PDA

View Full Version : Swapping days - not come across this before!

Mouse
22-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Have you ever had 2 sets of parents ask if they can swap days with each other?

One child is away next week, but I charge full fee, as per the contract. They've now assumed that as the place is paid for it can be used by another mindee who is TTO and comes on an ad hoc basis through the holidays. The two mums are friends, so have worked this out between them.

I've explained that each family has their own contract and they're not interchangeable, but I can sort of understand their thinking!

lollipop kid
22-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Have you ever had 2 sets of parents ask if they can swap days with each other?

One child is away next week, but I charge full fee, as per the contract. They've now assumed that as the place is paid for it can be used by another mindee who is TTO and comes on an ad hoc basis through the holidays. The two mums are friends, so have worked this out between them.

I've explained that each family has their own contract and they're not interchangeable, but I can sort of understand their thinking!

However tempting it might be to bend the rules 'just this once', sometimes I think you've got to stick to your guns so that you remain to look professional to all parents. (Otherwise, it's can be a slippery slope, and this might just be the start of a few more opportunities for them to take liberties.) Therefore, I think you've done the right thing.

(When I'm asked questions like this, I try to imagine what the local, very expensive, 'Outstanding' Nursery would say to the same question. If I want to remain to appear professional to my parents, and have them view me with respect, then I don't see why my answer should be any different to what the Nursery would say.)

Parents have to understand that we're running a business and that our policies and procedures are there for a reason - we're not their mates.

:D

I hope this helps.

L

Fitrix
22-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Some parents really take the biscuit! I too have been bitten by this one. I agreed to swapping the odd day. But then when a long holiday was booked they thought all the days could be 'swapped' instead of paying me!!
Stick to your guns!

AliceK
22-05-2015, 10:19 AM
It's a cheek if you ask me. Who's running your business, they obviously think they are!!!

How do they know that you haven't got an adhoc child booked in for some of the time your usual mindee is away? Or that you haven't made other plans with fewer children.

I'm get seriously cross with parents trying to take the P at the moment can you tell :angry:

xx

loocyloo
22-05-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm with Alice on this one.

I'd be saying I was sorry, but I couldn't swap as had already made plans and could not accomodate another child.

I've had a LO on holiday this week and it has meant I could do things that are easier with a double buggy, rather than the triple! Plus we could have a rare trip 'out' after school as didn't need to rush back for collection!

I have been known to swap children but it's always my suggestion and on my terms! (I've had to take a day off at late notice in half term and offered to swap for another day for one mindee as I knew mum would have difficulty otherwise. But mum didn't expect it )

Mouse
22-05-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't normally swap days at all unless it's mutually convenient, but even then that's for the same child using a different day. I've never had a parent ask if a different child could use a day they've paid for!

I did say I wouldn't do it. I didn't need any excuses, I simply said no, you each have your contracts and we'll stick to that - it just took me by surprise when they said about it.

Like I said, I can understand their logic - a childcare place has been paid for, so why does it matter which child uses it? Unfortunately for them I don't follow the same logic!

tess1981
22-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Am I right in thinking that parent A paid full fee as per contract as they away but parent B looking to use the space as it is already paid for and they won't pay for their child?

Mouse
22-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Am I right in thinking that parent A paid full fee as per contract as they away but parent B looking to use the space as it is already paid for and they won't pay for their child?

Yes, that's right.

Child A comes all year round and pays full fee for their holidays. Child B is term time only, but sometimes comes in the holidays (if I have the space). Mum A and mum B are friends, so decided that child B would come instead of child A and mum B would give the money to mum A.

Their logic is that I would have 3 children here and would still be earning for 3 children. As it is, I will have 3 children here, but be paid for 4 (the three who attend plus the one on holiday).

Maza
22-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm so glad you said 'no' mouse. Like you, I can get their logic but it's still cheeky to ask. I too have been stung by people swapping - mostly around bank holidays and stuff. It just gets too confusing and let's face it, if there was nothing in it for them then they wouldn't bother asking would they?

I hate the fact that we are made to question our motives when we still want to be paid when they are on holiday. Sore point for me too at the moment.

Enjoy your week with fewer children.

Rick
22-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Nice try is what I'd say.

