PDA

View Full Version : Non payment

mumofone
31-05-2015, 06:27 PM
I haven't been paid for care commencing tomorrow yet (payment is required in advance). I have a charge for late payment (charged per each late day) but in reality should I charge this or give them a chance to pay and the benefit of the doubt?

loocyloo
31-05-2015, 06:45 PM
I would give them a quick call or send a text reminding them that payment is due tomorrow ( or was due when ever you had asked for payment. )

I usually send all my parents a text a day or 2 before payment due saying 'Quick reminder, fees due tomorrow/Monday ( whenever ) Thanks Loocyloo'

if payment was due last week/Friday I would call/text asking them to check their payment, as it has not shown up in your account and that late fees will be due if not paid by XYZ.

it may be that they have paid, and the bank or voucher company has yet to process the payment.

good luck x

moggy
31-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Is this a new contract/new child?
Why haven't they paid?

If your contract is for payment in advance you should not take the child tomorrow until they have paid.
This is not a good start if they are new... do you know them well? do you trust them to pay up with late fees on top?

I would be getting them on the phone tonight ASAP and explaining that £ has to come before you can take the child.

If you take the child and start clocking up late fees who says they are even going to pay those + the original sum...

What's your gut feeling on this?

mumofone
31-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Is this a new contract/new child? Why haven't they paid? If your contract is for payment in advance you should not take the child tomorrow until they have paid. This is not a good start if they are new... do you know them well? do you trust them to pay up with late fees on top? I would be getting them on the phone tonight ASAP and explaining that £ has to come before you can take the child. If you take the child and start clocking up late fees who says they are even going to pay those + the original sum... What's your gut feeling on this?

Hi moggy, this is an existing customer....all previous payments have been last minute but in time...I just think its a bit late to be paying for tomorrow's care....

moggy
31-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi moggy, this is an existing customer....all previous payments have been last minute but in time...I just think its a bit late to be paying for tomorrow's care....

Then a phone call or text tonight then and a word at drop off time, I reckon.

If it is first time I would not add late fee but then I know my families and they would only be late paying due to a genuine mistake or problem with vouchers getting through, they would be mortified to realise they were late and would pay asap.

Maybe with this being a Sunday has caught them out- if it is a bank transfer you are waiting for? If a weekend/bank holiday falls on my pay day I sometimes put out a reminder beforehand so parents can adjust their payment accordingly.

bunyip
01-06-2015, 06:46 AM

Hmm.............. you "think" it's a bit late ? What does the contract say? Does it stipulate a payment day/date?

If not, then 5 seconds before you commence care for the child is "in advance".

If the contract does stipulate a payment day/date, then I'd initially put the late payment charge on the next invoice, together with a note that I was waiving the charge on this occasion, for the first and only time, and that late payment charges will be enforced in future. People aren't used to paying for many things in advance and I think they don't really believe it applies until they see the £££'s noted on their bill. :(

I would not accept the child into my care without the payment being made, subject to whether the contracts allows such a refusal.

redtiger21
01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
I have never charged a late payment fee, as I know all my parents are "good for the money", and just sometimes get a bit bogged down with things and make mistakes. I feel that if I'm lenient about things like that, then they're much more understanding when I myself am a bit disorganised or make errors myself (which I do, only human!). X