PDA

View Full Version : How long did you take you to get going??!

**Orchard CM**
12-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Just a thread to see how long it took you before getting business etc? Thanks xx

ajc
13-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Took me about six months to start to get work, have been working ten years and this was the hardest time moneywise. Once people know you they will recommend you and a lot of work will be by word of mouth.

loocyloo
13-05-2015, 01:29 PM
when I registered as a childminder I was working as a nanny, and wasn't really looking for minded children. In conversation at toddlers I found myself some mindees, so I gave notice to my nanny family, and started childminding within a few weeks. I was quickly full through word of mouth.

4 years ago I moved 250 miles and knew nobody where I now live! it took about 4 months to get my first mindee (from toddlers) and then another 2 months before I got anymore, and suddenly I was full! I have been pretty much full every since. I have quieter days, but usually within a term, something or someone comes along that fills a gap. it took me a year before I took on any schoolies ( but that was sort of my decision, as I wasn't sure if I wanted to do schoolies again, but my daughter was keen, and we knew/liked the girls that I was being asked to mind! )

it is mainly word of mouth and being seen out and about. it was hard, I used to phone friends where I had lived before saying I was going to have to get a different job, as there just didn't seem to be any demand! it wasn't that I was interviewing parents and not getting the children - there just wasn't anyone looking for care! ( I do live in quite a rural area )

good luck xxx

natlou82
13-05-2015, 01:37 PM
I had my first (schoolie) mindee lined up before I my pre reg and I also take care of my niece and nephew so they were a good starting point, I got all of my other mindees from childcare.co.uk and word of mouth (I'm also well known at the schools my children attend) I was full within 3 months! Talk about jump in at the deep end. I have been minding for s year now and I'm still full and loving it :-)