PDA

View Full Version : Childcare paid by job centre?

Amanda70
03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Hi, Im waiting for my certificate to arrive but have a mum who wants me to look after her 12 month old and 4 year old. She is starting work experience with the job centre and they have said they will find her ongoing work experience. I understand that the job centre will pay the childcare straight into my bank account and presume this will be in arrears. Looking on this forum I notice childminders usually ask for an upfront fee and deposit, now I cant really do this can I because the mom is going to do work experience and not earning. Has anybody else come across this? My first mindees and already not straight forward :)

I appreciate any comments you may have, thank you, I would be lost without this forum :)

Ripeberry
03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't take this on as your first client. No end of problems :(

Amanda70
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't take this on as your first client. No end of problems :(

What kind of problems do you think?

Simona
03-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Hi, Im waiting for my certificate to arrive but have a mum who wants me to look after her 12 month old and 4 year old. She is starting work experience with the job centre and they have said they will find her ongoing work experience. I understand that the job centre will pay the childcare straight into my bank account and presume this will be in arrears. Looking on this forum I notice childminders usually ask for an upfront fee and deposit, now I cant really do this can I because the mom is going to do work experience and not earning. Has anybody else come across this? My first mindees and already not straight forward :)

I appreciate any comments you may have, thank you, I would be lost without this forum :)

You will need something in writing from the Job centre confirming they will pay you....do not accept promises.
I feel this could also be an enquiry for the DWP to answer....their rules on those seeking employment are very complex

If you belong to a representing association please contact them and seek expert advice.

bunyip
03-06-2015, 05:17 PM
What kind of problems do you think?

I've no direct experience but know of several CMs who have. This comes up as a regular problem thread on the forum.

Jobcentre pays in arrears, pays late and frequently doesn't pay at all.

Most commonly, the CM finds the parent hasn't been attending the work experience (even though the child has been with the CM) and the Jobcentre refuses to pay because payment is entirely dependent on the parent attending as agreed. Or if they jack it in, they leave and you get no notice whatsoever.

You will have absolutely no hold over the parent in terms of them sending the child, attending the work placement, or giving you anything more than immediate notice. The parent doesn't pay you, has left no advance down payment and, it is a sad aspect of human nature that human beings tend not to give a dingo's kidney about anything that doesn't cost them a penny of their own money.

At best, it is a very insecure arrangement that leaves you worrying.

At worst, expect to work days or weeks for nothing, and you may not find out until you've been doing it for several weeks. :(

watford wizz
03-06-2015, 08:14 PM
I've done this in the past and got "burnt" so now only do it with returnable deposit in place. Sometimes social will pay this otherwise the parent/s pay it by using saving, borrowing from family. I find if they are genuinely up for wanting to learn/work they find it somewhere. I've even known the employer pay it x

Ripeberry
03-06-2015, 08:54 PM
As others have said. It's risky. Hope you find another family who will pay in advance. It's best to wait for the right one, than to start with the wrong family and then you end up hating CM!