PDA

View Full Version : Parents calling to check on child

kmc13
14-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Hi,

How long after a child has settled in with you do you find that parents still call to check up on them? Would you mind getting a call every day?

Thanks

shortstuff
14-05-2015, 09:32 PM
I think it depends on how old lo is, also whether it is a 1st child and parents have never experienced using childcare before.

I have a parent who texts every day and lo has been coming for 16 months. I know its to see how lo is healthwise and as we have made recent changes too so completely support this.

Maybe suggest to your parent that a text would be easier as you then dont have to respond immediately. Also reassure that if you need them you will call.

kmc13
14-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks. He's 2 this month but it's their second child.

I'm happy to reassure her that he's ok but it just feels a bit repetitive saying the same thing each day.

shortstuff
14-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Is it that this lo is going to be their last then? This can also make a difference.

I think i would suggest a text or email to them. Good luck

Maza
14-05-2015, 09:43 PM
I have always had very relaxed parents and so it has been me texting them part way through the first day to say that their little one is fine. Don't think I've done it beyond the first day though. It depends on how long the little one has been with you, some parents just need more reassurance. I would probably start to get a little irritated after a while though - it isn't always convenient to answer the phone in our job! What is their tone when they call - are they pleasant? Maybe they think it is polite to call you daily. You could keep reiterating the point that you will let them know if there is a problem. x

kmc13
14-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Yes she's always nice on the phone which it makes it harder but she is understanding if I can't answer straight away. Thanks

FloraDora
14-05-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't take calls during the day unless it is an emergency.
Answer phone on home phone.
Parents text if they are going to be late etc...

The parents know this, I don't want to be distracted by talking on the phone unless it's absolutely necessary.
Early days or an unsettled child on arrival - I will send a photo of a happily playing child to reassure parents as soon as they have settled/ I have chance to.

kellib
14-05-2015, 10:15 PM
I've had one parent text most days about LO for the 2 and a half years that LO was here, I didn't mind though, it doesn't take long to reply to a text and if it keeps parents happy and relaxed about their LO's being here then I'm happy to do it.

loocyloo
15-05-2015, 05:44 AM
I have a mum who texts most days to see how LO is ... I text back when I have a moment ... and if she hasn't text me, I usually text her .... saves her phoning me when I'm trying to sort tea at end of day! ( she just likes to know how the day has gone so she can be prepared! ) however LO has only been coming a few weeks and is still settling!
I do suggest to parents that they text rather than call as I can't always answer phone! But if I can, I do ... it might be an emergency.

Rubybubbles
15-05-2015, 06:13 AM
No phone calls but often texts or what's app works well

I often send a quick update and photo after lunch and any obs get submitted on tapestry.

They are probably more it's Ruby again-rather than the other way around lol!!