PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - what do you feel??

kindredspirits
04-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi, I'm just curious what everyone else feels about the actual role of EYFS for childminders??? I started reading my info pack last night - didn't get very far as george kept waking up, but i feel really confused, morally, i don't feel like this is why i became a childminder. i don't think children before school should be judged as to what they can and can't do. and frankly most cm's would be encouraging counting etc far more than a lazy parent. the extra work is annoying, but its not what i object to. am i being OTT?? i know that it is likely to be the school who complete the final report, but i still feel a slight pulling, and i think that when you explain it to parents they are going to wonder the same thing, why their children are being assssed so early.

Am i being OTT do you think??
anna xx

hbomb1
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I totally agree with you Anna, and I almost packed in CM because of it, but have decided to give it a go and see what Ofsted say when they inspect me.

I have really got stuck into EYFS this last week and have re-written my policies and creating new folders etc, and am starting to understand a little more.

crazybones
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I dont think you are assessing the children you are observing them and planning around their needs and interests. Then logging it down to show what you have done and help yourself see where to go next. Dont get me wrong I am still getting my head around it and some parts havent clicked yet. The main thing is the child is still playing and you are just noticing how they progress.
Sorry if I havent worded that very well.

Gherkin
04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
you are observing them and planning around their needs and interests. Then logging it down to show what you have done and help yourself see where to go next. The main thing is the child is still playing and you are just noticing how they progress.

I agree with Annie (the wording was fine). I did not come to childminding from a childcare background and to be honest I think the EYFS is helping me with my planning, obs etc. So now that I am starting to quite like it!

sarah707
04-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I disliked birth to 3 and it's one size fits all ethos...

EYFS is a huge improvement and the more I get to grips with it, the more I like it!

It's how you sell it to yourself (and the parents) that counts I think... try and think of it as a better way of working, which will improve what you do for all the children ... and carry on doing what you are doing, because that is good too.

Yes there are some things that could be better ... but that's going to be the same with anything I think... we just have to make the most of it and learn from each other...

Marks out of 10 for eyfs ... 8 I think! :D

kindredspirits
04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
right!! i go back to it tonight with a positive mind on perhaps i might see the benefits. to be honest i had barely got to grips with birth to three so i guess its all a bit hard to understand when you first start. maybe once i've read all the info instead of the first 25 pages i'll like it more!!! :blush:

Chimps Childminding
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a bit like you KS - not got my head around it yet :panic: . I really need to find time to sit down and go through the book, or put the CD in (instead of coming on the forum :D ), but the problem is by the time I get a chance either at the week-end or in the evening, there are so many other things that need doing, or my brain has turned to mush that I can't seem to take anything in.

Need to make a concerted effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'll just have another few mins on here first) :laughing:

LisaH
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm still trying to get my head around it too! It's a little clearer after several attempts at reading. I just feel like we are being turned into mini nurseries. My husband isnt impressed either cos i spend my evenings writing in my 3 under 5's profiles instead of paying attention to him!! Just going to muddle along for now and hope that ofsted are at least half way satisfied at my next inspection!!

childminder54
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
WHO WANTS TO DO WRITING IN THE EVENINGS I DONT LIKE THIS IDEA AND CANNOT GET MY HEAD ROUND IT. IT STINKS.. BRING BACK SOCIAL SERVICES WE SHOULD GO ON STRIKE..

VERONICAXX IF YOU ARE CLEVER LIKE SARAH ITS NO PROBLEM WE SHOULD GET HERE TO WRITE THEM FOR US HOW ABOUT IT SARAH WE WILL PAY U IT WOULD BE WORTH IT.

