PDA

View Full Version : Charging for General Election day = TTO

trickiedickie
28-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I only work term time and only charge parents when I work term time. I would say three quarters of the schools within my area are closed as being used for Polling.

My children's school are open so I have charged for 7th May. I can only childmind 2 children a day. The two I have on 7th May are siblings, one at nursery the other not. I charge less for nursery child as always at nursery. Anyhow, I just charged my usual for 7th May. Half day for oldest sibling.

After receiving the invoice the parent emailed me questioning if I was working the 7th as all schools/nurseries closed. I emailed back that my children's school was open so I am open for business and fully intend on working. She just came back saying that was fine she just thought it would be easier for me not to work with nurseries etc closed. I made a joke of it but stuck to my guns that I was working. The parent isn't a school teacher. She is self employed and term time suits her.

Anyhow a friend of mine commented today that I would be off on the 7th May.

Am I being unreasonable not giving the parent the choice? I now feel that maybe I've been a bit unreasonable. Think because it is 2 siblings it is alot of money for me to lose especially when that money is accounted for this month.

I will cover myself for this on all future contracts so parents know I am always open on polling days!

Thanks.

Mouse
28-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I think you're right.

Polling day is not a holiday, so you don't need to close for TTO children. In my contracts I make it clear that term dates (for TTO contracts) are those set by the LA. Any days within the school term have to be paid for (unless I am closed for some reason). That includes inset days and unexpected school closures that fall within the term.

As some of my families are in a different LA to me I attach a print out of my LA's term dates to their contract in case their holidays are different.

trickiedickie
28-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mouse. Feel much better now for standing my ground. I don't get paid for non term time days, can't afford to lose term time days as well. Good idea about attaching the holiday term dates.

Simona
29-04-2015, 09:09 AM
I only work term time and only charge parents when I work term time. I would say three quarters of the schools within my area are closed as being used for Polling.

My children's school are open so I have charged for 7th May. I can only childmind 2 children a day. The two I have on 7th May are siblings, one at nursery the other not. I charge less for nursery child as always at nursery. Anyhow, I just charged my usual for 7th May. Half day for oldest sibling.

After receiving the invoice the parent emailed me questioning if I was working the 7th as all schools/nurseries closed. I emailed back that my children's school was open so I am open for business and fully intend on working. She just came back saying that was fine she just thought it would be easier for me not to work with nurseries etc closed. I made a joke of it but stuck to my guns that I was working. The parent isn't a school teacher. She is self employed and term time suits her.

Anyhow a friend of mine commented today that I would be off on the 7th May.

Am I being unreasonable not giving the parent the choice? I now feel that maybe I've been a bit unreasonable. Think because it is 2 siblings it is alot of money for me to lose especially when that money is accounted for this month.

I will cover myself for this on all future contracts so parents know I am always open on polling days!

Thanks.

I hope I have not got the wrong end of the stick on your question but I would question why this parent is telling you ...or suggesting...that you should close because it is polling day and nurseries and schools are?

You are entitled to stay open and operate normally...it is your business, your income and your decision.

I do sometimes feel that some parents...not all....have decided they should dictate the terms of our businesses and take the much misused 'flexibility' option too far.

Apologies if I got this wrong but if a parent told me what to do on polling day I would not hesitate to state the obvious to them.

NightOwl
29-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Why would you close. You're not a polling station. Your business is your own. :-)

AliceK
29-04-2015, 11:23 AM
When I had TTO children I only classed the school as closed on the dates published by the LA. Any additional days on top eg, snow days, floating inset days, emergencies etc I would NOT class as a closed day for paying invoices. I made this very clear on my paperwork.

xxx

trickiedickie
29-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I now feel that I wasn't out of order wanting to work Polling day! The Mum works from home on the one day a week I have the children. The Dad is self employed too and I think work is slack at the moment, which is why she was probably hoping I would be happy to take the day off (no pay of course).

She has accepted it but the Dad has now asked if I can start half an hour earlier than they usually arrive (but still within contract time) and finish an hour and a half later than I usually finish (outwith contract time!) tomorrow. I have agreed and not charging them. I have done them a few favours like this. The oldest child starts school in August and younger sibling nusery. I will be handing them their notice at end of May so only 8 more weeks of them. The children are lovely I just can't stand the constant favour asking. I will be happy not to have to work with the parents anymore. Don't think they will need me anyhow once oldest is at school and youngest at nursery so think things will be fine between us.

I don't want any hard feeling as their oldest starts school with my youngest.