PDA

View Full Version : Children that dont interact

keohane1
29-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Have you ever had a 2 year old child that never smiles, never interacts with others, no get up and go but is happy just to stand and watch and only gets excited or babbles when mummy is coming?
How did you deal with this or how would you deal with this?
I am fully aware that all children are different but would this be a worry to you if it had been going on for 7 months.
P.s it doesn't happen at home - child never shuts up apparantly

Ripeberry
29-04-2015, 08:26 AM
My eldest was a bit like that as a young child. It went away when she started school, but came back in secondary school. They think it's 'selective mutism'. But I can concur, that she never shuts up at home! :p

JCrakers
29-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I have a 32m old who I've had since he was 6months old. He has always been full of life, enjoyed groups but recently (last 6m) he's become very quiet, hates the groups, wont join in and sometimes cries really pitifully if he gets too crowded. He's very timid and will back away from social situations, if anyone speaks to him he occasionally bursts into tears.

I've put it down to a phase...he's developing his social awareness, he's more aware of people looking at him and gets embarrassed very easily. His Dad is very quiet too. I'm still trying to encourage him to join in things but also at the same time respect that he doesn't want to. He can be fine with his 2yr old male friend/mindee but can be quiet with his 3yr old female friend/mindee on a different day.(she can be quite bossy and I think he's not keen on that)

There could be many reasons that his behaviour has changed, keep an eye on him. Something could have happened at home or it could be nothing more than a phase. Just keep encouraging him to play and join in. Does he have a certain interest? Planes,dinosaurs,insects? Something that you could incorporate to make him more interested.

loocyloo
29-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I've had a mindee for 2 1/2yrs since she was 1. She still stands and watches alot of the time and has really only started talking to me/other children in the last 6 mths, even though I know she chatters at home.
When she is with me she even refuses to acknowledge her big sister when we see her at school!
But she is perfectly happy to come and play and joins in when she wants ... Just very quietly!

TinyTinker
29-04-2015, 02:15 PM
I had a 19mo who started with me and was like this, would just stand in one place, if you looked at her or spoke to her she would cry. IF the other children went over to her she would cry. Otherwise would just stand there.

I used to give her her space, interact on her terms, do activities near her but not force her to join in, leave things for her to look at or play with close by but not give them to her. She was slow to settle and didn't interact for a good few months. In the garden she used to just stand there and not play on anything. Eventually she would and although now a shy 5 year old she is confident with us and the children she knows - she's happy, plays, interacts, and even bosses the children she knows well around! :)