PDA

View Full Version : CAR SEAT HELP AGAIN!

hectors house
10-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I have a Renault Scenic and can just get 3 car seats across the back but they are all ones with 5 point harnesses, bought a new Isofix one at Xmas 9 months to 4 years and have a couple of older seats 9 months to 7 years that I could take the harnesses out and use with car seatbelt.

I have weighed 3 children today and they all (even the 2 year old!) weigh between 18 - 20 kg and the max weight for seats with 5 point harnesses when used forward facing is 18kg - my problem is that I can't get my hand between the car seats to do up the seatbelt and worry that in an accident or if the car caught fire I wouldn't be able to get children out as not as easy as pressing a buckle in middle of 5 point harness.

Can anyone recommend a really narrow high backed booster, would also really like them to be ISOFIX as I have never been very happy with how my existing 9 months to 7 year seats have fitted? Or a seat with a 5 point harness that can be used forward facing up to 25kg?

hectors house
12-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Gosh 48 views and no one has any advice? :(

clareelizabeth1
12-06-2015, 08:37 AM
I've not got the car but have found that maxi cosi seats often come up quite skinny. Best bet would be to go kiddicare and try a few dear out.

shortstuff
12-06-2015, 09:47 AM
sorry HH i have a grand voyager so dont know about a scenic.

I wish you luck though x

FussyElmo
12-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I have a Renault Scenic and can just get 3 car seats across the back but they are all ones with 5 point harnesses, bought a new Isofix one at Xmas 9 months to 4 years and have a couple of older seats 9 months to 7 years that I could take the harnesses out and use with car seatbelt.

I have weighed 3 children today and they all (even the 2 year old!) weigh between 18 - 20 kg and the max weight for seats with 5 point harnesses when used forward facing is 18kg - my problem is that I can't get my hand between the car seats to do up the seatbelt and worry that in an accident or if the car caught fire I wouldn't be able to get children out as not as easy as pressing a buckle in middle of 5 point harness.

Can anyone recommend a really narrow high backed booster, would also really like them to be ISOFIX as I have never been very happy with how my existing 9 months to 7 year seats have fitted? Or a seat with a 5 point harness that can be used forward facing up to 25kg?

Couldn't you go to Halford or somewhere similar where they could try them in your car

JoRo163
12-06-2015, 10:40 AM
I'd def go and try a few out, before you buy

Jelly Baby
12-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi
I've had this prob in the past and sympathise and know what you are saying.

Would it be worth going to Mothercare and seeing what they can & cant fit in?

Good luck!

hectors house
12-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Thank you - we haven't got a Mothercare within a 25 mile radius and our town's Halfords is really small and hasn't much choice on car seats, I will drive to the next town's store next week on my day off as their car seat range is bigger but just wandered if anyone had recommendations on narrow seats.

AliceK
12-06-2015, 01:28 PM
All I know is that the Britax Prince is one of the narrower high backed boosters as I use one.
Sorry I can't help more.

xx

lollipop kid
12-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Thank you - we haven't got a Mothercare within a 25 mile radius and our town's Halfords is really small and hasn't much choice on car seats, I will drive to the next town's store next week on my day off as their car seat range is bigger but just wandered if anyone had recommendations on narrow seats.

Hello, have just seen your thread. I used to use Evolva 1,2,3s in my little Micra (before I got rid of car and car seats). I remember thinking they were kind of narrow (as I could still get a third, older child in the middle with a lap-belt, and access to the seatbelts seemed easy).

I always thought the Britax seats that I had were good for all of the required age ranges, but your post got me thinking.

So I found this for you. I put in Renault, Scenic (1999-2003 model), 34 kg, age 3 and it came up with two car seat options and a diagram of the back seat with 3 x car seats in it. Does that help?

Fit Finder (http://fitfinder.britax.co.uk)

All the best,

L

hectors house
12-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Hello, have just seen your thread. I used to use Evolva 1,2,3s in my little Micra (before I got rid of car and car seats). I remember thinking they were kind of narrow (as I could still get a third, older child in the middle with a lap-belt, and access to the seatbelts seemed easy).

I always thought the Britax seats that I had were good for all of the required age ranges, but your post got me thinking.

So I found this for you. I put in Renault, Scenic (1999-2003 model), 34 kg, age 3 and it came up with two car seat options and a diagram of the back seat with 3 x car seats in it. Does that help?

Fit Finder (http://fitfinder.britax.co.uk)

All the best,

L

Thank you I have been looking at the Evolva 123 that would do the job but if I had done my research more thoroughly at Xmas I could have bought the new Advansfix which is from 9 - 36 kg but the 5 point harness is tested up to 25kg instead of 18kg, which would have done for my very chunky (20kg) 2 1/2 year old mindee as I don't feel that at 2 years old he can be trusted in a seat belt. I was wondering about still strapping him in my Britax Duo Plus with the 5 point harness so he can't escape and then using the 3 point seat belt across him - the 5 point harness wouldn't take the impact in a crash the normal seat belt would.

Think the Advansfix was only launched in Feb 2015 which is prob why I paid half price for my Duo Plus - looks like the Advansfix is replaced it.

lollipop kid
12-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Thank you I have been looking at the Evolva 123 that would do the job but if I had done my research more thoroughly at Xmas I could have bought the new Advansfix which is from 9 - 36 kg but the 5 point harness is tested up to 25kg instead of 18kg, which would have done for my very chunky (20kg) 2 1/2 year old mindee as I don't feel that at 2 years old he can be trusted in a seat belt. I was wondering about still strapping him in my Britax Duo Plus with the 5 point harness so he can't escape and then using the 3 point seat belt across him - the 5 point harness wouldn't take the impact in a crash the normal seat belt would.

Think the Advansfix was only launched in Feb 2015 which is prob why I paid half price for my Duo Plus - looks like the Advansfix is replaced it.

Cool. The reason I went for the Britax Evolva 123, was that they said they were good for the age range 9 months to 12 years and 36 kg. They now do a Plus model with Isofix (still the same age range). If it helps, I think they have details of it on the link I sent you.

(I sold my two Evolva 123s for £50 each - they were immaculate as well, and I drive like a Granny, so they had never been in an impact of any kind. Hey ho.)

All the best,

L