VERONICAXX

Pipsqueak
04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Veronica did you forget caps were on!!!! lol:)

I'm ok about EYFS tbh. Taking it bit by bit - rejigged policies and have a working Learning Journal that my (fabulous) DO looks over for me.
I am settling down to do the reflection and planning.
Its all going to take time.

sue m
04-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Me too, I spent the whole weekend doing paperwork again. I was up till 1am bidding on a double buggy on ebay and since the little ones went today I've been printing off photos and writing up obs or whatever they are! Thank God I only have them 3 days a week. There aren't enough hours in a day for caring and the paperwork. I need to finish it tomorrow but it's my day off and i have a friend coming from Suffolk. :mad: As you say Lisa, the more you read it the clearer it becomes, well either that or my head goes to mush again. I've just been trying to get organized with the paperwork and then get worried cos I remember something else I haven't done. I'm starting to think the same as you, when I have an inspection, if they are half satisfied it will have to do.

RedDragon
05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I feel that it's another thing to learn/put into place just when I thought I was getting sorted with everything else.

When I first started Childminding I had very basic policies/contracts etc - but after finishing my DHC Unit 3 (1-5):panic: I updated all of my paperwork, bought tons more resources etc.

I have been on loads of courses too and I feel this has helped a little in the way I care for the children but if I'm being totally honest my way of caring for the children has not changed very much.

From speaking to the children's parents the way they want me to mind their children is not via paperwork (quite a few have told me honestly that if I gave them written updates on their children they wouldn't give it much attention).

The parents want me to play with the children, give them fun things to do, take them to places they are too busy to- that is their main reason for sending their child to me.

Regarding observations the parents feel this is not my job-most of them take the attitude/approach of "their child will do things when they are ready" (maybe an old fashioned approach but they say that it worked for them growing up). They feel confident that I will notice any changes/concerns just by everyday contact.

Personally, although I have been on a day course regarding introducing EYFS I did feel it was a bit of a "feel good rally" - it was held in a very nice hotel with a constant flow of refreshments and a lovely lunch - speakers telling us how great the new changes would be etc.

I suppose the way I would prefer to work is with my policies/contracts in place and up to date, myself and the children between us deciding what we want to do without me having to think "Which best way can I be showing to OFSTED what we are doing" - by that I mean instead of me just mucking in with the kids say while the baby is in bed having a nap I would be thinking "Photo opportunity! Let's give the baby a little something to do so I am seen to include them just incase I get told off".

I may have gone completely off track in working out what the EYFS is all about - but I feel I need to know the jargon (a Unique child etc) which I am not very good at remembering - instead of just "getting on with" the job of making my setting a fun place to stay.

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 02:57 PM
The thing with the EYFS is that we will all be working from the same songbook.
Sadly there are some minders who are stuck in the dark ages with regards to children and this will make them pull their socks up (or quit).

RedDragon
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
The thing with the EYFS is that we will all be working from the same songbook.
Sadly there are some minders who are stuck in the dark ages with regards to children and this will make them pull their socks up (or quit).

But to me I don't feel I am in this category (dark ages Childminder) but I'm still made to feel that I need to be doing written Obs instead of "getting on with the job".

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Sorry Claire - I hope you didn't think i was inferring that you were (I was thinking of some minders that I personally know)

I guess I can see where you are coming from - you see I don't actually mind paperwork too much. For the obs I just write little quickie ones and stick them into the learning journal and I (will) do a lengthier type one perhaps monthly?

RedDragon
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
o, didn't think you were inferring it I was one of them lol :panic: :) ;)

sue m
05-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Made me smile Pip, think I'M one of those minders! :D I'm young at heart (!!?) and love having little ones around me but I feel too old to be taking all this paperwork on. I've got to have a go at the SEF form tonight, it'll all end in tears! :panic:

Pipsqueak
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh blimey - what I meant by the "dark ages" - (I wasn't referring to ages by any means) was those archaic minders who have absolutely no interest in the children, think its ok to "let them get on with it", bellow and bawl at the kids and have a child who is grizzling because they are tired/poorly/tiny and just growl at them to be quiet and verbally run them down in front of other people.

eek sorry peeps - I forget that you all don't know the "clique" round here - can manage to turn on the charm when the DO or EY team is about and turn into the kiddie catcher when they are gone.