PDA

View Full Version : 11-20

mumofone
11-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Any good ideas on How you encourage children to continue with their counting after they have mastered 1-10?

Mouse
11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Umm...the same as you do with 1-10 but with bigger numbers?

mumofone
11-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Umm...the same as you do with 1-10 but with bigger numbers?

Mouse you have started many threads seeking advice yourself so bear in mind that some of us with no childcare experience are simply doing the same.

Mouse
11-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Mouse you have started many threads seeking advice yourself so bear in mind that some of us with no childcare experience are simply doing the same.

Indeed I have and I am always thankful for the replies I get.

I'm not quite sure why my reply to you has prompted your response?

Simona
11-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Any good ideas on How you encourage children to continue with their counting after they have mastered 1-10?

Children are 'expected' to be able to count reliably to 20 at the end of the EYFS...each child is unique though.
Some can do so...others need more encouragement and appropriate opportunities.

counting maybe achieved but children may just be repeating this...you also want to assess they can understand what comes after or before another number...can they match a number to a set of objects?...they recognise a number when they see it

Look at Development Matters: numbers and under the 40-60+ age it gives you examples of how you can support children with activities
Then look at the Early Learning Goal at the end ....this goal is for children around 5 years of age...keep supporting children and they will achieve that goal in the end!

lollipop kid
11-06-2015, 08:31 AM
It depends on the learning objectives you've set for this/these children.

Once you establish those, then how to teach them the next thing will seem easier.

One route is as Mouse suggested - ask yourself what worked when you were teaching 1-10, and then see if you can find a way of doing the same but for 10-20 etc.

L

mumofone
11-06-2015, 08:38 AM
It depends on the learning objectives you've set for this/these children. Once you establish those, then how to teach them the next thing will seem easier. One route is as Mouse suggested - ask yourself what worked when you were teaching 1-10, and then see if you can find a way of doing the same but for 10-20 etc. L

Thanks LK I get your point but I wasn't around when said child was learning 1-10 hence the question

Maza
11-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Are you talking about your six year old or a much younger child? I only ask because a six year old should have quite a solid concept of place value by now and so with a younger child you would do things like counting stairs as you climb them (for one-to-one correspondence) and lots of counting by rote activities but you would need to take it to the next level with an older child even though you are still working with the same numbers. I probably haven't explained myself very well at all.

mumofone
11-06-2015, 08:41 AM
It depends on the learning objectives you've set for this/these children. Once you establish those, then how to teach them the next thing will seem easier. One route is as Mouse suggested - ask yourself what worked when you were teaching 1-10, and then see if you can find a way of doing the same but for 10-20 etc. L

The learning objective is simply to learn numbers 11-20 because they already know 1-10.

mumofone
11-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Are you talking about your six year old or a much younger child? I only ask because a six year old should have quite a solid concept of place value by now and so with a younger child you would do things like counting stairs as you climb them (for one-to-one correspondence) and lots of counting by rote activities but you would need to take it to the next level with an older child even though you are still working with the same numbers. I probably haven't explained myself very well at all.

Different child maza, approaching 4...

Simona
11-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks LK I get your point but I wasn't around when said child was learning 1-10 hence the question

In which case do some activities for counting, observe and assess the child has a good grasp of this then introduce the next 2 numbers...one step at the time.
What age is the child?

mumofone
11-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Indeed I have and I am always thankful for the replies I get. I'm not quite sure why my reply to you has prompted your response?

Because you keep jumping on my threads only to be sarcastic. If I read a post that sounds dumb/obvious to me I don't then go on it to troll the person who started it.

Some of your posts seem obvious to me but I wouldn't belittle you for asking questions.

Mouse
11-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Because you keep jumping on my threads only to be sarcastic. If I read a post that sounds dumb/obvious to me I don't then go on it to troll the person who started it.

Some of your posts seem obvious to me but I wouldn't belittle you for asking questions.

I am still confused. I answered a question and you accuse me of trolling?

I'm not quite sure why you think I am jumping on your threads? Or why you think my responses are sarcastic? I have certainly never said any of your posts are dumb or obvious, so I'm not sure where that's come from or why you are singling me out for criticism?

To be honest, I find your little outburst quite uncalled for and calling my questions 'obvious' is a bit unkind.

Maza
11-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Different child maza, approaching 4...

Oh fab! Has this child had an impact on the dynamics?

