PDA

View Full Version : Classical music thoughts

FloraDora
25-04-2015, 08:37 PM
I listened to a radio 4 programme this afternoon as I blitzed my kitchen - it was about Bach chello concerto 1 - we played it at our wedding..theme tune to Dangerfield too.
It got me thinking because I no longer listen to these concertos.

At lunch we always play classical music, Pachelbel, Tchaikovsky and mozart are our current choices, I love that my 2 year olds make the decision every lunch as if they were deciding between 3 Disney themes...
It's what you expose them too....but I can't believe I have never thought to offer Bach chello concerto, such a relaxing and significant ( at the time) piece of music!
My reflection this afternoon made me think that it was about time I offered a different selection...Bach will be on the list now.....but what else?
I feel I should perhaps play some Elgar - being Midlands UK ...his birth place...

Any suggestions for what else??

Current music played over lunch:
Mozart CD : brilliant selection which I bought when it was much cheaper!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000002130?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detail-page

Pachelbel Cannon is my all time fav after eldest , at 15 played lead at Birmingham Symphony Hall ( tears !!)

Tchaikovsky is the nutcracker, we saw the ballet last December and played afterwards and it sort of stuck - but they love it best.

loocyloo
25-04-2015, 09:03 PM
the children like Vivaldis four seasons, but I can't say I'm that keen!

Saint Saens carnival of the animals is nice and I do like a bit of Holsts the planets.

I like some of the Benjamin Britten music - guide to the orchestra ( and I do love his Noye's Fludde .. but that's a choral work )

and then there is the wonderful Peter and the wolf by Prokofiev!

I bought the latest classic fm cd to introduce us to some new music ... must remember to play it !!!! :D

I do play a lot of choral music - Karl Jenkins ( armed man, adiemus, requiem ) Howard Goodall ( eternal light requiem ) and John Rutter ( another requiem! ) ... hmmmm I notice a theme there! I must admit - I do like a good requiem ... always a good sing!

Mouse
25-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Some of my personal favourites (so the ones the children are most exposed to!) are 1812 Overture, Bach's Toccata and Vivaldi's For Seasons. My choices don't tend to be very relaxing, so I'll often play them while we're in the garden and the children can run round. The 1812 Overture is a good accompaniment to splashy water play!

Maza
28-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Now I'm inspired to play more classical music to the children. We go through phases and I usually play some of the ones mentioned above. Don't know all of the ones mentioned though - or like many people, when I look them up I will recognise them but had no idea who composed them. Mouse, we always play the 1812 Overture when we do large splash painting firework pictures for Bonfire night. It's become a tradition. I like the thought of playing it for splashy water play!

Totally different genre, but this week we have been listening to 'Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs'. It's so catchy and I always find that children love it. My favourite artist is LS Lowry and we saw a huge painting of his in a Museum when we visited Manchester over Easter and so DD is quite fascinated. All my mindees and my DD have at least one parent from Manchester (total coincidence, we all live in London) and so it is quite nice to learn about a City which is special to all of us. This morning, we had the wooden blocks out and had made a train track out of a flattened cardboard box. We were listening to the music and the boys decided that they were going to 'build Manchester'. It was one of those gorgeous moments that you wished other people could experience too. It literally was a 'moment' because after about one minute they decided to build Legoland instead!

That song is special to me too because I remember singing along to it with my grandparents when I was little.

rickysmiths
28-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Music of all sorts is so good for children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtj300j129k

I love this we came out of the Church to it after our Wedding. We were married in St Clement Danes Strand in London so had a long enough aisle to make it worth while, I remember standing at the church door in the sunshine listening to the end of it Amazing.

This is quite cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magnG5fJDIA

and this!! Now you have got me going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

Mouse
28-04-2015, 01:11 PM
This week we're listening to The Beatles. Mindees already know Hey Jude as it's the ringtone on my phone - they all sing along when my phone rings!

hectors house
28-04-2015, 03:42 PM
We listened to Uptown Funk in the car last week - I do this to a zumba routine so I like the song. I put in on youtube while children had their lunch and then it automatically went onto a Bruno Mars album - I am not sure which song it was but imagine my horror when I realised the lyrics being sung were mother fxxker! I don't think the children were really listening but I leapt up to switch it off - maybe I should follow your lead and play classical instrumental music so the lyrics won't catch me out. :D

Simona
28-04-2015, 04:14 PM
the children like Vivaldis four seasons, but I can't say I'm that keen!

Saint Saens carnival of the animals is nice and I do like a bit of Holsts the planets.

I like some of the Benjamin Britten music - guide to the orchestra ( and I do love his Noye's Fludde .. but that's a choral work )

and then there is the wonderful Peter and the wolf by Prokofiev!

I bought the latest classic fm cd to introduce us to some new music ... must remember to play it !!!! :D

I do play a lot of choral music - Karl Jenkins ( armed man, adiemus, requiem ) Howard Goodall ( eternal light requiem ) and John Rutter ( another requiem! ) ... hmmmm I notice a theme there! I must admit - I do like a good requiem ... always a good sing!

Try Mozart's Requiem especially Confutatis ...if you ever watched the film Amadeus it is quite stirring.

Not classical but I love the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony 'Pandemonium Drummers' with Evelyn Glennie...1000 drummers can get you going!

Anyone for opera?

loocyloo
28-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Try Mozart's Requiem especially Confutatis ...if you ever watched the film Amadeus it is quite stirring.

Not classical but I love the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony 'Pandemonium Drummers' with Evelyn Glennie...1000 drummers can get you going!

Anyone for opera?

Oooo I love Mozart s requiem too ... in fact ... Don't think I've met a requiem I didn't like! :-) ;-)

I'm not so keen on opera although Carmen is ok!

I like a bit of Gilbert and Sullivan, and classic musicals!

rickysmiths
28-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Anyone for opera?

One of our friends was one of the drummers.

Simona
28-04-2015, 08:27 PM
One of our friends was one of the drummers.

I bet your friend is still drumming away!!
One of my neighbours was a NHS nurse in the opening ceremony...that was a catchy tune too!

Loocyloo...you must be able to sing Nessun dorma? I love it but got sick of it during the World Cup!

loocyloo
28-04-2015, 09:16 PM
I bet your friend is still drumming away!!
One of my neighbours was a NHS nurse in the opening ceremony...that was a catchy tune too!

Loocyloo...you must be able to sing Nessun dorma? I love it but got sick of it during the World Cup!

not struck! I think Pavarotti killed it for me!

FloraDora
29-04-2015, 11:47 AM
One of my LO's announced this morning that boys can't be ballet dancers!

I popped on the nutcracker, we listen to the music but never watch it, the intention was to find an extract to show male dancers....but they are hooked ! They are twirling gently too...watching the orchestra......putting their arms up, all mesmerised by the vision and sound.....awe and wonder.

loocyloo
29-04-2015, 11:49 AM

I popped on the nutcracker, we listen to the music but never watch it, the intention was to find an extract to show male dancers....but they are hooked ! They are twirling gently too...watching the orchestra......putting their arms up, all mesmerised by the vision and sound.....awe and wonder.

:-) brilliant :-)

Simona
29-04-2015, 12:02 PM

He needs to watch Billy Elliot!