PDA

View Full Version : Question about contacting previous childminders?!

hel187
10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I am a newly registered childminder and have accepted my first full-time placement. The child has been with another childminder for a year, his parents have told me that this childminder has moved out of the area (which I suspect is not true, as I know who she is and she is still around) I have requested info from his parents from his previous childminder to help me with his starting points (including two year progress check) but they have not yet materialised (three weeks in) I really don't know how to broach this subject with the parents (do I have to? am I being impatient?!) any advice/comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

sarah707
10-06-2015, 06:54 PM
It has to come through parents - you can't go behind their back :/

I would be very cautious if you think parents are lying to you. It's not a good start to a relationship.

You are still in your settling-in period. You need to have a meeting and ask for honesty x

Ripeberry
11-06-2015, 06:58 AM
I'd start from scratch. The parents don't have to tell you anything about the previous CM. Could be that they left on bad terms. Just hope it's not the parents who caused the trouble.

Mouse
11-06-2015, 08:21 AM
If I know the previous childminder I ask them to provide me with some information. If they don't have a transfer form I send them a copy and ask them to complete it. Most of them are happy to help.

If I don't now the previous childminder I ask parents if they would request some info, or if they have a LJ or anything they could let me have a look at. Sometimes I get something, but more often that not I don't. Same if the child comes to me from a nursery. Parents often do have a LJ from nursery, but the information in it is usually limited to a couple of vague observations and a poorly completed assessment form.

I do my own starting points anyway, so if I don't have any info from a previous setting I just start from scratch.

Simona
11-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone,
I am a newly registered childminder and have accepted my first full-time placement. The child has been with another childminder for a year, his parents have told me that this childminder has moved out of the area (which I suspect is not true, as I know who she is and she is still around) I have requested info from his parents from his previous childminder to help me with his starting points (including two year progress check) but they have not yet materialised (three weeks in) I really don't know how to broach this subject with the parents (do I have to? am I being impatient?!) any advice/comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It would have been good of the previous CM to forward her last assessment of the child as she handed the LJ to the parents.

Those would have been your starting points...assess her achievements now and move on.
If no records have been passed on just record this in the child's file and start all over again.

Unfortunately many providers do not understand the need to inform the next provider...don't let that put you off
It happens a lot ...think positive and work with the parents :thumbsup:

hel187
14-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone, great advice!! I really appreciate it;)