PDA

View Full Version : conjunctivitis

redtiger21
01-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Does everyone here exclude for conjunctivitis? If so, do you wait for actual diagnosis from GP, or do you just go by the visual clues of red gammy eye? How long do you exclude for? And do you therefore also close if you yourself get it, as it's so contagious and you could pass it on to children? Thanks

hectors house
01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't exclude I just have out a few toys that can be liberally sprayed with anti bac throughout the day, keep close eye on child and wash their hands and use anti bac gel if I see them touching their eyes and wash everyone's hands with anti bac gel every hour - also try to spend as much time out on walks as we can. I haven't ever caught it from a mindee and none of the other mindees have caught it either. Doctors don't always prescribe cream or eye drops anymore and just recommend bathing with cooled boiled water.

Mouse
01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't exclude for conjunctivitis.

I have had mindees come here with it and it has never been passed on.

AliceK
01-06-2015, 12:51 PM
I exclude for 24hrs until treatment has begun especially for pre-school children who are not mature enough for the hygiene involved.

xx

redtiger21
01-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

natlou82
01-06-2015, 07:01 PM
I once asked a parent to keep little one away from the setting and didn't charge this was due to LO being only 1 at the time with another one the same age - too risky! Older ones o wouldn't exclude as it is easier to manage x

catswhiskers
01-06-2015, 10:08 PM
I exclude at any age as it's highly infectious no matter how much hand washing/anti bac stuff you do. But why should you have to do that if parents bring along a child who obviously has conjunctivitis? I once caught it but didn't have to exclude any others as it was over a period of time I didn't have any children other than my own!

tas
02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
I exclude and still charge if the eyes are weeping and have it in my policies so clear to everyone. I won't bathe a child's eyes or put in eye drops so if weepy eyes they have to stay at home :)