In that case, lots of counting by rote, every opportunity you get - counting stairs, make stepping stones (got any of your paper plates left?), set challenges - can we tidy the bricks away before I count to twenty?, building towers with 10+ bricks, count fingers and toes,

It's so important at this stage that you work on one-to-one correspondence. If you ask them to get seven pencils can they do it accurately? Every time? My guess would be probably not at that age, but I could be wrong.

mumofone
11-06-2015, 09:24 AM
I am still confused. I answered a question and you accuse me of trolling? I'm not quite sure why you think I am jumping on your threads? Or why you think my responses are sarcastic? I have certainly never said any of your posts are dumb or obvious, so I'm not sure where that's come from or why you are singling me out for criticism? To be honest, I find your little outburst quite uncalled for and calling my questions 'obvious' is a bit unkind.

Your insinuation is that my posts are dumb hence your sarcastic replies this morning and yesterday. It's not an outburst, it's a "don't insult my intelligence or knock me for asking".

I'm sure you didnt get your outstanding status without obtaining some help and asking questions along the way.

Let's leave it there.

mumofone
11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys you've given me some good ideas :-) think I'm looking too hard into some of these things and over complicating!! :-)

lollipop kid
11-06-2015, 09:28 AM
I bought a batch of rubber stepping stones for my garden (as I have a mix of children's ages) and I've found these to be well-loved by the youngest children (toddlers) and the older children (2 and a half/3) equally.

They've given us lots of play opportunities such as taking turns when we're using the basketball net - one child on each stone until it's their turn; making a shape with the stepping stones; following the leader; counting them; chalking numbers on them; writing our names on them in chalk - the opportunities are endless. For your purposes, you could write more than one number on each stone (so you don't need to buy loads) to help with counting to 20 etc. Whatever, really!

Even the toddlers can lay them out on the grass and I just pile them up on the path at the end of each day.

Botanico Flexi Stepping Stone on Sale | Fast Delivery | Greenfingers.com (http://www.greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=200552&pf_id=LS8833D&co=fr&gclid=CPXyud2oh8YCFS2WtAod6S8AOg)

Enjoy! (Plus, I've also got some square mats under my swing frame. I can lay 10 of these out on the square mats (like massive Draughts) when the swing itself is stored away - it's attached by carabiners so I can remove it easily for school-aged children - and teach them how to play Draughts. (Or they can even stand on them Harry Potter style!)

L

Mouse
11-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Your insinuation is that my posts are dumb hence your sarcastic replies this morning and yesterday. It's not an outburst, it's a "don't insult my intelligence or knock me for asking".

I'm sure you didnt get your outstanding status without obtaining some help and asking questions along the way.

Let's leave it there.

I would never accuse anyone of posting "dumb" questions and it is very unfair of you to suggest I would. I am sorry if you feel my replies are sarcastic (they're not) but I'm afraid the issue is with how you have read the posts, certainly not how they were written. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me that are totally inaccurate.

I remain completely confused by your hostility towards me, but I am more than happy to draw a line under your misunderstanding and leave it at that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(that's the line! That's meant to be funny - no sarcasm intended :o)

lollipop kid
11-06-2015, 10:35 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(that's the line! :o)

"That's the line!..." I love this! :laughing: :D :laughing:

I'm defo stealing this - can't wait to use it on my teenage daughter. Can see it coming in really handy. :thumbsup:

L

FloraDora
11-06-2015, 11:14 AM
As allready covered in previous threads, at 4 I think the important step is to make sure they understand numbers. Actually 'count' not just chant some words that happen to be numbers. ( know that they are numbers and it isn't just a song). They don't really need to be working beyond 10, but do need to fully understand number concepts before moving on to 20. Recognise an amount instantly, know 5,6,7 etc is still 5,6,7 no matter how it is laid out, be able to count accurately one to one , not just say the numbers and point as an activity that is rote learn't, but count each item and know how many they have counted when they finish counting. Know that if you ask how many ? You require a one number reply not a 12345678910 reply,- 'counting' is the process to find out how many. They need then to know an amount might change if you take something away or add something to the amount.

Of course it does no harm, alongside this learning, to chant the numbers to 20 in fun ways or to count big amounts, it just doesn't come up as naturally as numbers 1-10 in the real world....we sometimes say the names of numbers in order and see what number we get to before.......DH brings in the cereal at breakfast.....the bird stays in the bath or on the feeder....tidying away all the cars ..etc...just to get the vocabulary familiar and to introduce early time awareness in a fun way.
Lots of good articles and ideas here:
Early Years Foundation Stage Activities : nrich.maths.org (http://nrich.maths.org/early-years)

bunyip
11-06-2015, 05:26 PM
A bit unfair on Mouse. I don't always agree with her (in fact we got off to a jolly bad start way back IIRC) but she does make an effort to help by answering queries too.

