PDA

View Full Version : night time childminding in chils home...

cmck
25-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Hi, I'm in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I'm currently unemployed but going through the process of becoming a child minder in my own home and have also completed a Level 2 QCF in childcare and have completed courses in food hygiene, child protection, first aid... I am a childline volunteer and have worked in two schools and have two grown up kids of my own so am well experienced with children ...
I've been asked to look after a new baby two nights a week in the child's own home to help the mum get some sleep as she has no other help with night feeds. I'm wondering how much I should charge per hour. It will initially be from 9pm to 7am approximately ... How much should I charge per hour? It's on a temporary basis til baby is sleeping better or until my business is up and running. How much can I earn and how many hours can I work before Job seekers allowance is affected?
It will be great experience for my child minding business but I know two nights work will also have a knock on affect to the following days if it's been sleepless nights.
Advice on all aspects would be great thanks... Especially ones I've not thought about.

loocyloo
25-04-2015, 06:31 PM
ooooo .... how lovely!

sorry, I don't have much advice, as I've never done it, and I'm not in Northern Ireland, so I don't know the rules and regulations.

but as far as charging goes, i would have a bit of a search on the internet to see what people are charging and also, how much you feel it is worth to you for you to quite possibly be awake all night and then for another night, so having to sort out /get used to some daytime sleep so you can handle a baby possibly being awake all night!

i would do a bit of reading about helping babies learn to go to sleep/sleep better etc!

good luck x