PDA

View Full Version : Own children in ratios

mumofone
13-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Sorry i think this has been done to death :blush: but can anyone remind me whether my own child is included in my allowed ratios? Thank you

lollipop kid
13-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Sorry i think this has been done to death :blush: but can anyone remind me whether my own child is included in my allowed ratios? Thank you

Yes, until they are over 8 (in England).

All the best,

L

P24 of Statutory guidelines:

Childminders
3.41. At any one time, childminders may care for a maximum of six children under the age of eight (Note 26). Of these six children, a maximum of three may be young children, and there should only be one child under the age of one. A child is a young child up until 1st September following his or her fifth birthday. Any care provided for older children must not adversely affect the care of children receiving early years provision.

Notes:
(26) Including the childminder’s own children or any other children for whom they are responsible such as those being fostered.

Rick
13-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Your own children definitely count in your ratios if they are in your direct care.

We have had it confirmed by Gill Jones, Deputy Director of Early Years at Ofsted, that it is viable to take your own children out of your ratios when in the care if someone else and you have a plan B should that arrangement fail.

Our advice would be to print this letter out, do a RA including plan B, inform other parents. It should be a regular arrangement for your own child, not a temporary thing which you know will finish shortly in order to take on more children.

gemma659353
15-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Yes, until they are over 8 (in England). All the best, L P24 of Statutory guidelines: Childminders 3.41. At any one time, childminders may care for a maximum of six children under the age of eight (Note 26). Of these six children, a maximum of three may be young children, and there should only be one child under the age of one. A child is a young child up until 1st September following his or her fifth birthday. Any care provided for older children must not adversely affect the care of children receiving early years provision. Notes: (26) Including the childminder’s own children or any other children for whom they are responsible such as those being fostered.

From what has been put to define young children, if u have a child who is 4 and had school but doesn't turn 5 until August they still count in my 3 young children???? I thought as soon as they were in full time education whether they were four or five they went into the next bracket??

Rick
15-05-2015, 09:13 PM
From what has been put to define young children, if u have a child who is 4 and had school but doesn't turn 5 until August they still count in my 3 young children???? I thought as soon as they were in full time education whether they were four or five they went into the next bracket??

The next clause says:

3.42 If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.

lollipop kid
15-05-2015, 09:21 PM
The next clause says:

3.42 If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.

Thanks, Rick. I was looking for that bit as well to quote. (You beat me to it!)

:thumbsup:

L

I would add though that, ratios aside, you should really consider the needs of all of these younger children and how you will meet them when you are caring for 4 at once - especially during school holidays. I'm thinking mealtimes, naps at different times, etc. If you think you can handle your 4, then go for it. (I'm a cautious Carol and always prioritise safety before anything else.)

Hope that helps,

L