursery has an inset day/is on strike/or the nursery is closed due to bad weather/holiday etc., as the child just comes to me for the full day as normal and there is no need for the parent to call me in a panic to see if I have a space available.

Works at my setting (15 'free' hours a week are used at the local Nursery - 3 per day/morning or afternoon). :thumbsup:

(Not sure how it will work when it goes up to 30 'free' hours per week. I may have to rethink it then. :censored:)

All the best,

L

Rubybubbles
18-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I do feel we need to remember if it doesn't fit, you do not have to agree at all to change of hours!