PDA

View Full Version : Our new babies :)

lizduncan72
18-05-2015, 02:24 PM
8705 our ladybirds have started to hatch :) very excited children ( and childminder lol )

natlou82
18-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Oooh where did you get these from? Are they easy to care for? How long is the process? We did caterpillars last year but the children also have them at school so ladybirds would be a different experience :-)

lizduncan72
18-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Oooh where did you get these from? Are they easy to care for? How long is the process? We did caterpillars last year but the children also have them at school so ladybirds would be a different experience :-)

We got them from Insectlore, we've done the caterpillars for a few years now and thought it would be nice to have something a bit different :) they're really easy, just like the caterpillars, they come in a box with food and you just leave them to get on with what they're doing. Has taken them about three weeks to start coming out , kids (and parents!!) are loving them, parents think it's great cos they've never known what happens with ladybirds and what they look like as babies :) x

miffy
18-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Ooooooo exciting!

Have done the caterpillars before but didn't realise you could get ladybirds too. Might have to have some of those :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

natlou82
18-05-2015, 08:05 PM
This is great I was all set to order the caterpillars after half term but going to check this out now. Thanks for sharing :-)

Maza
18-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Wow, I might have to get these instead of (okay, as well as) caterpillars this year! Didn't realise you could get them. Thanks for sharing.

loocyloo
18-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm rather taken by the idea of ladybirds too xx

Maza
16-03-2016, 11:01 PM
I know this is an old thread but I dug it up to see where the OP got her ladybirds from, as DD wants to buy them instead of butterflies this year. Has anyone else bought them? If so, where did you get them from? They seem really expensive in Insectlore this year (I think they used to sell smaller packs).

Louise_Oaktree
18-03-2016, 09:01 PM
I'd like to know this too :)

Louise_Oaktree
18-03-2016, 09:08 PM
I found this

Use the Butterfly Garden Butterfly Breeding Kits to breed your own Butterflies. (http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=24&cat=32)

click on the link and scroll down the page for ladybird breeding kit

Kirstylob
20-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info! I'd like to do the ladybirds to. I've done butterflies for the past few years but all the children also love hunting for ladybirds in the garden so might do those as well this year. X