PDA

View Full Version : Mint

mumofone
06-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Anyone on here growing mint and do you use it in any recipes with the children? If so which ones? All I can think of is lamb and can't see me doing a roast dinner for mindees!!

moggy
06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
You can add mint to playdough, pour boiling water on it for mint tea, chop into cooked couscous/quinoa/buckwheat, chop on butter boiled potatoes. Add it just before serving or it goes black. Let children use it in mud pies/potions.

Natural Mint Play Dough Recipe - The Imagination Tree (http://theimaginationtree.com/2014/05/natural-mint-play-dough-recipe.html)
Add chopped mint, and/or substitute mint tea bag for bunch of fresh mint.

Simona
06-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Anyone on here growing mint and do you use it in any recipes with the children? If so which ones? All I can think of is lamb and can't see me doing a roast dinner for mindees!!

Grow mint in your garden and let the children smell it...touch it, rub it in their hands
that's is part of having a sensory garden...my inspector loved it !

Mouse
06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Grow mint in your garden and let the children smell it...touch it, rub it in their hands
that's is part of having a sensory garden...my inspector loved it !

We do that with lavender. the children help pick it then we use it in play dough, or mixed in with sand, rice etc. Smells lovely and very calming :thumbsup:

bunyip
07-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Mint can be used sparingly or as a garnish to fruits, particularly strawberry, grapes, pears and fruit salad. Experiment with small amounts in fruit smoothies and milkshakes.

If you're growing it in open soil, you'll find another activity for the children will be hacking it back regularly as it can grow and spread like crazy. I have a risk assessment for Agent Orange if you need it. :rolleyes:

FloraDora
07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
The good old 70's mint and melon balls is great - the children love using the tool to make balls, cut up the mint - we whizz it to shred and sprinkle.
My 4 year old loves mint tea - but I do like it with a little bit of sugar and so he does too - which is not a good example to set!
Mint with mixed salad leavesis good - I give the children a little basket and they go around the garden and pick their salad , chard, beetroot leaves, lettuce etc...they wash them and then love spinning the salad spinner - for their lunch.

I grow mint in pots buried in my herb garden to contain the spread.

Smiley
07-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks for reminding me about melon balls. Great for fine motor skills :)

messyplay
07-06-2015, 04:19 PM
goes nice with a pimms and ice after work of course:laughing::laughing

mumofone
07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Haha very good point!! :-)

Maza
07-06-2015, 08:13 PM

I was just going to write pimms! (And of course the 'after work' bit!)