The children are on separate contracts. A day cannot be used by another child unless they wish to pay.

tess1981
22-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I would be fuming...... you lose a days pay for one child .. Some people!!!!!!!!! They are basically telling you what they will do... I would be more than happy to point that out to them

samb
22-05-2015, 05:54 PM
I actually do this! I thought it was common but obviously not! I say to parents if I find someone else to fill their space when they are away they don't have to pay. I do think it's cheeky they've just gone ahead and organised it but I would have organised it myself anyway. How can you be paid for 4 children? Surely if one is away and then you fill the space with the other child you would refund the parent not using the space so you are still being paid for 3? What happens if one on holiday suddenly changed their mind and needed the space? Would you then refund as you couldn't now accommodate?

Mouse
22-05-2015, 06:37 PM
I actually do this! I thought it was common but obviously not! I say to parents if I find someone else to fill their space when they are away they don't have to pay. I do think it's cheeky they've just gone ahead and organised it but I would have organised it myself anyway. How can you be paid for 4 children? Surely if one is away and then you fill the space with the other child you would refund the parent not using the space so you are still being paid for 3? What happens if one on holiday suddenly changed their mind and needed the space? Would you then refund as you couldn't now accommodate?

I have all 4 children during term time due to continuity of care, so could have all 4 during the holidays if I needed to. I don't tend to though. I tell the TTO mum which days I have available during the holidays (when any of the other children are away) and she can book any she needs.

I would be paid for 3 anyway, so the benefit to me of letting her have a term time only contract is that I sometimes get paid for an extra child(her's) in the holidays.

natlou82
22-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Seeing the whole picture I think it's definitely cheeky! Well done for sticking to your find and contracts. It's easy to be bamboozled by situations like this, at the end of the day it's your business and livelihood. Tbh I'm sure they were both just trying it on to see if they could get away with it and won't be shocked you didn't agree :-)

natlou82
22-05-2015, 08:22 PM
It was meant to say guns and contracts ;-)

Mouse
22-05-2015, 08:36 PM
To be fair to both mums they weren't bothered when I told them it wouldn't work.

They'd been having a coffee together and I think they'd had a light bulb moment :idea: without really thinking it through!

Simona
23-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Yes, that's right.

Child A comes all year round and pays full fee for their holidays. Child B is term time only, but sometimes comes in the holidays (if I have the space). Mum A and mum B are friends, so decided that child B would come instead of child A and mum B would give the money to mum A.

Their logic is that I would have 3 children here and would still be earning for 3 children. As it is, I will have 3 children here, but be paid for 4 (the three who attend plus the one on holiday).

I like the way these 2 mums 'decided' what should happen and voila...it's almost a done deal!
Just shows parents still need educating on what a 'contract' actually means!...sometimes I feel we are wasting huge amounts of money on contracts some parents have no intention of respecting!!

Thank you for sharing this issue ...it certainly triggers a lot of reflection and a few tweaks to our contract for those who have this matter not covered already.

smurfette
24-05-2015, 10:51 PM
See I have wondered about this too really... I have a fourth child on ad hoc, and if I have an extra day when one is away she takes part of the day.. Really should I refund the parent of the away child?! At present I don't because if she ever needs me I take her on as a fourth but don't unless she asks as it's a lot of work! So I figure if the child on hols was there then I may have had her anyways . Plus it's usually not the whole day

The mums were cheeky though that's not up to them! Well done for sticking to guns sometimes this is hard to explain to them why! Glad they were ok about it

Simona
25-05-2015, 08:31 AM
See I have wondered about this too really... I have a fourth child on ad hoc, and if I have an extra day when one is away she takes part of the day.. Really should I refund the parent of the away child?! At present I don't because if she ever needs me I take her on as a fourth but don't unless she asks as it's a lot of work! So I figure if the child on hols was there then I may have had her anyways . Plus it's usually not the whole day

The mums were cheeky though that's not up to them! Well done for sticking to guns sometimes this is hard to explain to them why! Glad they were ok about it

I don't think so ...you should not refund anything.
Swapping is something I have done for several years...in fact all the time...why not?

But the Terms and Conditions are fair and based on my business ...not saving parents' money.
As long as it is very clear there is no problem.
Our main concerns is keeping our business sustainable.

hectors house
26-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Maybe they got their children muddled up with parking tickets - yesterday in a car park a lady gave me her ticket that still had some free time left on it! :laughing:

tess1981
26-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Maybe they got their children muddled up with parking tickets - yesterday in a car park a lady gave me her ticket that still had some free time left on it! :laughing:

I always give my ticket to someone if there time left on it... and love it when someone does it to me :)