And I wouldn't presume as to whether her grade was all her own work, just credit her with the achievement and leave it at that. :thumbsup:

Mouse
11-06-2015, 06:27 PM
A bit unfair on Mouse. I don't always agree with her (in fact we got off to a jolly bad start way back IIRC) but she does make an effort to help by answering queries too.

And I wouldn't presume as to whether her grade was all her own work, just credit her with the achievement and leave it at that. :thumbsup:

I do recall we had the odd run in :p:D

Over the years I've been on here I've been called straight talking, blunt, harsh and outspoken...and they're just the polite words! I think my humour is easily mistaken for sarcasm ;)

But I'm a big pussy cat really with a heart of gold and a soft squidgy centre :o:littleangel:

lollipop kid
11-06-2015, 06:32 PM

Over the years I've been on here I've been called straight talking, blunt, harsh and outspoken...and they're just the polite words! I think my humour is easily mistaken for sarcasm ;)

But I'm a big pussy cat really with a heart of gold and a soft squidgy centre :o:littleangel:

Agree with all of the above - and I would also add a giver of excellent advice to that list. :D

Please don't ever change! :thumbsup:

L

bunyip
11-06-2015, 06:34 PM

I demand an argument NOW (you big cheese-eater.) :D

mumofone
11-06-2015, 06:43 PM
As allready covered in previous threads, at 4 I think the important step is to make sure they understand numbers. Actually 'count' not just chant some words that happen to be numbers. ( know that they are numbers and it isn't just a song). They don't really need to be working beyond 10, but do need to fully understand number concepts before moving on to 20. Recognise an amount instantly, know 5,6,7 etc is still 5,6,7 no matter how it is laid out, be able to count accurately one to one , not just say the numbers and point as an activity that is rote learn't, but count each item and know how many they have counted when they finish counting. Know that if you ask how many ? You require a one number reply not a 12345678910 reply,- 'counting' is the process to find out how many. They need then to know an amount might change if you take something away or add something to the amount. Of course it does no harm, alongside this learning, to chant the numbers to 20 in fun ways or to count big amounts, it just doesn't come up as naturally as numbers 1-10 in the real world....we sometimes say the names of numbers in order and see what number we get to before.......DH brings in the cereal at breakfast.....the bird stays in the bath or on the feeder....tidying away all the cars ..etc...just to get the vocabulary familiar and to introduce early time awareness in a fun way. Lots of good articles and ideas here: Early Years Foundation Stage Activities : nrich.maths.org (http://nrich.maths.org/early-years)

Thanks for the link flora, that's excellent :-)

Simona
11-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the link flora, that's excellent :-)

Good link Flora Dora ...look what I found...the National Strategies on Numeracy
Looks like this govt is trying to reinvent the wheel!!

http://www.educationengland.org.uk/documents/pdfs/2006-primary-national-strategy.pdf
This will help you Mumofone!

bunyip
12-06-2015, 08:50 AM
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't. :rolleyes:

Maza
12-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Good link Flora Dora ...look what I found...the National Strategies on Numeracy
Looks like this govt is trying to reinvent the wheel!!

http://www.educationengland.org.uk/documents/pdfs/2006-primary-national-strategy.pdf
This will help you Mumofone!

Out of interest, do you like the National Strategies on Numeracy? I much preferred 'The National Numeracy Strategy' - the one in the blue ring binder folder. I still use that to get most of my ideas.

Simona
13-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Out of interest, do you like the National Strategies on Numeracy? I much preferred 'The National Numeracy Strategy' - the one in the blue ring binder folder. I still use that to get most of my ideas.

Do you mean this one by the Dept for Education and Employment?
http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/numeracy/nns/Introduction.pdf

the National Strategies were published under the DCSF....I like all the NS because they always quote research alongside good advice....also they relate to the EYFS...the one you mention is more for Primary children I believe?

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Early Years (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/earlyyears)

I have several hard copies of the NS ...thanks to my LA being very generous years ago when money was no object and they provided them for free!!

Maza
13-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Do you mean this one by the Dept for Education and Employment?
http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/numeracy/nns/Introduction.pdf

the National Strategies were published under the DCSF....I like all the NS because they always quote research alongside good advice....also they relate to the EYFS...the one you mention is more for Primary children I believe?

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Early Years (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/earlyyears)

I have several hard copies of the NS ...thanks to my LA being very generous years ago when money was no object and they provided them for free!!

Yes, that's the one! I love the 'supplement of examples' that comes with it (couldn't see that in the link). Yes, it is for reception upwards. I always found it really user friendly though.