PDA

View Full Version : Hernia :( what shall I do....

VeggieSausage
13-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I have been told I have a hernia and should be careful when lifting....this job obviously is not great for that....I am not sure what to do....

1. Give up little ones and just do after schools

2. Give up and get a different job

3. Carry on.....

Anyone ever had this....

VeggieSausage
13-05-2015, 03:41 PM
anyone any experience of this?

lollipop kid
13-05-2015, 03:54 PM
anyone any experience of this?

Hello, I didn't want to read and run. I had a para-umbilical hernia many years ago. (It was pre-childminding, but I did do a LOT of clubbing so lots of mad dancing, etc.) For the first two years I just used to push it back in, but the Doctor told me that I would have problems if I put on any weight. I didn't, but I did eventually get it operated on when I was in my mid-20s. There is no way I could have childminded after the operation for several weeks, as my stomach would just not have been up to it (I suppose the closest I could think of to this would be having a Caesarian, when they tell you to take it easy for the first 6 weeks or so - don't drive, etc.? Never having had one, I don't really know how similar an experience that would be, but it's the closest I can think of).

I've not had any problems with it the whole time I've been childminding (8 years plus). My back is fine, too.

I would say that each person copes with things differently. I would just speak to the Doctor and tell him what a typical day is for you, and ask him/her how you can work around it. I would also say that it's probably better to get it dealt with sooner rather than later.

Hope that has helped in some way.

All the best,

L

shortstuff
13-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry the only experience i have is ds has had 2 inguinal hernias. He was only 4 and 5 months old though.

Have they said they are going to repair it?

lollipop kid
13-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Forgot to say, the scar is not noticeable at all for me, as it is just under the flap of skin above my belly button, so no-one but me knows it's there (and that was NHS). I did a little bit of modelling at the time, so the surgeon was really sweet about trying to hide it. (Those were the days! )

:thumbsup:

L

loocyloo
13-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Oh goodness.

I hope they will be able to do something to help. I don't have any experience of hernias.

Would you want to just do schoolies? Is there the demand?

VeggieSausage
13-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I have been referred and am seeing consultant in mid June....feel a bit down about it which is not like me but hey ho got to get on with things....

Mummits
13-05-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm no medical expert but I do understand that there are lots of different types, and lots of different treatments. My mum had a lot of digestive problems, eventually diagnosed as a hernia, and had surgery but it was a combination of keyhole and (I can't remember the proper name for it) putting instruments down a tube down her throat. There is nothing at all to see in the way of scars and apart from a sore throat at the time, not a lot of discomfort from the surgery, though she did have to take it easy for a while.

I think sometimes these things happen because they are meant to be. Don't worry about the parents or the kiddies, or what you ought to do, think what would you really like to do, and go for that. Or if you don't know, maybe use the recovery time to take a breather and consider your options, maybe think outside the box a little.

Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery.

sarah707
13-05-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't really lift any more - I bum boost to promote independence and I sit where children can climb on me.

I hope you feel better soon xx

VeggieSausage
14-05-2015, 11:09 AM
What is bum boost Sarah?

mumofone
21-05-2015, 09:40 PM
What is bum boost Sarah?

Lol I was wondering the same!

mama2three
21-05-2015, 10:13 PM
where they climb up themselves with a little added push from you on the bum!!

catswhiskers
24-05-2015, 08:47 PM
If you've been told you have a hernia I think you will have to have an op at some stage so it must be a worry for you.

I had to have an emergency op nearly 4 years ago when I was told I had an umbilical hernia. It was 5 weeks after I'd just got an outstanding at my latest inspection.

I'd been getting a dull ache just above my belly button for around 6 months and it was worse when I sang on the local karoeke and also when lifting. In this job I just carried on lifting, bending, pushing the double buggy, lifting heavy tables etc. as I run a toddler group.

After a really busy day I felt really rough and in pain and a small pea sized lump kept jutting out above my belly button.

Went to the docs that evening and he sent me straight to local hospital where I was operated on that night! I was so scared as I just wasn't expecting it. All I could think of was my own children.

They operated and pushed the hernia back in where it's meant to go! I didn't need to have mesh covering inside like some people do though as the surgeon said it wasn't needed. They had to operate as surgeon said the hernia could have become strangulated at any time and cut off blood supply to organs!

I was advised to take 6 weeks off (took 5). First few weeks were a bit painful and awkward as even getting out of a chair was uncomfortable because of where the scar was. Didn't drive for a while as even turning the steering wheel put pressure on the scar.

Then 4 weeks post-op my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have a major op so I had to help look after her and my Dad who had Alzheimers, on top of childminding and looking after my own family.

A lots happened since then and I'm still childminding, just!

VeggieSausage
26-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I have an appointment in the middle of June now so hopefully I will know a bit more by then, gosh I could do without this!!!

hectors house
26-05-2015, 04:30 PM
I had an operation on my shoulder about 3 years ago I had help for a week and then managed on my own as when my shoulder was really bad before the operation the children had to learn to be independent eg: climb into own car seat or up to table booster seat, climb onto a single bed so I could swing them with my good arm into travel cot - so they just carried on doing those things after the operation.

shmuck9681
01-06-2015, 09:26 PM
i had my gall bladder removed when my own baby was 4 months old sept 2012 and from this ended up with i incisional hernia in my belly button from the keyhole sugery in perhaps january 2013, i managed to work everyday minding children of various ages and my own 2 (6 months and 3 years) finally coulnt take the pain no more and had surgery november 2014 i had planned to take 1 week off from schoolies and 3 weeks off for little ones, but keyhole failed and i had to be opened and an overnight stay in hospital and had 10 days off all children apart from my own, and 3 weeks off pre school child and was fine just took it easy and made sure the big ones put things back away after themselves and done no arts and crafts for 3 weeks as getting down on the floor could have damaged the mesh but we are now 7 months later and dont regret getting it fixed at all feel like i have my life back as there was lots i couldnt do because of the hernia, hth and good luck for your appointment. xXx