PDA

View Full Version : Maths outside

mumofone
09-06-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm struggling with working anything maths related into outdoor/outside activities! Does anyone have any good suggestions? :-)

sing-low
09-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm struggling with working anything maths related into outdoor/outside activities! Does anyone have any good suggestions? :-)
Hopscotch, what's the time Mr Wolf?, building (shapes & spatial awareness), growing flowers (passage of time), human sundials, timing running races, counting can be added to just about anything as can addition and subtraction ( e.g. Two children, one rake, how many more do we need so you can have one each?).

Simona
09-06-2015, 08:28 AM

Maths goes on around us inside and outside.
Check Development Matters :numbers and shape/space/measure for guidance.

Other activities examples are sand, water, construction, planting, climbing, large/small physical equipment and ...above all 'PLAY'!

bunyip
09-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Count sheep.

Try to stay awake. :yawning:

mumofone
09-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Count sheep. Try to stay awake. :yawning:

If you haven't anything helpful to say bunyip..... ;-)

sing-low
09-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Maths goes on around us inside and outside. Check Development Matters :numbers and shape/space/measure for guidance. Other activities examples are sand, water, construction, planting, climbing, large/small physical equipment and ...above all 'PLAY'!

Do you have a copy of Development Matters, Mumofone? I'm guessing possibly not as you are newly registered. You can find it here:
http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2012/03/Development-Matters-FINAL-PRINT-AMENDED.pdf

A great resource, one I often use. By looking at the Positive Relationships and Enabling Environments columns, it helps me to understand better what the unique child column aka observations or Early Years Outcomes actually mean.

mumofone
09-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Do you have a copy of Development Matters, Mumofone? I'm guessing possibly not as you are newly registered. You can find it here: http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2012/03/Development-Matters-FINAL-PRINT-AMENDED.pdf A great resource, one I often use. By looking at the Positive Relationships and Enabling Environments columns, it helps me to understand better what the unique child column aka observations or Early Years Outcomes actually mean.

Yes I do have it but thanks!

Rick
09-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Have a look at this

bunyip
09-06-2015, 08:13 PM
If you haven't anything helpful to say bunyip..... ;-)

I live in a village.

With sheep.

They are hard to count, the woolly little blighters to keep moving around.

Actually, the Ministry of Agriculture, etc. uses satellites to count them ever since they found that farmers were claiming EU grants for far more sheep than could possibly exist in Britain.................. the naughty Archers types just kept moving them from farm to farm whilst adding to the numbers on the support grant farms. :eek:

Not sure where satellites fit into EY Outcomes. :huh:

bunyip
09-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Lots of outdoor maths will cross over with historical and respect for other cultures. Like the maths that went into the building of the pyramids and classical architecture. :)

sing-low
09-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Yes I do have it but thanks!
Ok, great. Interestingly, my four year old asked today 'What is Maths?', which I have to admit rather stumped me. DS's reply was 'It's about numbers.' Yes? No? Maybe?

mumofone
09-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Ok, great. Interestingly, my four year old asked today 'What is Maths?', which I have to admit rather stumped me. DS's reply was 'It's about numbers.' Yes? No? Maybe?

Lol love it!

hectors house
10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I live in a village.

With sheep.

They are hard to count, the woolly little blighters to keep moving around.

Actually, the Ministry of Agriculture, etc. uses satellites to count them ever since they found that farmers were claiming EU grants for far more sheep than could possibly exist in Britain.................. the naughty Archers types just kept moving them from farm to farm whilst adding to the numbers on the support grant farms. :eek:

Not sure where satellites fit into EY Outcomes. :huh:

Understanding the World - Technology - age 40 - 60 YEARS - I am still working at 30 - 50 YEARS so still don't understand satellites!

bunyip
10-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Choose life, choose a career, choose a job, choose a clucking big sheep. Count sheep, count trees, count anything, look for numbers all around, on doors, on road signs, on adverts, telephone numbers, what are different numbers used for? sequences (house numbers), barcodes, money, prices, go shopping, calculate the change (subtraction), grouping, domestic mammals have 4 legs, insects have 6, fish none, birds 2, so do humans, so are we birds? - discuss, shapes, what shapes can you see? road signs uses shapes to denote meaning, architecture - what shapes can you use to make a building? engineering - how do cogs work? design - what shapes, sizes, etc. give strength to building a den? comparisons - bigger, smaller, faster, longer, heavier, lighter, full, empty, walk round a football pitch - you just learnt about a perimeter, now what about the area? the shapes made by all the lines? it has 2 halves (fractions) so does a football match (time), the halves are the same (symmetry), use found objects (pebbles, nuts, pine cones, anything - OK, not used syringes :p ) for exercises in addition, subtraction, take a calculator and use that too, division - collect sticks and share them out, how many does each person have? patterns and sequences in music, ice cream van chimes (and have a 99 while you're there - but why is it called a "99"?) and why is WD40 called WD40? there is a mathematical reason! multiply the number of bricks in a row by the number of rows and you know how many bricks there are, congratulations, now you're a quantity surveyor! estimate how many cows in a field before counting to check, take a tape measure and measure stuff, how tall is that sheep anyway? (and what did John Masefield want with a tall one??? :huh: ) take a stopwatch and time cars, running races, and more, tell the time from the church clock - gotta go.

