PDA

View Full Version : Making best use of garden

mumofone
11-06-2015, 07:24 AM
I've noticed lots of provisions being naked down for not making best use of their garden/outdoor space (particularly in winter months).

What exactly is expected? We do painting on easels, chalkboard outside, we have chickens and sand and water play. I will get some more physical stuff like slide and seesaw maybe but what else is expected and how Dyou get kids in the garden in the rain and winter months when inevitably they want to be indoors!

Maza
11-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Your garden provision sounds like fun already. It is inevitable that we list our resources when we talk about garden provision, but try a different approach. Think about what your child's 'next steps' are under each heading (Literacy, Understanding the World etc) and then think how you can address those next steps outside. Think about their interests. Do they like mini beasts? Could you create a mini beast area? Do their fine motor skills need attention? What could you add to your sand and water tray that will challenge them and get them using their fine motor skills?

As much as we all appreciate the outdoors we probably truthfully don't spend as much time outdoors when it is pouring down or blowing a gale. The children (and us) do need to get out every day though so just go with the flow. We once did Forest School in an absolute downpour. There were only two of us left by the end of the session because everyone else couldn't handle it and went home at various times in the session. It was the best Forest School session ever and DD and I often talk about it even now and it must have been over three years ago. The forest looks, smells and 'feels' different in the rain and it is a lovely experience. To be honest we probably wouldn't have stayed out in our garden for that long during the torrential rain, but as I said, go with the flow. During my Ofsted inspection there was heavy snow - not the pretty kind because all kids love that, but the blizzard kind. I knew that I had to get out as I wasn't going to be marked down on that! We spent ages getting suited and booted (Mrs O had brought her moonboots) and then went outside for about ten minutes before one mindee wanted to come back inside. I didn't get any resources out of the shed because the children were just interacting with the snow. Fortunately I had done enough to tick the right boxes! Outdoor provision isn't just about your garden.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who had their inspection during torrential rain/thunderstorm and whether they managed to get outdoors. As far as bad weather goes I was lucky that I got snow.

Simona
11-06-2015, 09:07 AM
I've noticed lots of provisions being naked down for not making best use of their garden/outdoor space (particularly in winter months).

What exactly is expected? We do painting on easels, chalkboard outside, we have chickens and sand and water play. I will get some more physical stuff like slide and seesaw maybe but what else is expected and how Dyou get kids in the garden in the rain and winter months when inevitably they want to be indoors!

Children should have the opportunity to go in the garden but cannot be forced.
There was a big push towards 'free flow' play in the past...some nurseries still use it all the time... but that is not necessary as long as the children get access to the outdoors which, as a cm, you will provide via visits to the parks, walks etc.

Children can extend their play in the garden and explore their own way and plan their own activities which you can extend and support.

Kbrands
11-06-2015, 09:27 AM
I had my inspection 3 weeks ago and that was the one advisory I got. She said it's about keeping the level of learning flowing into the outside area with lots of letters and numbers.

We have lots of balls, bats, trampoline, Digging station, tent etc, fun play things, but thats not enough. She said things like writing letters on rocks, or labelling things.

Also worth mentioning to put equipment and activities out outside when ofsted come. I know it sounds really silly but I just didn't think about it and while I had the basics out, I should have put out more. Or have a photo album of the things you do out there

mumofone
11-06-2015, 09:27 AM
I've noticed lots of provisions being naked down for not making best use of their garden/outdoor space (particularly in winter months). What exactly is expected? We do painting on easels, chalkboard outside, we have chickens and sand and water play. I will get some more physical stuff like slide and seesaw maybe but what else is expected and how Dyou get kids in the garden in the rain and winter months when inevitably they want to be indoors!

Oops typo - "marked" down not "naked" down!!

FloraDora
11-06-2015, 10:50 AM
I had my inspection 3 weeks ago and that was the one advisory I got. She said it's about keeping the level of learning flowing into the outside area with lots of letters and numbers.

