PDA

View Full Version : Question re british values

mumofone
25-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Ive decided what my "british values" are at my provision (I assume these are still required?) but what method do you use to prove/show to OFSTED that these are what they are (if that makes sense?!)?

FloraDora
25-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Has any one yet had to 'prove' to ofsted? I ask this question on other social media after ofsted's and no one says they have....yet? I think it will be through your day to day practise, the way the children inter act with each other , not if you have a flagpole in your garden or a poster up, it's all about the impact on the children and evidence in their interactions with you and each other., so have the poster if you wish, but make sure they interact regularly and know what it is about. On this note - our mayor is providing flagpoles to local schools - 2 have been in the local paper so far ...so perhaps this is the way forward !!

bunyip
25-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Stick up a Union flag and write the words "we lie about history" across it. That should have British Values pretty much covered. :mad:

Simona
25-05-2015, 08:08 PM
It's a NO NO to the European flag though....their human rights are not in line with the govt current 'reforms'....they embrace universal values but not the British ones! :panic:

Better listen to the Queen's speech onn Wednesday for clarification on BV :thumbsup:

mumofone
25-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Personally I don't 'get' how we are supposed to be enforcing british values whilst promoting the whole multicultural/diversity thing too.
British values to me smacks of a horrid xenophobic undertone. Surely as teachers of Early years children just good proper manners, respect etc is what we should be promoting. Maybe I'm missing something!

Simona
25-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Personally I don't 'get' how we are supposed to be enforcing british values whilst promoting the whole multicultural/diversity thing too.
British values to me smacks of a horrid xenophobic undertone. Surely as teachers of Early years children just good proper manners, respect etc is what we should be promoting. Maybe I'm missing something!

No one has yet defined BV...but they are embedded in EYFS PSED and have been so for many years...they are universal values.
Look at the new thread I have just posted in the Ofsted section about the latest Power Point presentation just released by Ofsted on the Common Inspection Framework
BV are mentioned but not defined!

bunyip
27-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Traditionally, we rock up in some hot part of the world, shoot/bomb the population, spread a few diseases around, then 'convert' the survivors to Britishness. What's not to like.................? :p

moggy
31-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Fundamental British Values in the Early Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/fundamental-british-values-in-the-early-years/)

The document linked in the link above covers it, it is from a Gov website too. Basically, if you follow EYFS PSED you are doing it already.

mumofone
31-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Fundamental British Values in the Early Years | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/fundamental-british-values-in-the-early-years/) The document linked in the link above covers it, it is from a Gov website too. Basically, if you follow EYFS PSED you are doing it already.

Great stuff, thanks moggy :-) :-)

greenfaerie
02-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I was just planning on printing the document that Moggy linked too and keeping it in a folder to use as proof of promoting "British Values" (as it's already covered in PSED)

Well that and compulsory Afternoon Tea consumption whilst watching Downton Abbey. Rule, Britannia!

bunyip
20-07-2015, 09:12 AM
A few notable definitions:

British person living abroad = 'ex-pat' (implied: supporting foreign economy).

Overseas person living in Britain = 'immigrant' (Implied: destroying British economy).

British person telling Johnny Foreigner what to think = 'diplomat' 'missionary' 'aide worker' or 'cultural attache'.

Overseas person telling British person what to think = 'extremist'.