PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessing toys

mumofone
25-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have a general risk assessment for their toys/resources? I'm thinking of doing one but struggling with what to write now Ive decided to do one!!

moggy
25-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Are you creating unnecessary paperwork??!! My RA just says something about making sure toys are clean, safe and age appropriate. I can do that without writing anything down- just a visual check and common sense!

mumofone
25-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Are you creating unnecessary paperwork??!! My RA just says something about making sure toys are clean, safe and age appropriate. I can do that without writing anything down- just a visual check and common sense!

Haha quite possibly! When you say your risk assessment says - Is that a specific risk assessment you've written for toys though moggy?

alex__17
25-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I have a risk assessment that covers the house and everything in it room by room which includes toys (similar to previous post), separate one for garden and regular outings eg park etc

Maza
25-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I agree, a one liner will cover it.

During my Ofsted inspection the children requested a particular toy and so I got it out for them. It was a bit dusty and so we got the wipes out and all the children helped to clean it (literally right at the inspector's feet) before they played with it. It's real life. She mentioned something in my report about how clean and well maintained all of the toys were.

FloraDora
25-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Mine is a one liner too, 'as and when' being the key words.

I do however have a set of unwritten down head routines of washing all the duplo, smallworld once a month or even sooner - depending on the extent of snotty noses!

Unlike school, my home sometimes harbours dusty items that have not been used for a while, which we clean ' as and when ' we need to....

moggy
25-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Haha quite possibly! When you say your risk assessment says - Is that a specific risk assessment you've written for toys though moggy?

No, just a line in my general room-by-room RA.

Simona
26-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have a general risk assessment for their toys/resources? I'm thinking of doing one but struggling with what to write now Ive decided to do one!!

As mentioned below toys need to be age appropriate and in good condition...that is the only RA you need
In your H&Safety policy you probably mention you would keep all resources/equipment in good working order and clean...that is your RA.

The only thing to check about toys is the Quality/Safety Mark...its proper name escapes me now....mechanical and soft toys carry this...if not check them and if unsure stay clear of them.

Also RA is not required anymore...in the case of toys it can be verbally explained to an inspector how you keep them clean and safe and it can be seen too.

rickysmiths
27-04-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't have any written RAs any more they are not required.

All the toys I have are good quality and I keep them clean and in good order. If they break they are thrown away. Age appropriate ones are available for the children.