Mouse
10-06-2015, 09:29 AM
and why is WD40 called WD40? .

Well, you learn something new every day :D

I googled it and now have another snippet of information to share with my family, who will no doubt roll their eyes and mutter the usual "for crying out loud mum!" They don't share my enthusiasm for obscure and interesting facts :laughing:

TinyTinker
10-06-2015, 11:09 AM
I have large numbers that I cut out of eva foam sheets hanging in my trees! I ask them to spot the numbers in the trees!....also we do games where I ask them to go collect 4 leafs, go collect 3 stones, go collect 1 twig and 2 balls etc...... for quanities use sand a water tables - which tub/cup etc has more sand in, which sand castle is taller, which boat in the water is smaller and which one bigger etc etc....

bunyip
10-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Well, you learn something new every day :D

I googled it and now have another snippet of information to share with my family, who will no doubt roll their eyes and mutter the usual "for crying out loud mum!" They don't share my enthusiasm for obscure and interesting facts :laughing:

Something really worth knowing.................

If you keep losing the little red straws that come with the WD40, just email the company with your address and a request, and they'll post some out to you. :thumbsup:

mumofone
10-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Choose life, choose a career, choose a job, choose a clucking big sheep. Count sheep, count trees, count anything, look for numbers all around, on doors, on road signs, on adverts, telephone numbers, what are different numbers used for? sequences (house numbers), barcodes, money, prices, go shopping, calculate the change (subtraction), grouping, domestic mammals have 4 legs, insects have 6, fish none, birds 2, so do humans, so are we birds? - discuss, shapes, what shapes can you see? road signs uses shapes to denote meaning, architecture - what shapes can you use to make a building? engineering - how do cogs work? design - what shapes, sizes, etc. give strength to building a den? comparisons - bigger, smaller, faster, longer, heavier, lighter, full, empty, walk round a football pitch - you just learnt about a perimeter, now what about the area? the shapes made by all the lines? it has 2 halves (fractions) so does a football match (time), the halves are the same (symmetry), use found objects (pebbles, nuts, pine cones, anything - OK, not used syringes :p ) for exercises in addition, subtraction, take a calculator and use that too, division - collect sticks and share them out, how many does each person have? patterns and sequences in music, ice cream van chimes (and have a 99 while you're there - but why is it called a "99"?) and why is WD40 called WD40? there is a mathematical reason! multiply the number of bricks in a row by the number of rows and you know how many bricks there are, congratulations, now you're a quantity surveyor! estimate how many cows in a field before counting to check, take a tape measure and measure stuff, how tall is that sheep anyway? (and what did John Masefield want with a tall one??? :huh: ) take a stopwatch and time cars, running races, and more, tell the time from the church clock - gotta go.

Choose life eh bunyip ;-)

sing-low
10-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Something really worth knowing................. If you keep losing the little red straws that come with the WD40, just email the company with your address and a request, and they'll post some out to you. :thumbsup:
Surely now they'll just tell you to buy the new super-duper straw stays attached and flips up product? (Used by me today to get enamel paint off my hands - I wouldn't have thought of it if hadn't seen this thread).

bunyip
11-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Don't you find the old red straws are bendier and get into more nooks and crannies?

Plenty of old-school hardware shops with a few decades-worth of the old tins in the stock room. :D

FloraDora
11-06-2015, 08:51 PM
I thought of you today when I purchased a whole lamb from my butcher - fractions, - how many chops- joints - what really floored me was how many legs Of lamb I would have? Uughhh ....elderly moment!!!
I have been 'counting sheep ' all afternoon as I share the lamb with friends, counting the chops and shanks .......

loocyloo
11-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I thought of you today when I purchased a whole lamb from my butcher - fractions, - how many chops- joints - what really floored me was how many legs Of lamb I would have? Uughhh ....elderly moment!!!
I have been 'counting sheep ' all afternoon as I share the lamb with friends, counting the chops and shanks .......

Lol ... we get a lamb too ... and legs of lamb always confuse me! Legs and shoulders and whole legs ... and then one time the butcher gave us 'lamb lap' !!! Can't remember what else it is called now, but along with the little ribs makes a yummy casserole!

lollipop kid
12-06-2015, 07:21 AM

FloraDora, you just reminded me of one time I was babysitting a couple of siblings (5 and 7) when I was a teenager. Mum had left a roast chicken for dinner, and I had just cut off some meat for them when one of them said to me, "Did you know that some chickens have 6 legs?"

I asked what made them think that, and they replied, "because you get 6 in a packet" and proceeded to open their Mum's freezer and show me the packet as proof. (I then had them looking at the roast chicken to confirm that they only have 2 legs, actually, but it still made me chuckle.)

:laughing:

L

bunyip
12-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Lol ... we get a lamb too ... and legs of lamb always confuse me! Legs and shoulders and whole legs ... and then one time the butcher gave us 'lamb lap' !!! Can't remember what else it is called now, but along with the little ribs makes a yummy casserole!

I've never figured out how you can get shoulder of lamb when sheep don't have arms. (? :huh: ?)

Maza
12-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm cracking up here at the way we all digress! You never know where your original post will lead... :laughing:

watford wizz
12-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I d add prawn balls and chicken nuggets to unknown body parts ???