PDA

View Full Version : How can I word this please?

redtiger21
01-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Hi, back in March I had a visit from a family who were looking (in advance) for care for their then new baby. They were thinking October (I will lose 2 EY children to reception in Sept so will have space), but weren't sure how many/what days, so I just said to get in contact nearer the time, and I also said I'd contact them if I had any other serious interest in the space they were after, so they could consider "locking it in" for themselves.
Now, I only take 2 EY children at a time (plus before-and-after schoolers) as a rule, not the full quota of 3, just out of choice, which obviously means spaces are more limited! One of my current part time 2YOs will be doing full time from Sept, which leaves me one EY space each day to fill.
I've had a few potential people enquiring about childcare, so I decided to email the original family with the baby, and I said there was no pressure, but would they like to revisit the idea of me providing childcare in the autumn, as I'm starting to get enquiries. Mum replied that she's decided she will return to work in Jan (which is fair enough), and can I provide care from then?
Now as you can imagine, I cannot afford to not have that space's income for an entire term! So I'm not really sure what to say, as I don't want to go down the route of a retainer, I just want to fill the space, but I'm conscious of the fact that I need to be polite about it, especially as mum is best friends with my current full time mindee's mum! How could I word my email to her? Help!

redtiger21
01-06-2015, 04:40 PM
P.s. sorry for the essay over what is probably quite a small issue!!

lollipop kid
01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi, back in March I had a visit from a family who were looking (in advance) for care for their then new baby. They were thinking October (I will lose 2 EY children to reception in Sept so will have space), but weren't sure how many/what days, so I just said to get in contact nearer the time, and I also said I'd contact them if I had any other serious interest in the space they were after, so they could consider "locking it in" for themselves.
Now, I only take 2 EY children at a time (plus before-and-after schoolers) as a rule, not the full quota of 3, just out of choice, which obviously means spaces are more limited! One of my current part time 2YOs will be doing full time from Sept, which leaves me one EY space each day to fill.
I've had a few potential people enquiring about childcare, so I decided to email the original family with the baby, and I said there was no pressure, but would they like to revisit the idea of me providing childcare in the autumn, as I'm starting to get enquiries. Mum replied that she's decided she will return to work in Jan (which is fair enough), and can I provide care from then?
Now as you can imagine, I cannot afford to not have that space's income for an entire term! So I'm not really sure what to say, as I don't want to go down the route of a retainer, I just want to fill the space, but I'm conscious of the fact that I need to be polite about it, especially as mum is best friends with my current full time mindee's mum! How could I word my email to her? Help!

Here's how I would play this one.

If you can afford to, then offer the mum a retainer, which starts from October. Say she wants 4 days a week. Offer that her child can come for 2 days a week (either 2 full days or 4 half days), paid for by the retainer, and this will help ensure that her child is fully settled with you before Mum returns to work. (I do this a lot with my parents and I haven't ever had one turn it down. I've been a parent using childcare myself, which helps, I suppose, as I understand reluctance to retainers and 'paying someone for nothing'. I also see the other side, though - i.e. a childminder's, who just can't afford to be without income, or a parent's commitment, for such a long period of time.)

Go for it. You already know you come highly recommended. And this way, there is no question of the parent not getting value for money from her retainer. Plus, it gives you the peace of mind that you've filled the space from when you need to and can stop looking.

I also take a deposit at the same time, by the way. (4 weeks in advance plus 4 x retainer weeks upfront), then carry on with payment in advance.

I hope it helps,

L

redtiger21
02-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks Lollipop. Unfortunately, because I stick to 2 EY children per day, I do need those 2 properly filled each day. I sent her a nice email explaining it and recommending she gets in touch much closer to the time she'd like to start :)