PDA

View Full Version : private school holidays

josoch
22-05-2015, 08:35 PM
One of my current after school children is changing schools and is going to a private school. I will still have her 2 afternoons a week as her mother doesn't want her in school 8-6 everyday. Hover she has asked me to have her during school holidays and I have been told this can sometimes be as much as 18 weeks a year!
I am concerned about the impact this will have on my little ones as we so often go to toddler groups, under 5's soft play etc and surely this is not ideal for an 8 year old who perhaps needs playmates of her own age?
I am inclined to say I can still only have her for state school holidays. what do other childminders feel?

Simona
23-05-2015, 07:08 AM
One of my current after school children is changing schools and is going to a private school. I will still have her 2 afternoons a week as her mother doesn't want her in school 8-6 everyday. Hover she has asked me to have her during school holidays and I have been told this can sometimes be as much as 18 weeks a year!
I am concerned about the impact this will have on my little ones as we so often go to toddler groups, under 5's soft play etc and surely this is not ideal for an 8 year old who perhaps needs playmates of her own age?
I am inclined to say I can still only have her for state school holidays. what do other childminders feel?

I had 2 children from private schools in my care and their holidays were longer than state schools.

Older children make a positive contribution to the learning of younger ones.
You can ask them to help and also organize activities for them...there should be absolutely no problem.

My younger school children used to be delighted when my older ones where there at school collection....for outings I found they were very helpful and keen to help with the little ones.
That is the beauty of a home based setting and CMs flexibility...children of all ages mixing and learning together.

Hope you can give it a try and see if it works for you :thumbsup:

Maza
23-05-2015, 07:39 AM
I agree with Simona. Older children tend to do 'holiday clubs' or 'sports camps' over the holidays, but they are not all suited to that type of childcare. My DD, 6, wouldn't be. I think we should be encouraging older children to still use childminders if it suits their personality, it's a lovely option. A lot of our playgroups close over the holidays anyway and so my private schoolie only comes to playgroups for a week or so at either side of the holidays and she loves it - yes, she would probably get bored doing it all holiday but for the weeks were she does go she loves playing with their resources - she's very well behaved and polite and so no one minds.

You might also find that her parents take advantage of the longer holidays and book cheaper flights for their own holidays. If you say that you can only have her during state school holidays then they might look elsewhere. You could consider saying to mum that if she lets you know in advance then you wont charge her for a playdate here and there (at a school friend's house) during those weeks or if her daughter attends a tennis holiday club for the mornings of the first week etc. That way the mindee gets the best of both worlds and it takes he pressure off you a bit (obviously you wouldn't be dropping her off/picking her up from these outings, so do be careful about what you offer). x

watford wizz
23-05-2015, 03:23 PM
I have children from several different school including private and I find the children enjoy each other's company. I guess if more schools start setting their own holiday timetable it's something we have to be flexible about.

josoch
23-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I have children from several different school including private and I find the children enjoy each other's company. I guess if more schools start setting their own holiday timetable it's something we have to be flexible about.

Many thanks for all your positive comments!
I think I will say to mum that I will give it a try and see how we go.:)

smurfette
23-05-2015, 05:35 PM
I think it depends on the child,,
Luckily you know this child so are in a good position to make that decision. I had a schoolie a while back (boy age 9) who often had different holidays to my own girls and was bored with the little ones, and had no consideration for them. Plus I didn't have space in the car for him those days.. There was no way I could have taken him to toddler groups! However if one of my own girls (age 9,11 and 13) are ever here they are great with the little ones and I just balance their needs with what the older one (s) want to do. Maybe girls are better this way, more into helping!