PDA

View Full Version : Starting points...again!

mumofone
20-05-2015, 07:19 PM
If asking parents for their child's starting points, how much info is required? I have a baby starting with me, would just a short sentence be ok for the 3 main areas alone?

What kind of thing should I expect to see?

blue bear
20-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Are you on the independent childminders page on face book, look in files some good starting point sheets there for you to base your questions on

mumofone
20-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Are you on the independent childminders page on face book, look in files some good starting point sheets there for you to base your questions on

Hi bluebear, no I'm very unusual in that I don't use Or go on Facebook

sarah707
21-05-2015, 06:52 AM
What can the child do? What does the child like doing? ... then you can target some of your questions - do you go to groups (tells you if lo plays with other children - PSED / making friends)? What can lo say (tells you about C & L - speech / language etc)?

Parents love talking about what their child can do so it's usually easy to get lots of information :D

Simona
21-05-2015, 07:08 AM
If asking parents for their child's starting points, how much info is required? I have a baby starting with me, would just a short sentence be ok for the 3 main areas alone?

What kind of thing should I expect to see?

Parents will tell you what the starting points are but you have to observe and assess too....so it is a 2 way system.
I usually jot what the parents say in their child's file.

Give the parents the What to expect when? guidance so they have a hint about their child's progress
ask to tick what their child can do, then observe...use DM as a guide.

The parents may say their child holds the spoon very well and you observe the child misses his mouth all the time...so that can be recorded as a next step for development.
The parents say the child drinks well from a glass but you observe water spilled all over...just examples

Do your obs for 4 weeks...this is now widely recommended then, based on your obs, write a short assessment and plan Next Steps with the parents....and by doing so you have started to record the child's learning journey...voila!

Try whatever you can because it is a learning process for you too...part of your CPPD and SEF...eventually you will find your own system and one you are confident with and able to explain to the inspector.

If you need any help google Kathy Brodie...she has good hints on observations and assessment.

You are not unusual...I am not on Facebook either:thumbsup:

greenfaerie
21-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Do your obs for 4 weeks...this is now widely recommended then, based on your obs, write a short assessment and plan Next Steps with the parents....and by doing so you have started to record the child's learning journey...voila!

Thanks for this Simona, I was wondering how long I should continue to observe before trying to highlight the starting point on the children's tracker. I'll give it another couple of weeks. I'm observing A LOT at the moment, just to try and get an idea where the children are at. :S