PDA

View Full Version : Keeping childs confidential info

mumofone
12-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Can anyone just clarify that as long as the information we keep about a child is kept securely and out of sight that it doesn't need to be locked?
Anyone know wHats acceptable?

mum24
13-05-2015, 04:54 AM
I am pretty sure it does not need to be locked away.
Just make sure it is not around for just anyone to pick up and browse through.

**Orchard CM**
13-05-2015, 08:43 AM
I thought it had to be in a lockable filing cabinet? Not sure now if you say that but I think it's obviously important not to leave information laying around for people to see xx

Simona
13-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Can anyone just clarify that as long as the information we keep about a child is kept securely and out of sight that it doesn't need to be locked?
Anyone know wHats acceptable?

EYFS p 29 sections 3.68 3.69 and 3.70 give guidance on how records must be accessible and available to those who have right to access or professional need to see them.
They have to be securely stored so no member of the public can access them nor your family. Keep then out of reach of your children.

Lots of records are now online and those are protected by Data Protection and ICO membership.

mumofone
13-05-2015, 10:27 AM
EYFS p 29 sections 3.68 3.69 and 3.70 give guidance on how records must be accessible and available to those who have right to access or professional need to see them.
They have to be securely stored so no member of the public can access them nor your family. Keep then out of reach of your children.

Lots of records are now online and those are protected by Data Protection and ICO membership.

Thanks Simona, this is where I am unsure though because if I held them upstairs in our study (not used for minding) then my partner could *in theory* access him (not that he would or would want to!) so therefore the only way i can really claim they are safe is if i lock them away but that just seems really OTT?!

Rubybubbles
13-05-2015, 10:47 AM
I have a lockable filing cabinet for all mine x eBay often have them cheap an cheerful

Simona
14-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks Simona, this is where I am unsure though because if I held them upstairs in our study (not used for minding) then my partner could *in theory* access him (not that he would or would want to!) so therefore the only way i can really claim they are safe is if i lock them away but that just seems really OTT?!

Rubybubbles' suggestion of a lockable box is really good...make sure you can have it at hand for inspection as you may need some records as evidence on the day.

In your SEF, where you cover the Records welfare requirement, state you keep them in your office so out of reach of the public.

crumpet54
14-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Ikea have lockable files