PDA

View Full Version : School closed due to overflowing toilets!

Ripeberry
29-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Took my own daughter up to school with 2yr old mindee and the headmistress was in the car park turning parents away, due to a lack of toilet facilities. They do have the teachers toilets, but kids aren't allowed in there. Some parents were a bit angry to say the least (only 20 mins notice).
What reasons, have you come across for a school having to close?

Mouse
29-04-2015, 08:42 AM
The only reasons we've had are the usual - broken boiler, leaking roof and snow days. The only slightly odd closure was because of a horrible smell in the school. They assumed it was due to blocked drains, so closed while they investigated.

Rubybubbles
29-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Dust when getting building work done! Still have my doubts though as the school was closed for 2 days- when opened day of inspection!!!

Simona
29-04-2015, 10:36 AM
If ALL toilets are overflowing then it would be an issue of Health hence the closure....if the facilities were reduced they could work around that surely?
Most schools do inform parents by text/email ...maybe they did not have the time to inform everyone.

tess1981
29-04-2015, 10:55 AM
School grounds flooded due to the river beside it. The football field has water to the top cross bar of the goal posts. These are gealic football posts so higher that soccer ones also the main entrance to school was like a river too ...

Ripeberry
29-04-2015, 01:48 PM
If ALL toilets are overflowing then it would be an issue of Health hence the closure....if the facilities were reduced they could work around that surely?
Most schools do inform parents by text/email ...maybe they did not have the time to inform everyone.

They did text, but just as we were leaving.

tulip0803
29-04-2015, 05:04 PM
They may have only realised that they were overflowing as they were checked just before school or if there is a breakfast club then it may have happened then.

Reasons for closure at our school - Oil was stolen from tank, school broken into twice, then had to close to have the internal glass replaced due to one of the break ins, carpark and footpaths too icy. We live in a rural quiet area and not much crime (except at the school:mad:)

FloraDora
29-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I once had to close a school early as the police warned us a dangerous escaped prisoner was on his way to us...he was a dad who was intent on killing his wife and her lover ....and knew they would be at school at hometime - their advice to close but couldn't tell parents the complete truth!

AliceK
29-04-2015, 05:34 PM
I once had to close a school early as the police warned us a dangerous escaped prisoner was on his way to us...he was a dad who was intent on killing his wife and her lover ....and knew they would be at school at hometime - their advice to close but couldn't tell parents the complete truth!

OMG that must have been so scary. It's my worst nightmare that some lunatic is on the loose when the school is open.

xxx

Ripeberry
29-04-2015, 05:51 PM
OMG that must have been so scary. It's my worst nightmare that some lunatic is on the loose when the school is open.

xxx

Our school is rural and has to have high security due to the amount of ' At her Majesty Pleasure' 'guests just down the road.

loocyloo
29-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Our school is rural and has to have high security due to the amount of ' At her Majesty Pleasure' 'guests just down the road.

I grew up going to schools within a certain distance of another 'at her majesty's pleasure' places and they used to test the alarm siren every Monday. If the alarm went off at any other time then that meant someone had escaped and no one was allowed out of school without a parent/adult.

blue bear
30-04-2015, 10:08 PM
When I was at school our school closed for bomb scares it was the height of the ira unrest.

k1rstie
01-05-2015, 06:31 AM
I grew up going to schools within a certain distance of another 'at her majesty's pleasure' places and they used to test the alarm siren every Monday. If the alarm went off at any other time then that meant someone had escaped and no one was allowed out of school without a parent/adult.

I also live near another monday morning alarm. It makes my policy about national disasters, mental hospital break outs, etc very interesting.

clareelizabeth1
03-05-2015, 08:06 PM
My primary and high school were next to a mental institution. We used to get the odd half day. And we're often given the name and colour of a car to avoid on the way home. Also had a half day due to students from another school pushing one of our pupils under a bus and the yelling about how he would knife anyone he saw in our uniform the next day. The child did live thankfully.

The worst for me though was not the school closing but the teacher locking our class room door and closing the old boob shutters and making us sit all huddled in a corner behind desks. Telling us story's. I remember her being white as a sheet and shaking. Later I found out that a man had escaped from the mental institution and was marching up and down the hall way with a gun. After that security improved to the point of stupidness.

Ripeberry
03-05-2015, 09:14 PM
My primary and high school were next to a mental institution. We used to get the odd half day. And we're often given the name and colour of a car to avoid on the way home. Also had a half day due to students from another school pushing one of our pupils under a bus and the yelling about how he would knife anyone he saw in our uniform the next day. The child did live thankfully.

The worst for me though was not the school closing but the teacher locking our class room door and closing the old boob shutters and making us sit all huddled in a corner behind desks. Telling us story's. I remember her being white as a sheet and shaking. Later I found out that a man had escaped from the mental institution and was marching up and down the hall way with a gun. After that security improved to the point of stupidness.

