PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting pre-reg visit!!

Amanda70
23-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Well after what seems like a very long process I've eventually applied to Ofsted. I'm excited but nervous about the pre reg visit. Is it really that bad or when it's over did you think (why did I panic so much)?. Wonder how long il have to wait now .......

mumofone
23-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Well after what seems like a very long process I've eventually applied to Ofsted. I'm excited but nervous about the pre reg visit. Is it really that bad or when it's over did you think (why did I panic so much)?. Wonder how long il have to wait now .......

Good luck, you'll be great im sure :-)

Amanda70
24-04-2015, 07:16 AM
Good luck, you'll be great im sure :-)

Thanks, I'm nervous now, worried my mind will go blank when she asks questions :(

moggy
24-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Thanks, I'm nervous now, worried my mind will go blank when she asks questions :(

It is not a memory test- you can have your notes in front of you, make sure you prepare the pre-reg booklet and get really familiar with the questions in there as some inspectors literally ask them one by one. Have your safeguarding policy/notes in front of you too and make sure you know what to do if you suspect abuse, if you or a family member are accused and what are the types of and signs of abuse.
The inspector is there get you registered, not to catch you out, they are usually very helpful.

Amanda70
24-04-2015, 12:16 PM
It is not a memory test- you can have your notes in front of you, make sure you prepare the pre-reg booklet and get really familiar with the questions in there as some inspectors literally ask them one by one. Have your safeguarding policy/notes in front of you too and make sure you know what to do if you suspect abuse, if you or a family member are accused and what are the types of and signs of abuse.
The inspector is there get you registered, not to catch you out, they are usually very helpful.
Thank you, that's made me feel a lot Better.

greenfaerie
24-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I would advise that you casually read the Statutory Framework for the EYFS. My inspector asked me most of what was in there, but because it had been my bedtime reading for a couple of weeks it was pretty easy. I was ridiculously nervous for mine, and I didn't need to be as the inspector was absolutely lovely! She started out really positive and made me feel comfortable, so we just had a chat really. She said because I was organised the visit didn't take long, so that would be my advice, if you want her to see something, lay it out in front of you both. Policies, Risk Assessments, Photo ID and proof of Address etc. I pretty much had every one of my folders right in front of me, and knew exactly where to find anything she might want, and that made things a lot easier!

What moggy said was great advice and a lot of it was relevant for my pre reg a few weeks ago. :)

Amanda70
24-04-2015, 04:06 PM
I would advise that you casually read the Statutory Framework for the EYFS. My inspector asked me most of what was in there, but because it had been my bedtime reading for a couple of weeks it was pretty easy. I was ridiculously nervous for mine, and I didn't need to be as the inspector was absolutely lovely! She started out really positive and made me feel comfortable, so we just had a chat really. She said because I was organised the visit didn't take long, so that would be my advice, if you want her to see something, lay it out in front of you both. Policies, Risk Assessments, Photo ID and proof of Address etc. I pretty much had every one of my folders right in front of me, and knew exactly where to find anything she might want, and that made things a lot easier!

What moggy said was great advice and a lot of it was relevant for my pre reg a few weeks ago. :)

How long did your pre reg take?

mumofone
24-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Mine was 3 hours, it really dragged and I have a feeling if she wasn't so desperate for her lunch it would have been 2 hours longer!!

greenfaerie
24-04-2015, 06:19 PM
How long did your pre reg take?

Mine was 2 hours 10 mins, and the inspector was surprised at how quickly the time went, she said sometimes those same questions take her over 5 hours. :S I really think having everything in front of me really helped to speed things along. Plus she was really nice and if I said too much in answer of one question then she would copy it on her laptop over to a more relevant question.

mumofone
24-04-2015, 06:31 PM
I had everything ready to hand for mine too but it still took 3 hours. Would have been longer if she actually looked round my garden properly but she didn't bother!

greenfaerie
24-04-2015, 08:20 PM
That's surprising, since my inspector spent most of the house inspection in my garden. She barely glanced around the other rooms, just asked me to give her a few examples of what safety measures I've put in place. I was expecting her to look around more (I've been stressing like mad over every tiny possible risk) but she barely looked. I guess she felt like she knew enough based on my summary of my RAs.

Mrsgrant
26-04-2015, 11:03 AM
I am currently waiting for my pre-reg visit to and I am getting stressed out over what paperwork I need. I have folders for my policies, risk assessments, eyfs and am curently creating one for Safeguarding - What do I need to have in my safeguarding folder and do I need anything else? Also I am dreading the inspection in my garden as I think I am going to have to completely right off my garden as far as chilminding goes :(

moggy
26-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I am currently waiting for my pre-reg visit to and I am getting stressed out over what paperwork I need. I have folders for my policies, risk assessments, eyfs and am curently creating one for Safeguarding - What do I need to have in my safeguarding folder and do I need anything else? Also I am dreading the inspection in my garden as I think I am going to have to completely right off my garden as far as chilminding goes :(

You do not 'need' a Safeguarding folder, I do not have one. So there is not a list of what you 'need' in one. You need to know your safeguarding and have a policy worked out, have you done your safeguarding training? That should have you well prepared, especially with the local information you need (how to contact local child protection authorities).

As for your garden, is it unsafe? Do you have a plan for how you can give the children daily outside time elsewhere, if you do not feel able to use your own garden?

I hope it goes well for you x

Amanda70
03-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Hi Moggy, just to let you know that my inspector didn't ask the questions from the booklet, they were different which threw me a bit but still answered them ok. In fact she told me it's best just to answer her than look at my notes which I thought was a bit harsh. She was with me 2 hrs 15 mins so not too bad in the end.