PDA

View Full Version : Burthday presents for mindees

mumofone
24-04-2015, 06:21 AM
What dyou do for your mindees birthdays? I'm happy to celebrate theirs but my mindee yesterday (Yep the 6 year old!!) basically said if she's here in her birthday that I'll have to give her a present! I'm kind of in dread because whatever I get her she'll probably moan! What kind of thing would you buy a mindee and how much would you spend etc?

mumofone
24-04-2015, 06:21 AM
What dyou do for your mindees birthdays? I'm happy to celebrate theirs but my mindee yesterday (Yep the 6 year old!!) basically said if she's here in her birthday that I'll have to give her a present! I'm kind of in dread because whatever I get her she'll probably moan! What kind of thing would you buy a mindee and how much would you spend etc?

Birthday not burthday obviously!

natlou82
24-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Again it's very rude and cheeky of her to suggest that. I personally like to buy my mindees a birthday gift although it is not an expectation. I bought a present for one of mine also 6 last week and he and the parents were very grateful :-) I spent £8 but he comes everyday and I've been looking after him a year. I would probably spend a little less for a newer mindee. A book or similar is a nice gift x

tess1981
24-04-2015, 06:55 AM
I have a Disney colouring book a good set of makers a tiny bottle of perfume and a frozen colouring set for my 3 yo today. It would have cost me £6 or £7. She loves wearing perfume and colouring and I got it all either pound land or reduced in a sale. All children get a present for their birthday and Christmas with no more than £10 spent on a present

loocyloo
24-04-2015, 06:56 AM
I buy something little that I know they will enjoy or a book. I look for things throughout the year to add to my 'present cupboard'. I send presents home for EY children and then Schoolies who won't be here on their birthday. Schoolies who are here usually choose to have their pressie here!
I give a card from myself and 'everyone at loocyloo s house'

If the child is with me on their actual birthday then EY children choose what we do ( feed ducks and go on the bus is current birthday activity of choice! ) and what we have for any meal they are here for. Schoolies choose what is for tea. And I make a birthday cake. Sing happy birthday. We put up birthday bunting and balloons.

If the child hasn't come on their birthday, then the next day they come we have small iced buns and sing happy birthday.

Sometimes parents send a birthday cake/treats etc.

Maza
24-04-2015, 09:00 AM
I put balloons on my front door so that they see them as they arrive (I have to do this a couple of minutes before they are due to arrive and take them down asap as we share a front door with grumpy neighbours). I do mindees favourite meals that day and we have a (cheap) cake with candles for pudding. Sometimes we will make a cake for them depending on which minds I have. I do get them a little gift for about £7. I don't buy fancy wrapping paper - usually some tissue paper that our Children's Centre sells for 3p a sheet. We all make a card. Mine are all very grateful, as are the parents.

I also have a 'present' cupboard with generic (and some with specific children in mind) presents that I collect throughout the year. Maybe on 'three for two' offers or other sales etc.

I'm sorry this mindee is a challenge. With children like that you have to give them tons of praise for the tiniest kind thing that they say or do. Don't take anything for granted, so if they pass something to another child, or go a few minutes without saying anything condescending then let them know that you have noticed and how happy you are. x

Mouse
24-04-2015, 09:15 AM
When is her birthday? Is it coming up soon?

I usually give books or craft stuff. I rarely buy toys.

hectors house
24-04-2015, 12:20 PM
The Book People have reasonable priced book sets which can be split it you have children of similar ages - I am going to a mindees birthday party tomorrow, he will be 4, have bought him a spiderman stationery set that I spotted on Argos clearance and have a story book about a Superkid that I bought from Sainsbury's for £1 I think. Probably cost £5 in total but he only comes one day a week now and I still buy for his sister who I used to look after even though I don't mind for her anymore. I try to pop round with a card and bar of choc to see all my past mindees that I have looked after in the last 8 years - although last week I did take a card & bunch of flowers to a mindee who was 28 years old (I looked after her when I minded before)! Her mum is my youngest daughter's godmother. :D

Jiorjiina
24-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Books or craft stuff here too on the whole. Preferably something they can do with their parents, but once or twice I've given an item of clothing or a toy if it's something they really love (a little bag for a child who had a transporting schema, and a little tea set for a child obsessed with making tea for everyone!). Older children are pretty much always books or crafts though.

I very rarely go as high as £10 (unless it's christmas and birthday together), it's usually about the £5 mark, if that. If it's not on sale from somewhere like ELC or a toy shop, it's usually from The Works, Wilkos or a pound shop. Parents reactions vary, but generally they're happy that their child is being looked after by someone who cares enough to acknowledge a special day for their child.

Birthdays actually spent here get a cake, happy birthday singing, opening a card (from everyone here, inc the dog!) and maybe a very little present to open (generally presents go home) and their choice of activities.

Also, brothers and sisters who are still quite small usually get a little 'unbirthday' present too, unless their birthday is very close too. I have one mindee whose little brothers birthday is the day after his mum's, which is the day after his dad's, and his own is months later, so he gets a little present himself, under the guise of being such a good big brother. He got a wooden trainset bridge from wilkos (£1.20) , and a tube of bubbles (£1). He was so thrilled with the bridge that he carried it around with him all day!

I had one schoolie mindee start and realised that birthday was within the month. I got him a book about football and gave it to him to take home to open at his party with all the others. When I asked him the next time he came about how his party was, it turned out no one else came so he only had presents from his family and me! :( I've never missed a mindees birthday since, however recently they started.

tess1981
24-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I had mindee start 3 weeks before her 1st birthday think mother was shocked she got a present.. There is always a party for the children even if they not with me on their birthday day and always a present for when they come back after it

mama2three
25-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Id buy this little madam a book on manners!

blue bear
25-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Is your little darling a bit insecure underneath and her asking is her way of feeling she belongs. I had a little one like this when they first started it took quite a while for them to feel they belong and know what to expect and not need to ask.

I try to buy something I'd know they would like so colouring pencils and little note books. Amazon voucher for the kindle reader, a book, a pretty top, new book bag, quilt cover, playmobil. Are just some of the presents I've bought over the years.

mumofone
25-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Is your little darling a bit insecure underneath and her asking is her way of feeling she belongs. I had a little one like this when they first started it took quite a while for them to feel they belong and know what to expect and not need to ask. I try to buy something I'd know they would like so colouring pencils and little note books. Amazon voucher for the kindle reader, a book, a pretty top, new book bag, quilt cover, playmobil. Are just some of the presents I've bought over the years.

Perhaps....She gets one on one attention though as she's currently my only mindee (I do have to break to feed my son briefly). She gets the food she asks for (so far!), the toys she requests (so far!), the playroom and garden to herself (despite complaining she has no space?! so I'm not sure why she has any issues but I'm sure I'll find out the more time she's with me. I do feel I've created a bit of a monster by not setting ground rules from the off.

Mouse
25-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Perhaps....She gets one on one attention though as she's currently my only mindee (I do have to break to feed my son briefly). She gets the food she asks for (so far!), the toys she requests (so far!), the playroom and garden to herself (despite complaining she has no space?! so I'm not sure why she has any issues but I'm sure I'll find out the more time she's with me. I do feel I've created a bit of a monster by not setting ground rules from the off.

Having your undivided attention, getting her own way with everything and having the playroom and garden to herself probably isn't much fun for a 6 year old :( She possibly plays up out of boredom and loneliness. Hopefully once you get some more mindees she'll spend more time with them and less time being so demanding with you :thumbsup: