PDA

View Full Version : Childcare voucher scheme ending did you know?

Kirstylob
03-06-2015, 05:55 AM
Morning all, I saw this this morning and wondered if anyone seen had seen it. I didn't know about it and wondered how it might affect us. Presumably all current Parents using the voucher scheme would have been informed?

'Childcare vouchers end in autumn UNLESS you sign up beforehand.*And from then, 'Tax-Free Childcare' starts. Working parents - if a couple - both must work can put £80 in an account to pay for childcare and £20 is added (max addition £2,000/yr per child). See full*Tax-Free Childcare*info. At that point, the current childcare voucher scheme closes to new applicants. Each scheme has winners and losers, so you need to decide ASAP which is best for you. See our full analysis on*childcare vouchers vs Tax-Free Childcare.

loocyloo
03-06-2015, 06:23 AM
:-) I've just encouraged one mum to sign up to vouchers as I think she'll be better off with the voucher system than the new system.
If parents already use vouchers they can continue to do so, but if they don't, they can't start using them after August!
But if a family stop using vouchers they then can't go back to using them. It's s bit confusing.

What I don't understand is what happens to single parent families or families where only one parent works but the other is unable to care for the children?

Mouse
03-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Presumably all current Parents using the voucher scheme would have been informed?

The voucher scheme isn't ending, so parents already using it will be able to continue with it until their employer stops providing the scheme, the parent leaves the scheme, or the child is too old to qualify.
No one new will be able to sign up to it after Autumn 2015, although I haven't seen a definite date anywhere yet.

This article is useful in deciding if you're better off with tax credits, employer vouchers or tax-free childcare:

Childcare vouchers: save £1,000/year - MoneySavingExpert (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/childcare-vouchers)

hectors house
03-06-2015, 07:20 AM
I have a new baby starting settling in sessions in Sept for when her mum returns to work in October, will this mum miss out on voucher scheme then as I don't think you can pay into it when on Maternity pay?

Mouse
03-06-2015, 07:54 AM
I have a new baby starting settling in sessions in Sept for when her mum returns to work in October, will this mum miss out on voucher scheme then as I don't think you can pay into it when on Maternity pay?

. What happens if I go on maternity leave?
The effect of maternity leave on your Childcare Vouchers will depend on the specific details of the Childcare Vouchers scheme that your employer operates, and the terms and conditions of your contract of employment.

If you receive Childcare Vouchers and will be going on maternity leave, we recommend you contact your employer at the earliest possible point to discuss your options.

natlou82
03-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks for sharing the link, very useful :-)

hectors house
03-06-2015, 08:18 AM
. What happens if I go on maternity leave?
The effect of maternity leave on your Childcare Vouchers will depend on the specific details of the Childcare Vouchers scheme that your employer operates, and the terms and conditions of your contract of employment.

If you receive Childcare Vouchers and will be going on maternity leave, we recommend you contact your employer at the earliest possible point to discuss your options.

Thanks Mouse the trouble is that she hasn't registered or started to receive the vouchers yet - I have sent her the new info and table from Martin Lewis so she can see which scheme is better.

shortstuff
03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
thanks for the link Mouse.

I have shared it with my families to enable them to make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

Simona
04-06-2015, 09:20 AM
This info from the Family and Childcare Trust is also very useful as it shows how Tax Free Childcare works

Improving information: New ways to pay for childcare learning module | Family and Childcare Trust (http://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/improving-information-new-ways-pay-childcare-learning-module)