PDA

View Full Version : Planning for 1 year old

Ellisha
09-05-2015, 06:52 AM
What sort of individual planning do you do for a one year old (specifically 15 months). He doesn't sit or stand still for very long, so I'm not sure on activities to plan. I've been do free play with items out that I think are age appropriate such as puzzles, bricks and encourage him to look at them but often he will for a minute or two and then he's off! What planning is expected for this age?
Thanks

moggy
09-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Treasure baskets; balls to push; baby toys; space to roll/crawl; furniture to pull-up and start cruising along; taking them on different surfaces to feel- grass, sandpit, bark chippings; boxes to put things in and out of; singing together; bouncing-on-your-knee songs and rhymes; baby music/percussion rattles and bells etc; moving to music; peek-a-boo; hand puppets; board books; mirrors.

I do not write planning for individual planning much just a few words on a play plan ideas sheet. It is more about providing opportunities for the above type of things- planning to go to a big sandpit so they can sit and feel the sand, planning to spend time 1-to-1 playing 'where's your nose/tummy?', planning to move some things out of the way to make plenty of floor space for crawling or to get a walker-trolley to push along when they are on their feet

Ellisha
09-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Thank you. That's basically what I was doing, but it felt like it wasn't enough! It's exactly what I did for my own kids, but I guess I'm trying to make things too complicated.

KateA
09-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Hi I also do lots of water play e.g pouring, tipping bathing dolls etc and lots of arts n craft my little 20 lo loves all these plus pushing toy cars down a cardboard tube x