We have lots of balls, bats, trampoline, Digging station, tent etc, fun play things, but thats not enough. She said things like writing letters on rocks, or labelling things.

Also worth mentioning to put equipment and activities out outside when ofsted come. I know it sounds really silly but I just didn't think about it and while I had the basics out, I should have put out more. Or have a photo album of the things you do out there

I agree it's about keeping the level of learning going when outdoors...but my inspection experience would contradict the letters and numbers thing....I think because the inspector saw and heard me keeping the learning going she agreed with me that outdoor learning is about offering different learning mainly - not just taking the indoor equipment outside. If you are talking about the outdoor learning in your garden as opposed to in a local, nature reserve/park/field/playground ....then I think it's about having a reason to count or read, a puRpose for maths or reading or writing that is made more interesting by being outdoors. Vegetable labels plant labels is outdoor words - you don't get an outstanding because you have letter bunting up. I only have veg/ plant / herb labels on stones and a bug hotel sign - the children wrote their own label for the bird seed and nut storage tubs - which MrsO seen because we filled the feeders when - she was there - something we do in all weathers, but these are stored in the shed. Actually using maths as opposed to just having numbers up is far more important - but if this learning isn't already taking place outdoor signs is a start which is why inspectors suggest it ...if no other learning is happening in maths then at least they are seeing numbers scenario.
It rained when I was inspected in January and was very cold , but we go out everyday so that didn't bother me or the children....as it started to rain the children went to the shed and fetched out their garden umbrellas automatically - see through plastic - carried on with them up, then as puddles formed,( I have a bit of patio where it forms quickly) abandoned them and jumped in puddles and talked and talked. Hoods up we continued our collecting activity and Mrs O went to her car for her Mac....... She was impressed that the children just carried on...no one asked to go in...they are all obviously used to the weather elements and enjoy them.
Torrential rain and strong wind might stop us but nothing else does.
Fog is good too, especially as the top of the garden /field/ park - may not be seen at first , then appears! Unless you have someone with breathing issues of course.
Our first winter activity on going into the garden is to look for ice. When I first started my RA said I would empty all containers that could potentially collect water ...but I soon changed that and actively leave ordinary garden things out to collect water and form ice in the winter.....the LO's love cracking it or trying to get a big lump out of a container and watching it melt....I do 'changes' work around ice in the winter...I don't go to elaborate lengths to fill bowls with stuff in it in my freezer for children to hack ...We leave things in bowls accidently ( or on purpose) outside and it freezes naturally ....then we play.
Wind is great too as we watch things turn or use our wind ribbons, wind socks, home made tube kites or other kites. We watch the buggies move in the wind too - that's a favourite...we take the buggies and wind ribbons to our local field too ...on the path at a particularly windy corner the buggies always move on their own ...and the field is great for long wind ribbons to dance. Walking through our small wooded areas and listening to the trees is also a favourite activity. Wind chimes in the garden too.
There are lots of great ideas out there - under forest schools usually.
I provide fleeces, puddle suits, fleece hats, waterproof mits, fleece neck / face tubes ..various umbrellas...parents provide wellies that are kept at my house...so I know we are always dressed for all occasions.
It's coverage of your individual childs learning needs next steps, your interaction...the incidental learning, questioning, vocabulary, encouraging focus, problem solving interest in the outdoor world that is more important than labels and number stones. ( though mine play with the number stones a lot, not necessarily anything to do wth the numerals though)..
Look at the characteristics of learning...all of these can be developed and promoted and supported very easily outdoors ...with ropes and natural loose resources alongside the natural world.
PD can be developed obviously too - but if you have a local playground you can go to - you probably don't need plastic slides etc... Most of my little ones have these at home anyway. I have got lengths of decking planks cut to variouse sizes, crates a neighbour gave me, stumps that I acquired by cheekily asking at a house we regularly pass and logs ....these can be set up to be used for PD, balancing climbing up, ramps etc..or are good for den building, imaginary play, forces work on ramps, building etc.. Some trellis and a couple of lengths of old guttering has also got endless play, exploration and discovery value. All of which can be used, no matter the weather - even walking along slippery planks is an experience - with support! All of which can also be magically stored without my garden looking like a play ground too.
I play too....it's knowing when to play with the LO's and when to step back. Loose materials interest me more than going up a few steps and down a slide ...so I think the children must feel the same. Plastic garden toys have limited play and learning value....for the cost I think.

