PDA

View Full Version : Settling in sessions

mumofone
29-05-2015, 07:07 AM
How many do you offer and do you charge? A parent is asking for three sessions but this seems a bit much to me if afterwards she decides not to use me. Or is it best for me so I get the chance to "test out" how the child is too?

tess1981
29-05-2015, 07:11 AM
I have seen ones say they sign contracts and get retainers or deposits before settling in visits begin and I would he happy then to offer the 3 sessions but 2 being 1 hour each and the third being maybe 2 hours but it's up to you what you are happy to offer

Maza
29-05-2015, 07:24 AM
I do settling in sessions once contracts are signed and deposits paid. I offer two sessions - each lasting one hour each. If a parent wants more then fine, but it is charged at the normal hourly rate. The first time I did it I said to the parent "okay then, see you in an hour" but you have to be more specific and tell them the time you expect them back! Her hour was obviously a bit longer than what I would call an hour! I hadn't looked at my watch to check the exact time she left my house and neither had she so I couldn't really challenge her.

hectors house
29-05-2015, 08:32 AM
I do settling in sessions once contracts have been completed and signed - I normally do 4 hours free - usually one hour in the morning, one hour in the afternoon (interesting to see how different children are when they are tired or hungry at different times of the day), then a 2 hour when parent comes back near end of session and stays to give child lunch, so I can see how the child likes to be fed, temperature, texture, amounts eaten.

This is different to the 4 week settling in period on the contracts where either I or the parent can give immediate notice with no notice period to be paid.

bunyip
29-05-2015, 09:10 AM
I always offer 2 free sessions of 1-2 hours. The parents usually take them up, though some do not. We sometimes do more than 2 sessions. I usually don't charge for additional sessions if I feel they wil be beneficial. I do charge if I feel the parent is asking for more than necessary.

Trainers and DOs have always tended to blather on about settling sessions like they were some kind of magic bullet. The reality is that little Billy is still likely to suffer the shock of his short life on the first proper day of care when he realises Mum isn't going to come strolling back through the door after an hour. If anything, the settling sessions are more likely to help mum overcome her separation anxiety/guilt/sheer panic. They can also be useful for the CM to get a picture of what we've let ourselves in for.

They can also be a gauge of what we're letting ourselves in for with the parents. How distraught and clingy is mum/dad for example? Can they arrive (and, more importantly, collect) on time? Did they mind me gelling baby's hair into a wappy mohican and applying that can of glitter-spray? :rolleyes: (.......and don't pretend you've never wanted to do it.) I had one who demanded settling visits every week for the whole summer prior to doing a school run. Considering this unneccessary, I agreed to do them but said that I'd charge for all but the first 2. Mum then back-tracked and decided the 2 free ones would do just fine. The alarm bell started ringing and it was no surprise when she pulled out of the contract within weeks. :(

OP, I note you say, "..... this seems a bit much to me if afterwards she decides not to use me....." That also sets the bells ringing in my head. Never offer to provide care until you have a signed contract, paperwork, permissions, etc. in place and a deposit payment in cleared funds or in your piggy bank.

You are not allowed to look after a child without the consents and basic EYFS-compliance child information form signed. You are probably not insured for any child who is not under contract: you've only just met them and have no idea how accident-prone they are, let alone if they have any serious allergies, etc. And you have nothing in place to deter the parent fromusing you for a few free babysitting sessions then strolling off into the sunset, never to be seen again. It can and does happen. :(

Several CMs I know had exactly this problem: parents used the settling in sessions then left without ever using their service. We guessed some were just getting free care while they went off shopping. It turned out some had arranged settling sessions with 2 or more CMs. Clearly they were 'testing the waters' before deciding whose contract they would sign, and they were less than honest about it. In the end, these selfish mums shot themselves in the foot, because we circulated their details and they were effectively black-listed from every decent CM in the area. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
29-05-2015, 09:17 AM
I offer 1-2 settling sessions of up to an hour once contracts signed. (Or more if I think we need them/can fit them in!)

Sometimes a parent and child will come for an extra visit once we've confirmed but not signed contracts, but child never stays alone.

Mouse
29-05-2015, 09:18 AM
There is a difference between settling in sessions and trial sessions.

Settling in sessions are arranged after contracts are signed, deposits paid and all paperwork completed. I offer 2 one hour sessions (no charge) in the week or 2 before the child starts. To me, the purpose of these sessions is to give me a chance to have the child by myself, make sure I know everything I need to and possibly pick up on any issues I hadn't considered. Sometimes it's as simple as realising I hadn't asked parents if their baby had a bottle or food first. For the parents, the sessions offer them a chance to leave the child with someone new - very often the first time they have left their child and that's not something they want to experience on their first day back at work. I also use the settling in sessions to see which toys the child particularly likes to play with. I tell parents (often take a photo for the child to take home) so that parents can talk about the toy at home and remind the child they'll be able to play with it again when they come back.

If a parent is unsure whether or not she wants to sign up with you, trial sessions might be a good idea (if you have the availability). If the child is left with you for any time you're going to need child record forms etc completing and I would charge for the sessions. Treat it like one-off care and charge accordingly.