PDA

View Full Version : Choking

mumofone
15-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have any good documents on avoiding choking?

crumpet54
15-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Have you not done your first aid course?

mumofone
15-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Have you not done your first aid course?

Yes which was about dealing with choking rather than actual hazards.

Mouse
15-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm sure if you google it you'll find either a document or a poster.

I think most of it is common sense, but it doesn't do any harm to have a reminder now & again - make sure children can't get to coins, small batteries etc. Keep small objects away while they're eating. Watch out for loose buttons or toggles on clothes. Check toys regularly. I often stand in toy shops trying pull bits off toys, especially bits that might be chewed.

Also, be constantly aware of unexpected hazards. My son once nearly choked on a baby wipe. He used to like sucking the liquid out of them (strange child) so I usually kept them out of his way. One day he managed to get hold of the packet & I caught him with (what I thought was) a small bit of baby wipe sticking out of his mouth. When I pulled it out of his mouth I realise it was actually a whole baby wipe that was disappearing down his throat and the little bit I could see was just the end of it. Very scary.

Evie125
15-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Have a look on Capt.org, lots of safety advice on there plus leaflets you can send off for

hectors house
15-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I am paranoid about babies / young children choking on apple and grapes so I cut apples into quarters and slice each quarter into slices as thin as I can and I cut grapes length wise and then in half again. At a toddler group I go to - they cut grapes in half (short side) - may as well give them whole!

crumpet54
15-05-2015, 03:34 PM
The nspcc have recently done a campaign on it, also like others have said a lot of it is common sense and just being aware of risks

crumpet54
15-05-2015, 03:37 PM
I am paranoid about babies / young children choking on apple and grapes so I cut apples into quarters and slice each quarter into slices as thin as I can and I cut grapes length wise and then in half again. At a toddler group I go to - they cut grapes in half (short side) - may as well give them whole!

Oh I know grapes are so frightening I won't give them!

sarah707
15-05-2015, 05:00 PM
If you are a Childcare.co.uk gold member I've written a comprehensive risk assessment / guidance document here - https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus.

hth :D

mumofone
15-05-2015, 06:21 PM
If you are a Childcare.co.uk gold member I've written a comprehensive risk assessment / guidance document here - https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus.

hth :D

Aw great stuff, thanks Sarah :-) Yes it certainly does help! Could i pop in my file as is or should I adapt for my setting?

sarah707
15-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Aw great stuff, thanks Sarah :-) Yes it certainly does help! Could i pop in my file as is or should I adapt for my setting?

You can use it 'as is' - Ofsted like to see us sharing information and supporting each other :D

loocyloo
15-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Elc used to sell a 'choke test' ...which was a small cylinder ... If something could fit inside it, then a child could choke on it.

hectors house
17-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Don't think we did it on the last First Aid course I did but on previous ones when doing the back slaps on the child dummy we had to put a small bung in it's mouth and you knew your back slaps had been effective if it popped out. I had one mum who used to provide a cooked meal for her toddler and I had to ask her to cut her roasted carrots into long slices rather than cubes as they were very firm (due to being roasted) and just the same size as the bung we put into the dummy's throat.

AliceK
17-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Don't think we did it on the last First Aid course I did but on previous ones when doing the back slaps on the child dummy we had to put a small bung in it's mouth and you knew your back slaps had been effective if it popped out. I had one mum who used to provide a cooked meal for her toddler and I had to ask her to cut her roasted carrots into long slices rather than cubes as they were very firm (due to being roasted) and just the same size as the bung we put into the dummy's throat.

Yes we did the same thing on my latest course, we also did one on the instructor, she wore this weird thing and we had to do abdominal thrusts on her to get the thing to come out.

I think almost anything can be a choking hazard, if you research on the size of a childs windpipe it is really really narrow. I think we just have to be vigilant and constantly RA everything.

xx

lollipop kid
17-05-2015, 03:37 PM
I saw a thing recently where they were suggesting the use of a toilet roll tube as a choke tester. Basically, anything that can fit into the toilet roll tube is a choking hazard. (Plus, it's bigger than a child's throat, so consequently you'll treat more things as potential choke hazards rather than less.)

I hate balloons. They terrify me. The lady who does our First Aid courses used to be a nurse, and she has loads of horror stories about bits of balloon becoming 'stuck' (think glued) inside the child's windpipe (as they do when they get wet) and becoming virtually impossible to get air past. (So scary!) I don't have them in my house at all for this reason.

:panic:

L

crumpet54
17-05-2015, 04:11 PM
I saw a thing recently where they were suggesting the use of a toilet roll tube as a choke tester. Basically, anything that can fit into the toilet roll tube is a choking hazard. (Plus, it's bigger than a child's throat, so consequently you'll treat more things as potential choke hazards rather than less.)

I hate balloons. They terrify me. The lady who does our First Aid courses used to be a nurse, and she has loads of horror stories about bits of balloon becoming 'stuck' (think glued) inside the child's windpipe (as they do when they get wet) and becoming virtually impossible to get air past. (So scary!) I don't have them in my house at all for this reason.

:panic:

L

Oh gosh yes I absolutely hate balloons too don't allow them in my house and if I take my daughter somewhere that has them and they pop then omg I go beserk!
"Stand back everyone I have to pick up every piece and tell everyone about the risks! I hate how ignorant some people can be about it! #makes me shudder