Kbrands
11-06-2015, 11:19 AM
That all sounds fab, brilliant ideas!!

The letters and numbers thing was what the ofsted inspector specifically said to me.
We do a lot of outdoor activities like you, but she really wanted to see letters and numbers in the garden. She suggested the letters on rocks and signs in the tool area.

I suppose it's a case of covering both of our suggestions to please them!

FloraDora
11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
That all sounds fab, brilliant ideas!!

The letters and numbers thing was what the ofsted inspector specifically said to me.
We do a lot of outdoor activities like you, but she really wanted to see letters and numbers in the garden. She suggested the letters on rocks and signs in the tool area.

I suppose it's a case of covering both of our suggestions to please them!

I agree...it's just annoying that each inspector has their own ideas in this area....I was ready for a fight ....I mean professional discussion....about labels in the garden...but it didn't come up really, obviously what I had in her eyes was good enough alongside the practise she saw. I just feel that doing labels for labels sake is just not educationally sound. When was the last time you saw a builder / carpenter/ mechanic with labels for tools ...unless a huge establishment? My DH has a workshop in the garage, all neatly ( obsessively) organised, the children love to watch him work....not a label in sight!!!
Print in the environment is useful.....that's what we should be exposing them to. A purpose for print.
Of course if you set up a work shop or garage role play, it might be good practise to attach labels......but I would argue about permanant ones.....permanant ones become 'wallpaper' and children don't notice it after a while.
I have however used the size and space of my garden to string up numbers in order when playing a game....but then it is put away to be brought out again to play on another occasion....

If only we were confident enough to stick to our beliefs on inspection day....it means so much to our self esteem and future business though that, for the sake of a few words put there especially to tick a box for our assessor , we might aswell just do it!

Simona
11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I agree...it's just annoying that each inspector has their own ideas in this area....I was ready for a fight ....I mean professional discussion....about labels in the garden...but it didn't come up really, obviously what I had in her eyes was good enough alongside the practise she saw. I just feel that doing labels for labels sake is just not educationally sound. When was the last time you saw a builder / carpenter/ mechanic with labels for tools ...unless a huge establishment? My DH has a workshop in the garage, all neatly ( obsessively) organised, the children love to watch him work....not a label in sight!!!
Print in the environment is useful.....that's what we should be exposing them to. A purpose for print.
Of course if you set up a work shop or garage role play, it might be good practise to attach labels......but I would argue about permanant ones.....permanant ones become 'wallpaper' and children don't notice it after a while.
I have however used the size and space of my garden to string up numbers in order when playing a game....but then it is put away to be brought out again to play on another occasion....

If only we were confident enough to stick to our beliefs on inspection day....it means so much to our self esteem and future business though that, for the sake of a few words put there especially to tick a box for our assessor , we might aswell just do it!

What is sad is that maths are just being reduced to counting and numbers....maths are all around us and include the use of mathematical language as well as understanding capacity, position, quantities etc etc
It sounds as if all that matters is maths and literacy...important as they are they are linked to all other areas of learning

Inspectors use EYO outcomes ...with targets to be ticked....sad some have little knowledge of DM and child development
We cannot teach just counting as that would Limit the scope of the EYFS
You are right that we need to argue positively with an inspector as our teaching should not be curtailed by their expectations...children are the best evidence after all !