PDA

View Full Version : First mindees signed up!

Ellisha
24-04-2015, 02:14 PM
So I registered in Feb and the first couple of months were slow going, but the last week or so I've had a lot of enquiries and I now have 2 mindees signed up! I had my first settling in session this morning for one child and have another next week. I'm excited about getting started. But also nervous about forgetting something important paperwork wise and about the huge responsibility of looking after someone elses child!

Does anyone have any advice for those first few days/weeks with new mindees?

chris goodyear
24-04-2015, 05:30 PM
I do a month 'trial' period which I find is quite common where I just get to know the child and vice versa. So get them used to your routine and really concentrate on getting to know their ways, it usually takes between 2 and 4 weeks and then you will find it is easier. I find the first 2 weeks is sometimes hard work but after that is fine. Don't be scared of enforcing your rules as it's best to start as you mean to go on and kids adapt very quickly.

Amanda70
24-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Well done Ellisha, it's exciting!! I've just applied to Ofsted so nervous about that but also excited to start minding :thumbsup:

lollipop kid
24-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Well done!

Best advice I can offer is that the first year can be like a baptism of fire - so think "safety, safety, safety" and watch the children like a hawk. I would also say stick to either the younger or the after-school age group - don't mix the age groups yet as they both come with different challenges that don't always gel together.

Good luck. I hope you have a long and happy career as a Childminder.

:thumbsup:

L

natlou82
24-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Ooh lollipop kid I mixed from day 1! I always like to be thrown into the deep end in a new job lol! Good luck, my advice - "tomorrow is a new day" you will have bad days but they will soon be followed by the best days ever! Working with children is very unpredictable but a year in I love it! I agree with the others that you need to set your boundaries particularly with any older ones - routine and structure are key - I tell mine that I want them to have fun and enjoy their time but it's not a party house.

Sammy Jo T
26-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Congratulations! That's fantastic news! :clapping:

mumofone
26-04-2015, 08:51 PM
So I registered in Feb and the first couple of months were slow going, but the last week or so I've had a lot of enquiries and I now have 2 mindees signed up! I had my first settling in session this morning for one child and have another next week. I'm excited about getting started. But also nervous about forgetting something important paperwork wise and about the huge responsibility of looking after someone elses child! Does anyone have any advice for those first few days/weeks with new mindees?

Yay well done great news! :-)

JCrakers
27-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Excellent news.
It can be hard for the first couple of weeks as everyone gets used to each other but then you will start to relax. Don't feel as if you've made a mistake or cant cope as you will soon relax and get into the swing of things. It can be daunting to start with.

I've been looking after children since I was 19 and now I'm 40 and I still get a bit nervous and flap about when new children start..lol I don't think it gets any easier, but after a week or two everything calms down and routines are made.