PDA

View Full Version : Vonit!

KatieFS
22-04-2015, 01:19 PM
I had situation where child was sick at lunch. I sent home as per my policy, there wS a lot of it (sorry!) and he felt hot, says he didn't feel well and wanted mummy.

However he gets home and is fine!

I really do not like dealing with sick children, had a horrible experience last year with a child who collapsed after they were sick. And added to that I have been ill recently and cannot afford to take any more time off. If I'd have felt he had choked then of course might have kept him but there was so much of it .

Just wondered what you guys would do? A few of my mouth new friends say they send home immediately as you can never he sure what it is and may well be a bug

lollipop kid
22-04-2015, 01:31 PM
this is what I have in my policy:

"A child must not attend setting if they are showing signs of nausea (e.g. off their food), are vomiting or have diarrhoea (loose or liquid bowel movements). They should not be in a childcare setting until 48 hours after the last episode of diarrhoea and/or vomiting, and should be symptom-free for at least 24 hours without the aid of medication before returning."

It also says:

"Should your child become sick in my care, you should be prepared to collect or arrange for the collection of your child within the hour if you are contacted. Should the person picking up your child not be known to me, please advise me in advance of any password that they might use so that I know that I am releasing your child to the correct person. Until collection, I will make your child as comfortable as possible, isolate them from the other children if necessary and reassure them. If I suspect that your designated person is intoxicated by drugs or alcohol, and I do not deem them to be in a fit condition to safely care for your child, I will refuse to release your child to their care and contact you to arrange for an alternative."

I always ask the child to stay off for a minimum of 24 hours after sending home (e.g. with a temperature); and always 48 hours for D&V.

Hope it helps.

L

AliceK
22-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Sick is sick to me. Unless it's just a baby bringing some milk up or a child obviously gagging and then bringing up a mouthful of food. Apart from that if it's sick sick then they get sent straight home and 48hr period is in force. Maybe they will be fine during that 48hr period but that's my rules and I wont take any chances with vomiting :panic:

xx

Maza
22-04-2015, 03:18 PM
To my policy I have just added " If I call you to let you know that your child has been sick please do not ask me to 'see how they get on' because it is not fair on your child, the other children or me'.

My heart sinks when parents on the other end of the phone say that, because I hate having to phone them in the first place . With my first vomiting mindee I let a parent talk me into 'seeing how they get on' and within half an hour I had another load of vomit to clean off my carpet. I was so angry at myself for being a wuss. I am much firmer now.

Georgiepoo
22-04-2015, 04:51 PM
My policy is if they are sick 24hr incubation, parents must collect when called and I am still paid.
If my child is sick I follow same policy that children must be collected and I will give 24hr incubation period without pay.

AliceK
22-04-2015, 05:22 PM
My policy is if they are sick 24hr incubation, parents must collect when called and I am still paid.
If my child is sick I follow same policy that children must be collected and I will give 24hr incubation period without pay.

Not meaning to be rude but can I ask why you only exclude for 24hrs?

xxx