PDA

View Full Version : Ants in sand tray

Maza
25-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Just changed the sand in my sand tray. The sand bag had been sitting behind my shed for over a year (sealed). I found one orange ant in it and then later mindee found one (could be the same ant...) and we got rid of his ant. Shall I get rid of the sand and buy a fresh bag? It's not very expensive and so I think I will anyway. Sorry if this is a silly question. :rolleyes:

blue bear
25-04-2015, 10:49 AM
As the orange ones nip I wouldn't want mindees top,ay in it. Hubby might use it to mix cement or something

moggy
25-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Just 2 ants? No more? then I'd say it was fine- just monitor closely. As the sand has been moved and disturbed the ants will probably go elsewhere now!

Maza
25-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks Bluebear. I wasn't sure if they were 'nippers'. Have only found two at the most but will get rid. x

blue bear
25-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to sort through it and rescue the sand?

lollipop kid
25-04-2015, 11:20 AM
I'd get rid (ant eggs?). I've just changed mine due to one playing in the sand pit, then going down with a vomiting bug (not related to the sand but as he'd just been playing in it - he also sucks his thumb - I didn't want the vomiting bug in it).

I thought better to be safe than sorry later - and all for the cost of a few quid. Plus it gave me the chance to give the sandpits a good clean. As they're really small, it wasn't such a big deal. I've kept the old sand in small, tied carrier bags (double-bagged) to use as weights around my parasol base (which I use on the grass free-standing as extra shade). Stops the parasol blowing over. Just mentioning it as it's a way of finding another use for the sand. (I'm a bit of a Womble, so I hate waste.)

If anyone has a small garden, then have a look at these little sand tables. I've got two at different areas of the garden. They fill with only one bag of sand and the cover keeps the sand totally dry. If I want to put them near each other, they're light enough for me to lift and move.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1465039.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091993285|tsid:59156|cid:189934165|lid :96720988285|nw:g|crid:68005929205|rnd:90377363202 13362826|dvc:c|adp:1o2|bku:1

Hope it helps,

:thumbsup:

L

Maza
25-04-2015, 02:49 PM
I'll have another look later. We have just plonked some stepping stones at the back of the garden and a couple are a bit wobbly so we could easily use the sand for that. I was thinking about buying some coloured sand anyway for a change, although I do like the 'natural' coloured sand too. x

mama2three
25-04-2015, 05:40 PM
No way could I replace my sand because of the odd ant..or vomiting bug either tbh....

loocyloo
25-04-2015, 05:48 PM
No way could I replace my sand because of the odd ant..or vomiting bug either tbh....

Love your sand pit!

I stir a bit of diluted sterilising solution through mine every now and again!

Maza
25-04-2015, 06:01 PM

OMG! Sandpit envy!

FloraDora
26-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Detail - RoSPA (http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail/?id=386)

Just posted this on another thread- for bigger sand areas - like the wonderful one with a troll bridge leading to it below- Rospa also have a maintenance info sheet.

I would use the sand for something else too, just in case of eggs etc..

I have looked at that type of bridge in garden centres and DH always says he could make one, but I've never been able to think of where it could go or how I would use it - leading to a lovely sand area is a great idea. I couldn't do it big and I need it to be something else when grown ups use the garden - I'm wondering if I could create a little outdoor zen area and when the LO's go home it becomes a little tranquil corner with nicely made squiggly lines in the sand? Mmm got me thinking.......