PDA

View Full Version : Quiet area to sleep

Amanda70
29-05-2015, 06:59 AM
I'm having my pre reg on Monday but already have two children waiting to start. The youngest is 12 months old and has two 2 hour sleeps throughout the day. I've got a travel cot which I was thinking could be put up in my bedroom. Does this mean that Ofsted will just inspect my room or would they have to inspect the bathroom as well because I have a downstairs toilet so there is no need for children to come upstairs just the 12 month old who will be in the travel cot anyway. I didn't want to have to move my bathroom products, would Ofsted be ok if I said its literally for the baby to sleep and no other minder would come up the stairs?

I have a living/dining room downstairs that's all so as I understand it, Ofsted expect a quiet area for babies to sleep. Would I be able to let the baby sleep on the sofa and turn that part of the day into quiet time? Please help as its driving me crazy thinking about what's expected and what room I actually have. Thanks :rolleyes:

chris goodyear
29-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I do sleep babies upstairs but I have 3 travel cots in 3 different bedrooms so yes ofsted do look in every room but I'm used to that so no problem. Not sure what they would say if you tell them you only use one room upstairs. Can you fit the cot into your living room?
I would not sleep a 12 month old on a sofa but what I have done is fold a quilt in half and lay it on the floor and baby sleeps on there, as long as they are asleep before you leave the room and check more frequently to see they are not up to mischief!
I prefer them to sleep in cots as I know they are safe (and so are my things!) but some children absolutely refuse to sleep in them so I have used buggies, sofas and floors depending on age.

MrsP2C
29-05-2015, 10:37 AM
I have 2 travel cots in different rooms upstairs with a monitor on the landing in between them - I shut my dc bedroom doors and the bathroom door and have a stairgates at the bottom so other than sticking her head around the corner of the 2 rooms with cots in, my Ofsted inspector wasn't interested in the upstairs as I explained children are never left unattended up there or allowed to roam.

FloraDora
29-05-2015, 10:46 AM
What are you going to do with other LO's when you pop baby to sleep or get them up? I use my upstairs too so all areas are safe but when I put one down the other/s come too and play in our den that way They are in sight or earshot of me.
Couldn't you just pop your bathroom toiletries in a basket that will be popped so where safe when LO's are there?
I have drawers in my sink unit and all toiletries are kep there - the one thing childminding does for me is to minimise the bathroom clutter that slowly builds up as you put make up on, have new creams etc! It all always goes away now .

Amanda70
29-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I do sleep babies upstairs but I have 3 travel cots in 3 different bedrooms so yes ofsted do look in every room but I'm used to that so no problem. Not sure what they would say if you tell them you only use one room upstairs. Can you fit the cot into your living room?
I would not sleep a 12 month old on a sofa but what I have done is fold a quilt in half and lay it on the floor and baby sleeps on there, as long as they are asleep before you leave the room and check more frequently to see they are not up to mischief!
I prefer them to sleep in cots as I know they are safe (and so are my things!) but some children absolutely refuse to sleep in them so I have used buggies, sofas and floors depending on age.

Hi, I could use my living room but I only have the living/dining room to use for minding so other children would have to be in the room playing whilst the baby was sleeping , what would Ofsted think of that? Also do Ofsted think it's ok for children to sleep in buggies because I'm sure on lots of occasions this will happen especially if the child has fallen asleep in it whilst out and is still asleep when you get back in?

chris goodyear
29-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Some children will only sleep in buggies! I'm sure Ofsted were aware of this but to be honest I can't really remember. Also if you are out for a walk and baby goes to sleep in the buggy you are not going to disturb them when you get home to put in a cot so I can't really see a difference. It all depends on the child, some prefer cots and some buggies where they may feel more secure.

mumofone
29-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Isn't this where the "permission to sleep in buggy" form comes in?

AliceK
29-05-2015, 03:14 PM
I have 2 travel cots which I used to use a lot, both upstairs but the LO's I currently have both prefer to sleep in buggies. Sometimes one might be upstairs usually there is one downstairs in my lounge which is only used as a baby sleeping area and not for playing in. I know the LO's asleep cannot escape so I see no reason to move / hide anything upstairs, as long as they can't reach over and grab something. Ofsted have never had a problem. I'm not moving everything away upstairs, would be impossible anyway. I think it's just a case of continually RA'ing the child.
I also do not have a permission to sleep in buggy form???? Didn't know I ever needed one.

xx

chris goodyear
29-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Same here Alice, never heard of a form for that. Usually the mums say if they sleep better in a buggy or cot so I go by that.

Amanda70
29-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Same here Alice, never heard of a form for that. Usually the mums say if they sleep better in a buggy or cot so I go by that.

I didn't think Ofsted approved of sleeping in a buggy that's why I bought a travel cot. I just wish there was a clear list from Ofsted of what they want to see or not, I'm just thankful for this forum because I have learnt more from here than my L.A

AliceK
29-05-2015, 06:20 PM
I didn't think Ofsted approved of sleeping in a buggy that's why I bought a travel cot. I just wish there was a clear list from Ofsted of what they want to see or not, I'm just thankful for this forum because I have learnt more from here than my L.A

I will do what's best for the child. If a child is going to get upset and spend ages crying and crying because they are not happy in the cot but they will happily drop off without any drama in a buggy then that's what I'll do. If the parent is happy and the child is happy and safe then I would challenge Ofsted if they bought it up with me.

xxx

Amanda70
29-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I will do what's best for the child. If a child is going to get upset and spend ages crying and crying because they are not happy in the cot but they will happily drop off without any drama in a buggy then that's what I'll do. If the parent is happy and the child is happy and safe then I would challenge Ofsted if they bought it up with me.

xxx

Thanks, I will do the same, such a minefield because nobody knows for sure what Ofsted really want, I suppose I've got a lot more issues to come :rolleyes: