PDA

View Full Version : just dont get it

rainbowsdawn
03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
i have sat for 3 hours baffled, ive read the EYFS pack and im trying to move my standards and policies etc to new folder ready for sept.

where do i start?
what are the headings fo the EYFS and what standards go there?
do i need to make a new book up for everychild (for obs,photos etc)

so sorry for all the questions but my course isn till the end of oct...ehat use is that?

sarah707
03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
1. How is your folder set out at the moment??

2. Yes, every child needs some type of file or scrapbook putting together and personalising for photos, obs and planning ideas.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it so far... let me know about the folder and I'll do what i can to help :D

rainbowsdawn
03-08-2008, 08:12 PM
1. How is your folder set out at the moment??

2. Yes, every child needs some type of file or scrapbook putting together and personalising for photos, obs and planning ideas.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it so far... let me know about the folder and I'll do what i can to help :D

Hi

at the moment my file is in the national standards, i have paper work everywhere...lol I set out all my policies under stands 1, stand 2 etc.

I was thinking of buying an A4 folder per child, for photos etc. Do i do seperate planning for each child of just one planning for each child and stating in their own folders what it meets on EYFS?

your a star thanks

sarah707
03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Everything I've got is currently set out for the Every Child Matters agenda... and I'm not changing it until I see how Ofsted are doing the inspections in September. Then I'll consider what to do for the best.

Setting portfolios out under eyfs could be tricky because it's all over the place, but if you look at the actual headers of eyfs, they follow Every Child Matters closely ... Safeguarding - keeping children safe etc.

If you have a nosey at my website, I've set out 5 pages in the Every Child Matters agenda... you are welcome to use the ideas for your portfolio if you find them useful.

For the children's folders, it's up to you how you set them out... you have to prove you are meeting the standards of the eyfs, but they do not tell us how to meet them!

I have a big planning folder... with multicultural info, festivals, celebrations, seasons stuff, music and rhymes, favourite books... all my planning. I set out vague plans for the month, then watch what the children are doing and saying and how they are playing... I do my observations, look at what their next steps might be and plan for those.

With over 3s, I then do some of my planned activities, but I ask them what they want to do and it's play based, not sitting down learning, that's for elsewhere. Our job is to complement other settings.

Does this make better sense? :D

rainbowsdawn
03-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Everything I've got is currently set out for the Every Child Matters agenda... and I'm not changing it until I see how Ofsted are doing the inspections in September. Then I'll consider what to do for the best.

Setting portfolios out under eyfs could be tricky because it's all over the place, but if you look at the actual headers of eyfs, they follow Every Child Matters closely ... Safeguarding - keeping children safe etc.

If you have a nosey at my website, I've set out 5 pages in the Every Child Matters agenda... you are welcome to use the ideas for your portfolio if you find them useful.

For the children's folders, it's up to you how you set them out... you have to prove you are meeting the standards of the eyfs, but they do not tell us how to meet them!

I have a big planning folder... with multicultural info, festivals, celebrations, seasons stuff, music and rhymes, favourite books... all my planning. I set out vague plans for the month, then watch what the children are doing and saying and how they are playing... I do my observations, look at what their next steps might be and plan for those.

With over 3s, I then do some of my planned activities, but I ask them what they want to do and it's play based, not sitting down learning, that's for elsewhere. Our job is to complement other settings.

Does this make better sense? :D

Thanks, i think ive had enought tonight, will have a day tomo trying to get organised, thanks again

kindredspirits
03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
sarah can i come and live with you for a week?!?! :laughing: i've got a jumble of paperwork, with no order and no idea of where to start!! you can be my mentor!!! :D
i keep meaning to work out what i'm doing with all my paperwork but sleep beckons too much with george not sleeping a wink at night these days!!

sue m
03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Good luck then Dawn and welcome to the confused club!!!!! I'm exactly the same, I have been working on my paperwork - just the policies, re-writing them and putting things in different folders ALL weekend. I've just decided that I've had enough for tonight too! :D

Spangles
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm confused now because I don't see the need to change my policies and procedures, order of my file, etc so what am I missing? I think that I obviously don't get this EYFS business!

I'm worried now.

miffy
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm confused now because I don't see the need to change my policies and procedures, order of my file, etc so what am I missing? I think that I obviously don't get this EYFS business!

I'm worried now.

You don't have to change anything if it works for you so don't worry about it.

Still, what do I know - I have my head in the sand :laughing:

Miffy xx

Trouble
03-08-2008, 10:11 PM
me too:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Spangles
03-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm the same as you both really, just beginning to look through it all and it doesn't seem different to B23 to me, just different terminology. Everything I did before will change transfer over with changes to the titles, etc.

I am so totally missing something, I know I am!

I know it goes past 3 years old but that's not a problem to me, I'm very worried! My inspection is on 18th Aug so I know I won't be inspected on it but I want to have evidence lying around that I'm getting on top of it! Ha ha!

miffy
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Read through what's on the Bromley site - they have just added some sample obs and next steps to the site or look at under5's site there is a simple explanation on there about EYFS.

Sarah's website has an overview of each outcome and what you can do to show you're meeting the standards and the relevant policies.

I don't know if you're missing anything - I think I'm missing quite a lot but I'm sure I'll catch up somewhere along the line :laughing:

Miffy xx

Spangles
03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Me too. Oh well!

I think what I'll do is get my dev offcr to come and visit in a couple of months and see what she says about what I'm doing. That's the easiest way I think.

I don't want to spend out for different books and things if I've got it all under control or can do it myself as I actually enjoy this type of thing once I get my head round it.