PDA

View Full Version : Constant questions!!!

KatieFS
29-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Sigh!!! 4 yo constant questions. Like verbal diahorrea asking questions not waiting or listening to an answer..often the same questions again again
Exhausting!!!
How do reception teachers cope mentally! ?!
I've got a headache

shortstuff
29-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Haha my ds is still like that n hes in juniors lol

AliceK
29-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Oh you have my sympathies.
I have 3 year olds that do this all day. They ask questions with really really obvious answers too. I also have one that gives me a running commentary of EVERYTHING that is happening or what someone else has said even when I am in the room with them and can see and hear for myself. It drives me mad :panic:

xxx

smurfette
29-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Yes I have two three year olds like this! And like alices one of these does a commentary.. He likes his routine and what happening next but can't live in the moment .. So he will say 'we are going to toddlers today, then home for lunch,
What are we having for lunch.? Then we will collect the girls then play then snack then the mummies come' .. Then at toddlers he will say it all again from when we get
Home.. And so on all day!! I do say just enjoy t
Toddlers, home later! Drives me nutty!

KatieFS
30-04-2015, 08:03 PM
😄 brilliant!!

Simona
01-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Sigh!!! 4 yo constant questions. Like verbal diahorrea asking questions not waiting or listening to an answer..often the same questions again again
Exhausting!!!
How do reception teachers cope mentally! ?!
I've got a headache

That made me laugh a bit as I recall a 4 yo who never stopped asking questions...but instead of starting the question with 'Why?'...he used to say 'because....then ask the question'...a very clever little mind he turned out to be...constant question are part of the 'thinking critically' process

It is part of child development...no questions could be a sign of lack of curiosity etc etc. I would be worried if they did not ask...but I agree about the repetition...Use Sustained Shared Thinking and you will break that cycle by getting the child to reflect.

So Many Questions | Parents | Scholastic.com (http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/article/thinking-skills-learning-styles/so-many-questions)

Why Toddlers Ask Why (http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/ask-heidi/why-why-why.aspx)

Kerry30
01-05-2015, 09:06 AM
I have an lo (5yrs) that expects me to reply to everything thats said. Such as lo will say ' i just saw a cat' and she will keep saying it until i give some sort of answer. I do say sometimes that i am listening i just dont always need to reply. Normally its when another child is talking to me.
Its the random questions my dd (8) comes out with that sometimes i just have no idea how to answer!

keohane1
01-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Ha ha yes I've had this one too!
Constantly says my name and then a question over and over. It drives me bonkers and really stresses me out especially when you are trying to do something and they are in your face all day. 😜

samb
02-05-2015, 12:49 PM
I used to have a lo 37 hours a week do this - she was 2. She has just come back for funded session 5 hours a week and is now 3. I hoped she had outgrown it- she hasn't. Those are the longest 5 hours of the week!

Jiorjiina
02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
I have one the same. Constantly asking "Why?". So I ask it back to him: '"Why do you think?", especially if it's a question he's already asked. For a lot of things he already knows the answers and just wants confirmation, so getting him to answer his own question helps him to confirm it for himself.

Sometimes if he starts asking when I am very busy doing something and I really don't have time to answer (not often, but we all have moments like that), I will calmly ask him to let me finish what I am doing before I answer his question. Same if he keeps asking me questions while I'm talking to a parent at pick up/drop off time.

I like the fact that he asks all the questions, but it's also important that he understands about not interrupting people and waiting until I (or anyone else) can answer.

bunyip
03-05-2015, 09:20 AM
"Because why's not zed, and zed's final." :D

Mouse
03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I have a constant checker -

X...What are we having for lunch today?
Me..We're going to have beans on toast.

Slight pause

X...Are we having beans on toast for lunch today?
Me..yes, beans on toast. You like beans on toast don't you?
X...yes, I love beans on toast.
Me..good.

Slight pause

X...are we having beans on toast for lunch?
Me..yes
X..not sandwiches?
Me..no, not sandwiches today. Would you prefer sandwiches?
X...no, I want beans on toast
Me..that's good.

Slight pause

X...are we having beans on toast for lunch
Me..yes X, you know we are
X...not sandwiches?
Me..no, do you remember we've talked about this. We're having beans on toast
X...yes, so we're having beans on toast?
Me..yes. Now let's talk about something else

Slight pause
X...are we..
Me..YES, we're having beans on toast for lunch. Now please don't mention it again
X...beans...
Me...don't X, just don't ask me again
X...ok. What are we having for snack

Me...arrgghhhhhhhhhh!!!

loocyloo
03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
I've got one who doesn't question but whatever I say says 'yes, that's a good idea' !!!

bunyip
03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
I've got one who doesn't question but whatever I say says 'yes, that's a good idea' !!!

I wonder if your lo is half as annoying as one of our local CMs who has to squeeze the word "amazing!" (complete with exclamation mark) at full volume into every sentence? :angry: