PDA

View Full Version : Taking babies outside

mumofone
13-05-2015, 10:24 AM
I guess this is both a childminding question and a new mum question but I am wondering how to take babies into the garden safely etc. Obviously when they are in their pushchairs they are fine but my own baby is now really heavy and can only be held for so long but I am not confident about my outside space being safe. Do I put a rug down on the ground (we have a lawn) and just let them crawl about. For minded children (and my own) do you use some kind of play pen so they dont crawl off and try and eat the plants?! What are your set ups? I know, im clueless! :blush:

Maza
13-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Let them roam free. The feeling of grass on bare skin is a wonderful, natural sensory experience (although my DD didn't like is as a baby - loves it now). I do usually provide a picnic blanket but if they want to crawl off it absolutely let them. It would do more harm than good to restrict them. You will need to monitor them because yes, they will put everything in their mouth as part of their sensory exploration/learning about the world, but don't hover over them or they will start to believe that they are not capable of functioning independently - well, that's a bit extreme but you know what I mean!

Rubybubbles
13-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Mine go outside all the time. I've a new baby (12months) who "hates" grass, not seeig that here lol she's filthy as the grass is so wet but having a whale of a time. I have lots of areas with rugs/mats so they can play off the grass if wanted too.

My beach tent is very very useful in the garden for childminding!

crumpet54
13-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I guess this is both a childminding question and a new mum question but I am wondering how to take babies into the garden safely etc. Obviously when they are in their pushchairs they are fine but my own baby is now really heavy and can only be held for so long but I am not confident about my outside space being safe. Do I put a rug down on the ground (we have a lawn) and just let them crawl about. For minded children (and my own) do you use some kind of play pen so they dont crawl off and try and eat the plants?! What are your set ups? I know, im clueless! :blush:

Yes of course! They need to explore! A few rugs scattered about toys etc take their socks off let the grass go between their toes a lovely sensory experience! From any age!

mumofone
13-05-2015, 12:08 PM
What if their parents have dressed them all nicely and they get a grass stain on them?! I know some parents are a bit funny about this kind of thing?

moggy
13-05-2015, 12:19 PM
What if their parents have dressed them all nicely and they get a grass stain on them?! I know some parents are a bit funny about this kind of thing?

Tell them from the start you like to get outdoors, that you do messy play and painting and that they should always be dressed appropriately- put in a policy if you like. If any parent complained about a grass stain I would be having words with them- they should be very pleased their child is getting out on the grass and having fun. I send them home with all kinds on them! (paint, felt-tip pen, mud, grass stains, and lots of food marks!).

Rubybubbles
13-05-2015, 01:04 PM

See it as a challenge to get them even messier haha!

One in white leggings today-not for long haha

loocyloo
13-05-2015, 01:14 PM
I work on the assumption that the parents know what we do and where we go ... so that whatever they wear is suitable and won't matter if it gets dirty!
The same with shoes ... pretty canvas slip ons look great covered in mud when 'you won't need wellies today' :-D

natlou82
13-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I tell parents not to send brand new, expensive or best clothes. The best part of this job is getting messy ;-)