PDA

View Full Version : Fireguard alternatives

mumofone
14-05-2015, 12:10 PM
DS is currently jumping up and down on my fire guard, we have a log burner. Does anyone have any ideas for alternative solutions to the standard fire guard to prevent him going near the log burner (it's never used whilst hea awake or when mindees are here) but we don't want it opened and played with etc and it has a small glass door

moggy
14-05-2015, 01:47 PM
If it is never hot then I'd just be teaching children not to touch. Maybe tie closed the door somehow to deter them from fiddling with it. Is there a raised surround to it that you can teach them is 'out of bounds'?

Just as I do not what them 'playing' with our stereo or dishwasher buttons etc- I do not cover them, I teach them not to touch. This is assuming you have RA and there is no other danger there.
Or move furniture in front, use a room-divider-fence thing (babydan?)

AliceK
14-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I also RA and then teach the children what is acceptable to touch / look at and what isn't. There is lots in my home that I don't want the children touching but I refuse to move them I just teach them that it is not ok. Obviously if you were to be using the wood burner that would be entirely different as the risk is too high but if it's not hot then it's okay to just teach them to leave it.

xxx