PDA

View Full Version : Help- overnight care!!

mslater87974
28-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Help.....Im currently in the process of registering to be a childminder. Ive been asked by a friend to look after her children overnight 8pm while 2am before I am registered for a small payment. Am I allowed to do this? Thanks in advance

watford wizz
28-05-2015, 08:14 PM
I think you are allowed to do this as babysitting but as you are registering as a professional childminder make sure to be clear about what you are providing your "friend". Don't get caught out by providing cheep childcare and then build your friends expectation that this will always be the case. My overnight care is part of my minding I take the same care as I would during day time hours and my charges and service reflect this.

bunyip
29-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Tbh it's not at all clear what is meant by "overnight care".

The pre-2014 EYFS was supported by an Ofsted guidance document which gave a definition of "overnight care". It was something like "care provided for the majority of hours of 2200 and 0600" (something like - not necessarily those exact times, so don't quote me.)

I've 'phoned Ofsted to check this a few weeks ago, to be told that definition lapsed with EYFS 2012 and the withdrawal of the guidance document. I asked what the new definition was, only to receive an answer which can be paraphrased as "well, y'know, like, sort of night-time, like." A useful definition of "night" which is as clear as day..............................not. :(

bunyip
29-05-2015, 08:33 AM
I think you are allowed to do this as babysitting but as you are registering as a professional childminder make sure to be clear about what you are providing your "friend". Don't get caught out by providing cheep childcare and then build your friends expectation that this will always be the case. My overnight care is part of my minding I take the same care as I would during day time hours and my charges and service reflect this.

Wizz, if you don't mind me asking, out of interest.....................

IIRC the regulations for overnight care state that the CM must be able to hear the child but a baby monitor may be used. Do you have to stay awake all night while the child is sleeping, or do Ofsted permit you to sleep with the monitor by your side?