PDA

View Full Version : Toys for 2 year olds

kmc13
22-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Good evening,

I currently look after two nearly 2 year olds. Please can you tell me what toys/activities you think are good for this age group or any favourites in your home?

loocyloo
23-04-2015, 05:59 AM
Blocks and duplo

Balls in every shape and form! ... throwing rolling posting etc

Cars/garage

Trains/track

Sensory play

Being outside and being active.

My just 2 and coming up 2 are all boys and don't stay still for a moment!

Mouse
23-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Wooden blocks

Treasure basket

Anything noisy

Bags and boxes to put things in

Water play

Sand play

Slide/climbing frame

Duplo

hectors house
23-04-2015, 01:05 PM
My 2 year olds like the Happyland train track & vehicles - they aren't bothered by the people, animals or buildings (unless they make a noise).

Water play in the garden

vehicles and dinosaurs in the sand pit

Fisher Price garage & cars

Being out on a walk, jumping in mud and puddles, climbing over logs, feeding the ducks

I mostly have boys of this age, my girls are currently younger so will have to see what they like next year - maybe they will like whatever the boys are playing with, maybe we will have to find out the dolls and pushchairs?

moggy
23-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Baby dolls
Dolls' buggy
Ride-on's
Sand pit
Tea set

lollipop kid
23-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Most of the above here as well (mixture of boys and girls).

All play with buggies here. Boys/girls just put their favourite toys in them (one day a boy has put in a train, next day it's a little truck etc. One boy puts his favourite bunny in. Girls tend to put a 'baby' in - one of the dolls or a toy from home) - then they all race each other up and down the setting (three rooms on the ground floor, so a great run for pushchairs!). They've all learned the phrase - "No running. Walk." and I quite often hear them calling this out to each other if one is deemed to be going too fast on the wooden floor/tiles, so risking a fall.

Home corner is popular as well - whether in the garden (using leaves/sticks/water etc.) or in my home corner area.

Then there is the playhouse, and any dens I've put out. (Tents were a big favourite last week as I put road rugs and cars in them and there was enough room for two boys to play side by side with separate road rugs, and a small box of cars each. They were in heaven!)

I've also just bought a big canopy from Ikea and managed to hook it up using carabiners and string plus a couple of tent pegs. It was high at one end and low at the other, just making a massive den, and there was enough room to put benches, a grass rug, table with water cups, books, home corner bits etc. etc. in it. A real bedouin's tent. The children had a ball.

L

FloraDora
23-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Similar to what has been stated.

Plus: hairdressing resources,
Boxes and bowls and bags with small things - I have a set of tetley tea men, sorting vehicles, teddies, farm animals and people that they transfer to different containers. Loose natural things too, this is indoor and outdoor,they just change the container to pots and buckets and baskets.
Love the ikea bowls, beakers plates and cutlery at a £1 a set, sort and fill and bang.
Any sort of musical activity, dancing with scarves, ribbons and balloons, instruments
Walking out with buggy, finding basket, feeding ducks, wind ribbons balls on string/ anything on string.
Big Playmobil vehicles
Duplo

Chalkboards, whiteboards
Dribbling glue....
Books

lollipop kid
23-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Similar to what has been stated.

Plus: hairdressing resources,
Boxes and bowls and bags with small things - I have a set of tetley tea men, sorting vehicles, teddies, farm animals and people that they transfer to different containers. Loose natural things too, this is indoor and outdoor,they just change the container to pots and buckets and baskets.
Love the ikea bowls, beakers plates and cutlery at a £1 a set, sort and fill and bang.
Any sort of musical activity, dancing with scarves, ribbons and balloons, instruments
Walking out with buggy, finding basket, feeding ducks, wind ribbons balls on string/ anything on string.
Big Playmobil vehicles
Duplo

Chalkboards, whiteboards
Dribbling glue....
Books

Thanks, FloraDora. You just reminded me of one my lot love (but usually when a bit closer to 3).

Take an old pair of tights. Cut the legs off. Pop a tennis ball or similar into each separate leg (balls from a ballpit are perfect.) Tie each leg to a tree branch (I use separate trees). Then give the children a bat and let them bat the ball. I put a hook on a low branch so the bat will fit on there and I can leave it out all year (plastic bat).

This activity works best for one child to play at a time - unless there's enough room between the trees - as you don't want them to bat each other!

:D

L