PDA

View Full Version : Childminders claiming Working Tax Credit

Daisy De
22-05-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm sure I have missed relevant posts on the above with the new rules coming in but haven't been on for a while and my searches only revealed old stuff from 2013.

What is the position regarding claiming Working Tax Credit as a self-employed childminder?

Getting worred about making ends meet as I live alone :(

chulli
22-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Hello , I myself claim working tax credit
and have done since I started minding . I too would really struggle to make ends meet as I'm the sole earner in my household . They have been really helpful and my claim was straightforward. Just give them a call and they will advise what you could be entitled to .
Rachael x

AliceK
22-05-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm sure I have missed relevant posts on the above with the new rules coming in but haven't been on for a while and my searches only revealed old stuff from 2013.

What is the position regarding claiming Working Tax Credit as a self-employed childminder?

Getting worred about making ends meet as I live alone :(

You and me both :panic:
I don't understand it either. If mine are reduced by much I'll have no option but to leave the job as I am a single mum and can't live on my childminding earnings alone :(

xxx

amelia lilly
22-05-2015, 08:30 AM
what are the new rules?

tess1981
22-05-2015, 09:16 AM
I am a self employed childminder and I get working tax credits. Have done ever since I started. I don't earn a Hugh amount from childminding as a lot of my children part time and I don't like to fill all my spaces as it ties me to the house all day as I need a car to get anywhere .. The joys of rural living. I complete a tax return every year and post it to tax credits. Just ring them and ask how you start to claim tax credits and like you Alicek I'm a single mum and could not live on my wages alone. St least with tax credits I am sure of money coming in each week

AliceK
22-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I am a self employed childminder and I get working tax credits. Have done ever since I started. I don't earn a Hugh amount from childminding as a lot of my children part time and I don't like to fill all my spaces as it ties me to the house all day as I need a car to get anywhere .. The joys of rural living. I complete a tax return every year and post it to tax credits. Just ring them and ask how you start to claim tax credits and like you Alicek I'm a single mum and could not live on my wages alone. St least with tax credits I am sure of money coming in each week

Exactly, I earn less than the min amount to pay tax so not enough to live on that's for sure. The worry is that I'm sure I've read recently that it is all changing and when it's changed to Universal Credit the amount for self employed people is dropping dramatically?? I can't find the article I was reading now.

xx

Mouse
22-05-2015, 11:25 AM
From what I understand, the big change with Universal Credit will be that they will make an assumption that anyone self employed is earning at least minimum wage.

I don't know how this will work with childminders whose earning potential is limited by ratio restrictions.

This is quite helpful, although not very encouraging:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/universal-credit-for-the-self-employed

TinyTinker
22-05-2015, 12:54 PM
If our tax credits drop, we will be in trouble! the months we are not at full capacity have a big impact as it is, without tax credits I don't know what we'd do! hubby and wife team so our only income is childminding, and although we can have 6 children each our house is smaller so restricted to 9 - but some times we only have 2 or 3 children here = which doesn't really pay us both minimum wage!