PDA

View Full Version : Any deaf childminders?

Amy Mortimore
01-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to see if there were any deaf childminders out there to share tips? I have my registration visit next week, and want to make sure ofsted won't stop me because I'm deaf!

Amy

shortstuff
01-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Hi. Personally I'm not deaf but I'm sure I've seen a post very similar to yours before. I'm sorry I can't remember their name. Have you tried completing a search of the forum?

I'm sure ofsted will be fine too.

catswhiskers
01-06-2015, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't worry and I'm sure the person from Ofsted will be more nervous than you.

AliceK
02-06-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm sure there is a childminder on this forum who is profoundly deaf so I'm sure Ofsted won't have a problem.
My DD is moderately deaf, we are off to an NDCS day this month, she's really looking forward to meeting other children who wear heaing aids :thumbsup:

Good Luck xxx

mumofone
02-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Did your doctor mention any issues on your medical? Good luck :-) x

Maza
02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
There is another childminder on here who has been childminding for years. If you do a search you will find the post where she talks about it. x

Amanda70
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't think it will go against you, in fact if Any parents have deaf children they would probably prefer them to come to you because you understand the issues and problems with being deaf yourself and can offer plenty of useful support.

My daughter is partially deaf so this relates massively as she is currently at college doing her level 3 childcare and works in a nursery on placement, she has never been questioned about her ability to do the job. You will be fine, don't worry, I've just had my pre reg visit yesterday, all went well x

bunyip
02-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Hello Amy and welcome. :waving:

I'd be very interested to know if they send round an inspector who is Deaf-aware. Have they asked about your comunication needs so they can ensure you have a fair inspection?

When I was inspected, I asked if the inspector would have any access/communication or other particular needs. They didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about. :eek:

k1rstie
02-06-2015, 07:38 PM
It should not go against you. Aren't the rules, you need to be able do your paperwork in written English?

mrs t
23-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Hi Amy
I am a childminder support assistant in Cornwall and had an enquiry from a lady who is deaf, asking if it would prevent her from registering. Do you have any advice or suggestions for her?

Amy Mortimore
06-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Hi sorry I totally forgot about this thread and I didn’t get an notification that people had commented. I am now a qualified “good” childminder. Not had any problems with my pre reg inspection, they sent a lady who was deaf aware and had knowledge of the deaf community. They did refuse to provide a BSL interpreter for my graded inspection and said it was my responsibility to organise this, which is wrong of them to do that as it is theirs.

We do need more deaf childminders for deaf children, they just need to be aware of what the children are doing if they go out of the room to the toilet for example (use baby video monitor). My inspector wanted me to find a way to pick up sounds that children may be missing in their speech, as I can’t hear if they dropped a letter in a word etc, so I have assumed more closer links with a speech therapist and working with them.

If anyone who’s deaf and interested in becoming a childminder, I’m happy to give advice.