That must have been terrifying! Hope they don't have that mental institution there any more!

shortstuff
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Clareelizabeth your story just reminded me about being evacuated from infant school. There was a man pointing a gun at the school from the block of flats next door.

In future years we found out he was a paedo and the boy who used to visit had stopped going. The boy also attended our school which was infant and junior combined.

All i remember is we had to walk a long was home and i can still picture a man we saw. Bless him. He was a man with dwarfism. He was wearing a traditional kilt and regalia carrying a flower pot.

Now why i remember that man i couldn't say but its as clear as if it were yesterday.

clareelizabeth1
05-05-2015, 06:49 AM
I think I might have to look it up and see if it's still there. I moved away from the area and haven't been back for years.

It's odd what you remember from scary times like you remembering that man. I could still draw the class room layout perfectly as its just imprinted in my head.

shortstuff
05-05-2015, 08:35 AM
I think I might have to look it up and see if it's still there. I moved away from the area and haven't been back for years.

It's odd what you remember from scary times like you remembering that man. I could still draw the class room layout perfectly as its just imprinted in my head.

Wow thats also random. I showed DS where my schools used to be as ge asked a little while ago. I discovered the last one has now gone. That makes me feel old lol. None of my schools are still standing. 2 have been rebuilt on the same land but the other is completely gone.

Maza
05-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Wow, this thread is scary!

FloraDora
05-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Wow thats also random. I showed DS where my schools used to be as ge asked a little while ago. I discovered the last one has now gone. That makes me feel old lol. None of my schools are still standing. 2 have been rebuilt on the same land but the other is completely gone.

It's such a shame that these visual memories are lost now within your family.

All the schools/ college I attended closed down after me- my junior school building was taken over by the Secondary modern school on the same site the year after I left and it went into the infant building and renamed itself.
I went to a grammar school and the year after I left it became a comp - new name, new buildings.
I studied at a teachers training college under Birmingham University that closed, so my year was the last year - which meant there was only my year in the building for a year, it is still there but part of Aston Uni and a housing cooperative now...the first school I taught in amalgamated with another too.
I am the kiss of death when it comes to school closures!

shortstuff
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
It's such a shame that these visual memories are lost now within your family.

All the schools/ college I attended closed down after me- my junior school building was taken over by the Secondary modern school on the same site the year after I left and it went into the infant building and renamed itself.
I went to a grammar school and the year after I left it became a comp - new name, new buildings.
I studied at a teachers training college under Birmingham University that closed, so my year was the last year - which meant there was only my year in the building for a year, it is still there but part of Aston Uni and a housing cooperative now...the first school I taught in amalgamated with another too.
I am the kiss of death when it comes to school closures!

Bless you.

My infants is now houses.

My juniors is now a sure start newly built place.

My secondary got torn down and rebuilt where the woods were within the same plot of land.

Maza
05-05-2015, 07:56 PM
My infant and junior school have just been pulled down at the start of this year. Someone organised a reunion/farewell and all past pupils and teachers were invited. The current pupils sang a pop song from each of the six decades that the school had been open (The Beatles, Abba, Wham, can't remember the more modern ones!) and an old Headteacher read 'Goodbye Old School' by Alan Ahlberg. It was soooo emotional. We then all looked around the school. Lots of us said later that we thought we would spend twenty or so minutes looking around the school, but we actually took about 2 and a half hours. I met up with my old/first best friend who I had not seen for about 25 years, and another girl from our class. The school had hardly changed at all (hence it needed pulling down!) and it's funny all the little nooks and crannies of the building you remember, but haven't given a second thought to in several decades - the floor tiles, the coat pegs, the pipes. I was so happy that I went. That night there was a disco organised with more songs from each of the decades.

shortstuff
05-05-2015, 08:45 PM
My infant and junior school have just been pulled down at the start of this year. Someone organised a reunion/farewell and all past pupils and teachers were invited. The current pupils sang a pop song from each of the six decades that the school had been open (The Beatles, Abba, Wham, can't remember the more modern ones!) and an old Headteacher read 'Goodbye Old School' by Alan Ahlberg. It was soooo emotional. We then all looked around the school. Lots of us said later that we thought we would spend twenty or so minutes looking around the school, but we actually took about 2 and a half hours. I met up with my old/first best friend who I had not seen for about 25 years, and another girl from our class. The school had hardly changed at all (hence it needed pulling down!) and it's funny all the little nooks and crannies of the building you remember, but haven't given a second thought to in several decades - the floor tiles, the coat pegs, the pipes. I was so happy that I went. That night there was a disco organised with more songs from each of the decades.

Sounds like an amazing farewell x